Build Vs Buy (the new computer quandry)

When putting together a new computer, which way do you go?

• Build a system from scratch.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Buy a name-brand prebuilt system. (ie dell, emachines)

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Buy a custom prebuilt system. (via website or mom & pop store)

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
They were C0. I'm not too concerned, all I wanted to do was run at 3.2GHz on the stock cooler and I'm able to do that.
:Dbought my Core i7 920 at microcenter today for $199, marked SLBEJ (D0) that was a pleasant surprise!

So, I have about everything figured out just trying to narrow down the motherboard and GPU; motherboard wise, I am down to one of these three: EVGA SLI X58 LE, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, or Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. On the GPU front, I'm leaning toward the GTX275, but would be just as happy with a Radeon 4890. If any of y'all have experience with these parts, I'd love to know what you think of em...

:Dbought my Core i7 920 at microcenter today for $199, marked SLBEJ (D0) that was a pleasant surprise!

So, I have about everything figured out just trying to narrow down the motherboard and GPU; motherboard wise, I am down to one of these three: EVGA SLI X58 LE, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, or Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. On the GPU front, I'm leaning toward the GTX275, but would be just as happy with a Radeon 4890. If any of y'all have experience with these parts, I'd love to know what you think of em...

I wish I had bought that Gigabyte board instead of the one I got, because it has 2 ethernet ports.

I think I read that with the two ethernet ports; you can also connect two connections to the same network and see a nominal performance bump.
I don't think NIC teaming is supported on these consumer level motherboard onboard ethernet.
Even if they do, you'd need a switch/router with the same features and that ain't cheap.

But you can benefit if running a few virtual machines on your system, the hardware will certainly be able to support it.
Or if you run something mission critical and need redundancy...

Diogen.

Final Build Specs (with the bulk of the parts showing up on my door step first part of next week):

CPU: Intel i7-920 D0
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 275
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache
RAM: Corsair 6 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750 Watt 80+ Silver PSU Modular
CD/DVD Drive 1: Samsung SH-S203N L-scribe DVD-R 22X/CD-R 48X SATA
CD/DVD Drive 2: Samsung SH-S223F DVD-R 22X/CD-R 48X SATA
Case: AZZA Solano-1000 Full Tower Case
HSF: Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight
OS: Microsoft Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit (w/ Win 7 Coupon)
Mouse: Logitech G5 2000dpi laser mouse
Keyboard: Logitech G11 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard

I'm hoping the sum will be as good as the total of the parts going in... after I get everything will try to get it build and post some pics on Wednesday.

Well, she's build and stable. Wasn't able to fit the CPU cooler in my case without removing the side fan; so RMA to newegg and use the stock cooler for the time being. VERY rewarding experience. Posted on the first try, run the bettter part of 12 hours today without a hiccup. Thanks again for the help that y'all have been through this process!

Attachments

• 0802091033.jpg
    0802091033.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 160
Well, she's build and stable. Wasn't able to fit the CPU cooler in my case without removing the side fan; so RMA to newegg and use the stock cooler for the time being. VERY rewarding experience. Posted on the first try, run the bettter part of 12 hours today without a hiccup. Thanks again for the help that y'all have been through this process!

Glad it all worked out for you.

Unless you are going to over clock the CPU the stock heat sink will work just fine for you.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Unless you are going to over clock the CPU the stock heat sink will work just fine for you.

I really want to push it to 3.2GHz, that mixed with the ambient temp of the room... I think aftermarket would be better (of course it is still lightyears ahead of my 4 year old rig that now graces my wife's desk)

I really want to push it to 3.2GHz, that mixed with the ambient temp of the room... I think aftermarket would be better (of course it is still lightyears ahead of my 4 year old rig that now graces my wife's desk)

If your case has decent air flow you won't have problems running a 920 @ 3.2GHz on the boxed CPU cooler. I'm 75 minutes into an H.264 encode which pegs all four cores at about 85% CPU usage, and I'm only at 54 degrees C. My case is a Sonata Designer (yeah, the totally sissy white and blue case, but it is quiet) and I've dressed the cables so I get good airflow.

11168386.png

Well, Arctic Silver 5 and the Cooler Master GeminII S cooler seem to do the job.
(course these are more idle temps than load temps)

Dwm%202009-08-09%2013-27-22-56.bmp

and a few more pictures....

Attachments

• DSCN2478.JPG
    DSCN2478.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN2479.JPG
    DSCN2479.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN2486.JPG
    DSCN2486.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 159

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts