Boston locals...which satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davetpilot

Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Okay, I'm sorry. I know the information is here somewhere but I've been on this forum for days and my head is about to explode! :eek:

I have a Dish 500 and a 625. I bought a Superdish that gets 110, 119 and 121. I have everything I need to set this up.

My questions...please:

1. Are Boston Local channels broadcast via spotbeam?
2. What satellite is Boston HD locals broadcast on?
3. Do I have the right setup to receive either of the 2 above?

1. No
2. 61.5
3. Yes. I assume you have the DP34 that came with the SD121. Use the SD121 to get 110 and 119 and disconnect the 121 LNB. Point the D500 at 61.5 and wire that into the DP34 where the 121 was. Check switch and go. Assumes all LNBs are DP.

Last edited:
You're full of questions today.:)

Here is what's on 121:
Dish Network Channels at 121°
Providence, RI with 2 MA channels.

Here is the whole scoop:
EKB: Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)

Per a previous Post, what type of LNBF do you have on your Dish 500, a DP Twin, or DPP Twin, or maybe something else?

EDIT:
With thanks to BFG, here are the HD Locals:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/bfg/dish-hd.htm

Sorry, just trying to get this all straight. Thanks for the help.

I have a DPP on the 500. I know that is incompatible with the dp34 so...

1. No
2. 61.5
3. Yes. I assume you have the DP34 that came with the SD121. Use the SD121 to get 110 and 119 and disconnect the 121 LNB. Point the D500 at 61.5 and wire that into the DP34 where the 121 was. Check switch and go. Assumes all LNBs are DP.

Hmm. I just saw the list and it says Boston is spot beam. I'm guessing you were talking about the HD locals?

So if Providence locals are on 121 then I can pick up Providence locals with the SD alone?

Also, I assume I would need an HD receiver to get the HD channels on 61.5 if I go that route.

So if Providence locals are on 121 then I can pick up Providence locals with the SD alone?

Also, I assume I would need an HD receiver to get the HD channels on 61.5 if I go that route.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Dish will TELL you which locals you will get. Thanks to the FCC they have no choice. If you want others you have to "move". Of course whether you get the SD or HD depends on how much money you spend.

--

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Dish will TELL you which locals you will get. Thanks to the FCC they have no choice. If you want others you have to "move". Of course whether you get the SD or HD depends on how much money you spend.

--

Oh, I know. Sorry, I wasn't specific. The difference between Boston locals and Providence locals, geographically speaking, is very small. A few miles can make a difference. We are not sure exactly where we will be living in the next several months so I was just trying to get an idea of what I need.

Oh, I know. Sorry, I wasn't specific. The difference between Boston locals and Providence locals, geographically speaking, is very small. A few miles can make a difference. We are not sure exactly where we will be living in the next several months so I was just trying to get an idea of what I need.
Ah so!
So when you go house/apartment shopping be on the lookout for those viewing angles!

I have a DPP on the 500. I know that is incompatible with the dp34 so...
If I remember right, some of Dish's documentation says the DPP Twin is compatible with the DP34 Switch, but depending on the receiver(s) you are using, you may need to add a power inserter (from a DPP44?). There are different opinions on if the DPP Twin is compatible or not with the DP34 Switch. See the docs at:
DISH Pro 500 & DISH Pro 500 Plus Information Documents | Solid Signal

I haven't looked at any updates to your other 2 posts, however...

You have:
- Dish 500 with DPP Twin dish antenna
- SuperDish 121 which includes
- - - DP LNBF (either single or dual feed)
- - - DP Compatible DBS LNBF for 119
- - - DP Compatible FSS LNBF for 121
- DP-34 Switch

You may want to consider:
- Peak Dish 500 with DPP Twin for 110 & 119.
- Feed 121 into DPP Twin
- You can run a single cable from the DPP Twin to a DPP Separator into a Dual Tuner receiver; since you will not need the DP-34.

Or... Same as above, but use the 119 LNBF on the SuperDish to get 61.5 and feed it into the DPP Twin. You could also try to peak using the 110 LNBF.

Now for the pro's..... Since I don't know.

The 625 receiver - I thought it was a MPEG2 receiver and could not receive HD Locals from Dish Network since LiL HD were only transmitted as MPEG4.

Anybody?

EDIT:

Actually I just looked it up, the 625 is a Standard Definition receiver, so you might as well not worry about any HD Satellite broadcasts. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts