Bud

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Dammaged dish

Just scrounged an old mesh dish . Lot of damage .
At least one rib broke and a section missing . Looks like 2/3 to 3/4 of the dish is intact ?
How much damage can a dish tolerate & still give a better signal than mt 90 cm mini bud ?
I have seen a dish shaped like a map of a state . Know that is not a perfect shape .
Realize I need to at least repair it to the extent of trying to remove as much warp as possable .
Will try to take & post some pictures tomorrow .
The mount appears to be for a square pole ? The big set screws might tighten down on a round pole ?
Had to take the dish apart to haul it .
Very slim chance the dish mover might work . Scalar ring / feed horn non adjustable Chaparrel . Doubt the polaroter works ? That goes doubble for the LNB .
Got too dark too fast to tell much more about it .
Wyr

Last edited:
Nice find, don't throw away the dish mover as they can often be refurbished. I just got a duff (not working) Superjack II actuator stripped it down found the problem fixed and rebuilt it! Good as new!
C-Band is VERY forgiving so its all about size! A few dings here and there will not be a problem.
Looking forward to the pictures!

A few dings or dents may be okay but the main thing is that the panels are not warped. You should be able to look across the rim of the dish from the side and it should be flat (no twist). You can "string" the dish to check how true it is. Run 2 strings across the dish at 90 degree angles and if the dish is true, they should
be at the same level. Hope it works out for you.

Good Find

WyrTwister said:
Just scrounged an old mesh dish . Lot of damage . How much damage can a dish tolerate & still give a better signal than mt 90 cm mini bud ?
Will try to take & post some pictures tomorrow .
The mount appears to be for a square pole ? The big set screws might tighten down on a round pole .
Had to take the dish apart to haul it .
Very slim chance the dish mover might work . Scalar ring / feed horn non adjustable Chaparrel . Doubt the polaroter works ? That goes doubble for the LNB .
Got too dark too fast to tell much more about it .
Wyr

Geez, people are really finding BUD stuff all around. It would not take me long to accumulate a garage full of stuff if I went out hunting!

Good luck with your new find!
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
Geez, people are really finding BUD stuff all around. It would not take me long to accumulate a garage full of stuff if I went out hunting!
Jeff

Heck I got a garage full of stuff, and I don't recall ever going out hunting. :)

iammike said:
Heck I got a garage full of stuff, and I don't recall ever going out hunting. :)

I am pretty cheap . Scrounging & EBay are my first 2 choince . :)

Now a new one , check out Free Cycle for stuff .

Wyr

In the process of scrounging another C band dish

Got the mount , the dish mover and the " button hook ( containing the feed horn & LNB ; before it got too dark to work .

Weather & work schedule permitting , I will go back after the dish , itself , tomorrow after work . Best I can tell it seperates into 4 or 6 sections , like petals on a flower .

This may be a 10 foot dish . Black mesh . Rate the condition of the dish about 8 on scale of 1 to 10 . Do not know if the dish mover or the electronics work , yet . Look like I have at least a 50 - 50 chance of them working .

The condition of the dish I scrounged last night is probably 2 - 3 . :-(

May have a lead on another dish . All through free cycle .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Got the mount , the dish mover and the " button hook ( containing the feed horn & LNB ; before it got too dark to work .
Weather & work schedule permitting , I will go back after the dish , itself , tomorrow after work . Best I can tell it seperates into 4 or 6 sections , like petals on a flower .
This may be a 10 foot dish . Black mesh . Rate the condition of the dish about 8 on scale of 1 to 10 . Do not know if the dish mover or the electronics work , yet . Look like I have at least a 50 - 50 chance of them working .
The condition of the dish I scrounged last night is probably 2 - 3 . :-(
May have a lead on another dish . All through free cycle .
Wyr

When you take apart the dish try to mark what panel goes where, it is best to put it back toghther the way it was before.

tdti1 said:
When you take apart the dish try to mark what panel goes where, it is best to put it back toghther the way it was before.

Good Idea , thanks . :)

If I get to it early enough this PM , so the light is good enough to see OK , I am wondering If I can seperate it into 2 pieces ? That would eleminate what you are warning about ?

If it is a 10' , the halves would be 5' , might fit in the back of a pick up , over the top of the headach rack ?

Probably less chance of damage if & take it appart in more / smaller pieces ?

Thanks , again ,
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Good Idea , thanks . :)
If I get to it early enough this PM , so the light is good enough to see OK , I am wondering If I can seperate it into 2 pieces ? That would eleminate what you are warning about ?
If it is a 10' , the halves would be 5' , might fit in the back of a pick up , over the top of the headach rack ?
Probably less chance of damage if & take it appart in more / smaller pieces ?
Thanks , again ,
Wyr

Ya if you can move it in a slice :) two parts that is ok.

tdti1 said:
Ya if you can move it in a slice :) two parts that is ok.

10' good condition dish .

Removed the rest of the hardware yesterday afternoon / nite .

Seperated it into 4 sections & got it home tonite .

Wyr

Attachments

• 10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 011.jpg
    10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 011.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 012.jpg
    10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 013.jpg
    10_Foot_C_Band_Dish 013.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 168
great find!

WyrTwister said:
Wyr[/QUOTELooks like a good quality find at that!!!
Congrats!
jeff

gizzer777 said:
WyrTwister said:
Wyr[/QUOTELooks like a good quality find at that!!!
Congrats!
jeff

Thank you . :)

Hope to get it up and going by some time this weekend .

wyr

Dish mover

Dish mover from the damaged 8' dish will do nothing .

Dish mover from the good 10' dish locked down . Seperated the motor / gear box assembly from the " screw jack " assembly .

The motor runs ( hooked up to a 12 VDC battery charger ) . The screw jack is what is locked down . Sprayed the end with penitrating oil . Hope it frees up by morning .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts