BUD in my yard now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freezy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Land of Sky Blue Water
I just hauled a Chapparel 8ft I think. The mesh is an 1/8th of an inch There are 3 cables going to the LNBf and one to the actuator.
It a SuperTrac II + HQ

The cover on the LNB looks like a big thimble

What do I have on my hands here? What else do I need to get it going?

I'll post i pic soon but I figured you guys would know anyway

The 3 wires to the LNB is for the polorotor to switch polarities. If you want to use that LNB you need either a analog receiver/4DTV or a FTA receiver with the spot on the back to wire up the polorotor (or get a voltage LNBF) :)

To move the dish without using a 4DTV or analog box you need a G-Box. This hooks between the FTA receiver and the actuator to move the dish. You would set up the motor in the FTA menus using Diseqc 1.2 (these G-Boxes do not use USALS)

oh congrats on the find :)

The 3 wires to the LNB is for the polorotor to switch polarities. If you want to use that LNB you need either a analog receiver/4DTV or a FTA receiver with the spot on the back to wire up the polorotor (or get a voltage LNBF) :)

To move the dish without using a 4DTV or analog box you need a G-Box. This hooks between the FTA receiver and the actuator to move the dish. You would set up the motor in the FTA menus using Diseqc 1.2 (these G-Boxes do not use USALS)

oh congrats on the find :)

Huh?

From your original post you mention 3 wires off the LNB. If they are red/white/black and attached to a little blue box then you have a LNB (not a LNBF). A LNB requires those 3 wires to attach to either a 4DTV or analog receiver (all have plugs for them) or on some FTA receivers you can hook them up to it. A Pansat 3500/2700 for example have the plugs. Very few FTA receivers do. This allows the polarity to be changed. Older LNB's only have one "skew notch" in them which moves as you change polarity. The receiver has to physically send a signal to move that "notch"

Newer LNBF's have 2 notches for both polarities. The receiver just changes polarity and doesnt physically move anything in the LNBF.

As Auric noted, a LNBF is easier to use especially if you dont have a 4DTV.

As for the actuator, that is what moves the dish. They require 36 volts if I remember right. FTA receivers cant control them whereas analog receivers can. Folks buy a G-Box to put in between the receiver and the actuator to make the dish move. The G-Box sends the commands to the actuator to move the dish

I don't see any wires going in anywhere. It looks like 3 bonded CAC6u cables running up to the LNB cone thingy. The ends were chopped off, so I suppose I need to strip them to be sure.

I think Iceberg is right.
Take off the nose-cone (LNB cover) and you'll see.

I'm betting there is:
- one coax to the C-band LNB,
- one coax to the Ku-band LNB,
- and the third cable contains multiple small wires which go to the blue-box (servo) described above.
I don't see three cables going to an LNBF or C-only system (unless the fellow just ran a spare coax. - :rolleyes:

Here are some representative pictures on the Geo-Orbit site which may make it all clear.

how far can those cables run? I had to put my offset on the roof to clear the trees. There is a clearing about 300 yards from my house. Is that too far?

edit:
It's just a c-band and it has the little blue box

49 bucks + shppng not bad

DMX741 Standard CKU C and Ku Digital LNB LNBF for Linear or circular Reception of C or Ku Band Satellites & FTA satellites

It's far, but not out of reach.
I bought 14 AWG & 12 AWG to run my Actuator...I spent $200 on 4ea 500' spools 2ea 14 gage, & 2ea 12 gage
I spend $100 on Conduit
I spend abut $120 on RG11 flooded cable

I'm sure you can do it cheaper

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)