Build Vs Buy (the new computer quandry)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

When putting together a new computer, which way do you go?

• Build a system from scratch.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Buy a name-brand prebuilt system. (ie dell, emachines)

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Buy a custom prebuilt system. (via website or mom & pop store)

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Three of the last four PCs I built this year used Gigabyte boards.
And I haven't used any RAM but Kingston for years.

Diogen.

Good for you.. :rant: I could say don't eat drano, and someone would come in here saying they've been doing it for years. Still doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

I did this for a living.. When you sell things to people, you tend to try to keep them from coming back upset.

I'd expect that people understand that generalizations like "Don't buy X, it's crap!" hardly ever work.
Especially in the PC building business...

Diogen.

Possibly.. But when someone comes here asking what he should do, what he should buy, how he should plan, etc.. I would expect he's looking for the answer I provided. I could go into the RMA issues I've had with Kingston, the poor compatibility with motherboard manufacturers, the fact that several pieces we ordered in the past were not soldered properly, etc. The list is endless. Poor quality is the bottom line. And Gigabyte boards, average 4 in 10 failure rate for the few short months we attempted to use them. I wouldn't buy a ball point pen from a company with that kind of track record.
Not heeding generalizations from someone who does for a living, the very thing you are asking about, is, well there are a couple words for that.
I cold care less what he ends up with. I'm just trying to not only save him a few bucks, but a few headaches as well. Your free to waste your money where you like.

Three of the last four PCs I built this year used Gigabyte boards.
And I haven't used any RAM but Kingston for years.

Diogen.

I have used Gigabyte boards for years and never had a problem. I have built at least 20 computers in the last 10 years.

I have used Gigabyte boards for years and never had a problem. I have built at least 20 computers in the last 10 years.

Ok.. :rolleyes:

I've built around 1000-1200 in that same time frame. :up

Like I said.. Your free to give your money to whomever you like. I try to give mine (and my customers) money to people who provide quality parts, and no hassle when there issues, because eventually, you will have an issue.

I like hearing both sides to be honest.

If I was still planning on developing a efi-x/hackintosh box (a plan I've dropped) then I'd be forced into a Gigabyte or DFI motherboard. If I decide to roll the dice and hope Intel keeps at least one LGA1366 chip reasonably priced, I was wavering between a Gigabyte board and an EVGA board. But, since I am waiting to see the early benches on the LGA1156 core i7's and the new AMD Phenom II x5 965. I'll probably go with one of those two chips. Either way, I'll then have to wait to see what motherboards are available. The new intel socket hasn't even streeted yet. If I go AMD, I'm hoping their new chipset for AM3 will be out the same time as the new processor. Still, hearing good and bad on Gigabyte, I'll use caution but won't write them off out right.

Memory, I was planning on OCZ. They seem like a decent price point mixed with fairly decent reviews. Plus, I like the gold heat sinks.

Storage, I'm still foolishly thinking about going Solid State for my OS and Drive intensive games. It's a new technology, but some of the benchmarks I've seen on the read/write times of an OCZ Vertex RAID0 set up; well, it's REALLY tempting.

About the only thing I'm close to a decision on is the Case. I have two contenders, the NZXT Tempest and the AZZA Solano. Personally, I like the look of the Solano, but availability might be a bit rough until the ramp up production. If I go with the AZZA, I'll probably get their PSU as well. If I go with the NZXT, I'm still looking toward a Corsair PSU (unless someone has a better 80plus 750-850Watt PSU under $200)

... because eventually, you will have an issue.
Now we are talking. Couldnt agree more. Probability is the name of the game...
Eventually there are always problems. Just like we all are dead... eventually.

The very first batch of ASUS Pentium IV 945 chipset boards around 5 years ago were such a piece of crap, I had 4 of them fail in one week...
No, I am not saying ASUS is a sh!tty brand, the opposite is true... But at that time Abit was the brand I used most.

There is one reason I use Gigabyte: they use the 889A sound chip that allows live DTS encoding.
Since the rest is as good as a (good) ASUS and price about 10% less, its a nobrainer.

I never built game rigs and never overclock (more than 5%).

Diogen.

I've resigned myself to building my new system. One of the last things left to do is decide on CPU brand. I won't be able to do that until September. I'm either going to get a Phenom II x4 965BE or a Core i7 860 (the new 2.8 GHz LGA1156 CPU). If the 800 series core i7's can come close to the standards set by the 900 series i7's then I am going Intel. If the new AMD chip (coming before then end of the summer) is giving a comparable performance, I will probably go with the new AMD chip since I've heard AMD chips are a little easier to work with for new builders... but then again, that new Intel socket might be easier to seat...

What are you waiting for? You know you want it. The economy needs your help NOW! Go out and spend like there's no tomorrow. What the heck, build two new systems. :D

i have always used asus but went for a gigabyte board this time and it's the best i've had yet.i have 2 sticks of corsair dominator 8gigs ddr2 1200. all running smoothly.

i have always used asus but went for a gigabyte board this time and it's the best i've had yet.i have 2 sticks of corsair dominator 8gigs ddr2 1200. all running smoothly.

My first Gigabyte board had a PII on it and it is still running to this day.

Wow!
That RAM must have been more $$$ than the rest of the PC parts combined...

Diogen.

If it had been DDR3 it would have been, but they don't make 8gig sticks of it yet either.

Last time (a few weeks ago) I paid CAN$250/4GB (one stick).
It was for an HTPC (G45 based) with the rest of the hardware under $500.

Diogen.

Newegg must be getting ready for the next AMD Chip, they dropped the: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition down $45 to $210. It's actually cheaper for the 955 then for the 945! Gonna hold off just a little bit longer, but think I might go for something like this:

AMD Phenom IIX4 955 BE
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX (combo for $269.99 + $15 Mail In Rebate)

Azza Solano 1000 tower case
Windows Vista 64 HE Prem w/ Win 7 Coupon (combo)

Azza Titan 850 Watt 80 Plus PSU (they are a new company and I'm a little leary, but the price is incredible - $139.99 less 30 Mail in rebate)

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB to run in RAID 0

plan on overclocking the CPU so...
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB DDR3 1600
ZALMAN CNPS 9700
Arctic Silver 5

and I've heard that the non-realtek Asus sound chip is kinda scary so still looking at:
HT | Omega Striker PCI Sound Card.

If I'd do this, then I'd use the weak on-board gpu with sideport memory until the 5850/5870 gets released in the next month or two. Meanwhile, between now and Windows 7, keep my eye out for a deal on the Vertex SSD's. That way I can be sure everything works, before buying the more expensive parts...

Aside from Neweggs "clearance" prices.. (which is usually on outdated, or soon to be, parts.) Everything on your list was $20-$80 cheaper at mwave. I don't shop by discount only, just sayin, maybe some price checking could net you a bit of savings. :D

I'll keep it in mind, but matching apples to apples, I didn't see the savings... If I choose 500GB HD's instead of 640GB HD's then they would be about $5 cheaper, but that was about it... Been keeping half an eye on ZZF and micro center while formulating my plan.. will add mwave to the list as well if they are reputable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts