Build Vs Buy (the new computer quandry)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

When putting together a new computer, which way do you go?

• Build a system from scratch.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Buy a name-brand prebuilt system. (ie dell, emachines)

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Buy a custom prebuilt system. (via website or mom & pop store)

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
I am ready for my new system. I know the basics of what I'm planning on. Core I7, either a 4890 radeon or a GTX275 GPU, 6 GB RAM, 650watt (or more) PSU, leaning toward a DFI or Gigabyte motherboard, probably a NZXT tempest case, etc... but I can't decide if I should go newegg and hope i get a dozen computer component that work without needing to be RMA'd and are compatible with each other (and that I do things like put the right amount of thermal compound on the heatsink) OR go with a company that custom builds PCs and get the box ready made. Have any of you had any experience with a company like ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com? I saw a couple of their pre-built systems on newegg and they each have decent options for a custom build. However, I am sure I have the capacity to do it myself and have a better control over the components with a home build (plus it would satisfy my inner-geek to do it myself). I was on the cusp of building at the end of the year last year when some unexpected issues came up; but things are back on track and it is time to strike.

Also, Store bought and name brand computer (ie dell, gateway, emachine, et al) are not an option.

So my satguys brethren: which way do you go? if you go prebuilt, do you have a company that you'd recommend? if you build yourself, is it best to get all the parts from one company and get everything on the same invoice (hopefully making it easier to obtain an RMA should the need arise) or mix and match for the best deals and selection?

Just wondering why Dell is not an option? I can see gateway and emachine not being one but Dell does make some good PC's. You can even get some pretty good deals if you are looking in the right place.

I used to always build, but in recent years the price point on new machines has come down so much it just does not seem necessary anymore; and I don't build gaming machines, so given that, its just easier to go buy a dell. :)

I used to always build, but in recent years the price point on new machines has come down so much it just does not seem necessary anymore; and I don't build gaming machines, so given that, its just easier to go buy a dell. :)
Ditto, except for the Dell. During the 90s I had a dozen computer admins/techs working for me and we purchased parts in bulk and built 10-20 PCs each month. We would typically use them at home for 3-months and sell them to any co-worker who wanted one. In a nutshell, the staff always had hot new gaming machines and co-workers would get a new machine at half the cost of a new Dell or Gateway (with usually a faster processor, larger hard-drive, more RAM, and a better graphics card). Additionally, if anyone had a problem or wanted to upgrade any home computer, they simply dropped 'em off and we would service them free of charge after hours. Anyway, I stopped building PCs back in 2001 because there price saving was minimal...even when buying parts in bulk.

I have no issues with Dell or the other brands, but I'd rather something a little more custom this time. Not counting the Atari 800XL or the Commodore 64, I've had Tandy, Packard Bell, and e-Machine PC's as well as an Apple Performa and iMac. I've also helped my parents trouble shoot HP's and Gateways. My wife has a compaq laptop. Labels are fun, but I want something more unique.

I'm still leaning more toward building because then I will KNOW the components that are in my system. I want it to not only be my everyday computer, but also my "hobby box" so to speak. I'm ready for something roomy and upgradable.

I have had the best luck with buying from Microcenter locally for parts. They normally have deals that beat most of the online prices you can find.

Not sure how far St. Davids, PA is from you but I noticed they have one there.

Speaking of prebuilts, I've had several Dells over the years, laptops and desktops and never had a problem. For i7s, if you're price conscious, I'll look at the Dell Outlet. Right now, they have a pretty good selection of i7s (xps 730x) from the 920 to 965. Example:

System Specification

I have bought two desktops from their outlet and was very happy with my purchases. The last one I bought was the xps 630i a year ago.

Good luck!

Ditto, except for the Dell. During the 90s I had a dozen computer admins/techs working for me and we purchased parts in bulk and built 10-20 PCs each month. We would typically use them at home for 3-months and sell them to any co-worker who wanted one. In a nutshell, the staff always had hot new gaming machines and co-workers would get a new machine at half the cost of a new Dell or Gateway (with usually a faster processor, larger hard-drive, more RAM, and a better graphics card). Additionally, if anyone had a problem or wanted to upgrade any home computer, they simply dropped 'em off and we would service them free of charge after hours. Anyway, I stopped building PCs back in 2001 because there price saving was minimal...even when buying parts in bulk.

My Dell quad-core X64 machine with 6GB of ram is a screamer, and hasn't hiccuped once in the 8 months I have had it. And for $700 was a good price. Oh I could have gotten something else,but there was a convenience factor. :)

I have no issues with Dell or the other brands, but I'd rather something a little more custom this time. Not counting the Atari 800XL or the Commodore 64, I've had Tandy, Packard Bell, and e-Machine PC's as well as an Apple Performa and iMac. I've also helped my parents trouble shoot HP's and Gateways. My wife has a compaq laptop. Labels are fun, but I want something more unique.

I'm still leaning more toward building because then I will KNOW the components that are in my system. I want it to not only be my everyday computer, but also my "hobby box" so to speak. I'm ready for something roomy and upgradable.

That's fine, just be prepared to spend a little more. :)

I've always bought computers until this last one, the one I am posting with now.

The nice thing about building your own, if you purchase the proper motherboard, then just about everything is upgradable.

I have an Antec Sonata II case with a 500w power supply
Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz (overclocked higher than 2.2)
8.0 GB Ram
500 GB HD (375 GB still free) - Don't need anything bigger
ATI Radion X700 (256MB Ram) video card

Had this computer for 2 years and it is the best one I have ever owned. During this time I have not needed to update any hardware (I can if I want).

I've always bought computers until this last one, the one I am posting with now.

The nice thing about building your own, if you purchase the proper motherboard, then just about everything is upgradable.

I have an Antec Sonata II case with a 500w power supply
Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz (overclocked higher than 2.2)
8.0 GB Ram
500 GB HD (375 GB still free) - Don't need anything bigger
ATI Radion X700 (256MB Ram) video card

Had this computer for 2 years and it is the best one I have ever owned. During this time I have not needed to update any hardware (I can if I want).

The problem with building is that you can most likely expect two years worth of upgradability before you have to start buying new parts all over again. This is only if you start with the new technologies at the time.

This is what has now happened with the Intel i7 and the AMD AM3 processors. They are now on a new socket and most of the system just built within the past year are now officially non upgradable with the processor. Figure the processors only last two years before they make a major change that require many upgrades to advance to the newer technologies.

Looking through the Dell website, I don't think I could go with any of their new systems... for what the new system costs, I could build for less money (but probably more frustration). Some of the refurbs look like really good deals; but I have the devils luck with refurbs/recerts and floor models. I mean this looks like a hell of a deal... However, I went through two refurbs before buying a new consumer grade system last time I bought a computer. I'm still really gunshy about going the recert route sight unseen.

I think I am just gonna have to roll the dice and try to build.

(EDIT: of course then there is something like this through newegg, new for about $140 more than the dell refurb)

Last edited:
The problem with building is that you can most likely expect two years worth of upgradability before you have to start buying new parts all over again. This is only if you start with the new technologies at the time.

This is what has now happened with the Intel i7 and the AMD AM3 processors. They are now on a new socket and most of the system just built within the past year are now officially non upgradable with the processor. Figure the processors only last two years before they make a major change that require many upgrades to advance to the newer technologies.
The same is true for a purchased computer as well. The difference is, I was able to get a better computer than anything on the market at the time and pay much less (~$500). I can always change the processor and/or motherboard as well (which is a lot cheaper than buying a new computer).

The same is true for a purchased computer as well. The difference is, I was able to get a better computer than anything on the market at the time and pay much less (~$500). I can always change the processor and/or motherboard as well (which is a lot cheaper than buying a new computer).
That is why I think I will build. BTW, I should spring a little extra for the arctic silver and after market fan/heat sink, right?

I think I will always spend what it takes to build my own. I hate nothing more than to fire up a new Dell and have to answer 6 questions before I even get to the desktop. Then, there are a myriad of pieces of software running from the tray notifying me of this and that, asking me questions, notifying me of things I don't care about and never will. 5 to 10 icons on the desktop for Dell this or that, or worse, software from vendors that paid Dell to have it put there.

I then spend an hour uninstalling software, turning off stuff running at startup, etc., etc.

I get upset just typing about it all.

Last edited:
I have had the best luck with buying from Microcenter locally for parts. They normally have deals that beat most of the online prices you can find.

Not sure how far St. Davids, PA is from you but I noticed they have one there.

St. David's (Radnor) is about 90 min from my house, but looking at their sales flyer I think I need to thank you for the suggestion. An actual store, no shipping, and they have the core i7 920 on sale for $199 this month! From the flyer prices I think I can handle the trade out of sales tax over shipping costs! :up

I bought a couple machines in the late eighties but since then I've always built my own. There are downsides/upsides to both ways. If you are handy, try building one, once you do one its pretty much the same for all of them and its nice to know your machine inside out. On the other hand I've never seen that you could build a machine cheaper than buying a pre-built comparable one, maybe it you bought parts in bulk and built many machines but I don't think that is what you want to do? Its a choice only you can make.
From re-reading your post, I bet this is what will win out......
"plus it would satisfy my inner-geek to do it myself"

I choose to build because as long as you have the OS it is way cheaper to build rather than buy. A guy in my office didn't believe me and I proved it to him with the system I built. I saved over $300 on the same exact specked out computer on Dell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts