Bought An Old RCA Receiver From Flea Market

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davey4000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I bought an old RCA receiver from the flea market. It already has an access card in it. The access card has a picture of a satellite on it. I already have Directv and want to install this “new” receiver at my boat dock. What is required to add the second receiver? Do I simply call Directv and give them the serial number off of the receiver and the number of the access card?

The access card will need to be replaced. You'll have to get Directv to send you a new one, typically for $20. Often times you can get this charge credited back to the account after the card is activated.

The used card simply will not work, it will be permanently tied to the previous users account.

That's a bummer. I wanted to fire it up today. Do you know if they normally respond quickly when sending a new card?

And you would have to hope that this receiver came off an account that is in good standing (active or not). If not they will not order any accesss card for it.

Most of the used recievers go for $5 to $10 - and you have no lease commitments

I ordered a new card from D*. The cost was $20 as mentioned here and there was nothing said about a credit back to my account. They did tell me I had 9 days to activate it however. There was also nothing mentioned about my used receiver when I gave them the model and serial numbers. They just processed my order.

Looks like I'm all set...just waiting for the card to arrive. Thanks for the replys.

I have also read where they give credit back to the account for the $20 that they charge for a card but have also seen where they have not offered the $20. They refused to waive the $20 while I was there and I immediately switched them to Dish Network. They lost a long-term customer over $20.

10 years and 3+ used add-ons over time and NEVER had any issue getting money back. I can't count the number of friends and relatives with the same results.

10 years and 3+ used add-ons over time and NEVER had any issue getting money back. I can't count the number of friends and relatives with the same results.

I've activated a total of 4 boxes that I've gottten from ebay. Twice the CSR made me order the new card (I never thought to try to get reimbursed), twice they let me activate it under the old card. I activated one last week that had not been activated in 3 years (under someone else's name) and they turned it on without a new card)

"I activated one last week that had not been activated in 3 years (under someone else's name) and they turned it on without a new card)"

WTF? This practice stop long, long, ago.

"I activated one last week that had not been activated in 3 years (under someone else's name) and they turned it on without a new card)"

I done the same thing about 3 months ago.

No joke... I was just hoping to get lucky and thought I would call to see if they would activate it. I was shocked

If the old access card is not active on another account then a clueless CSR could activate it on a different account. They're not supposed to of course, but it happens. What should happen is the CSR should've ran the card # through billing and see what account it used to be on then see if that account is in collections. If not then off to the Access Card team they go.

I received a new access card from D*. I was unable to self activate it and neither could the CSR. They transferred me to the Access Card Team and they took care of it in 2-3 minutes. I don't know why the self activation didn't work or why the CSR couldn't do it unless it had something to do with the old receiver. Frankly I got weary of repeating the model/serial of the receiver so it must have had something to do with it. At any rate, I'm good to go now. Everyone's input was greatly appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)