Bulk RG6

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
Where do you guys normally get your RG6 cable? there's one place here in town that has it, I think they want like 20 cents per foot. I found online that I can get 1000 feet for $80!
so 8 cents per foot..

I'd be tempted to get the bulk but think that SWMBO might have an issue with a 1000' spool of coax showing up at the house.. altho if it's on a wooden spool, they make really nice tables

Home Depot has reels of 500'. $47 for regular RG6 and $64 for quad. It's "Carol" cable. Buying it by the foot from them is really expensive. Watch for sales. I just got a 500' reel of quad for the price of regular.

I wish they had different colored RG6. It would make identification a lot easier.
I was helping my neighbor the other day and he had a real rat's nest, so I took a flashlight and broke the bulb and soldered in a short piece of RG6 so I could put 3 volts into a cable. Then I made another short cable that I could hook my VOM to so I could see which cable was which. If the coax had different colored jackets it would have really helped

When I bought my house, I bought 3 rolls of Belden 7915A RG-6 and rewired the whole house. It is tri-shield so it works great for both cable and satellite signals. It is a little smaller and lighter than quad shield with better specs.

I use a lot of RG6 and like cadsulfide said 1000 feet goes fast.

I have boought both regular RG6 and RG6 quad off of ebay. Both work fine but the quad is well worth the extra twenty bucks or so when you buy a 1000 foot role. Just be sure to buy some quad connectors at the same time, it s thicker.

When I run RG6, I run two lines for every one hook up. It comes in handy. When I added a KU to my BUD I already had the line.

When you buy RG6 by te thousand foot roll, it really dosn't matter how many lines you run.

I have a lot of different RG-6 cable in my installations some of which has been used before.

Of the new RG-6 I have actually bought I have gotten solid copper center wire and it wasn't quad shielded. The solid copper works very well with low ma outputs especially like PCI tuner cards.

IMHO quad shielded is not necessary, but to each his own preferences. :)

Just make sure the wire has been swept tested to at least 2 ghz.

I picked up the stuff at home despot.. swept to 3ghz.
either gonna run the Ku line tomorrow first or go hunting first.. not sure which.. conflicting hobbies ;-)

I picked up the stuff at home despot.. swept to 3ghz.
either gonna run the Ku line tomorrow first or go hunting first.. not sure which.. conflicting hobbies ;-)

Hoss you go HUNTING first....THEN you run the Ku line...that shouldn't have even been a question....:D

Actually is should be Go hunting, eat T'giving dinner, then run the Ku line. That is, unless your fambly eats late...:D

Buying a 1K RG6 cable is the way to go. Cheaper if you are planning to use it all.

I would recommend Solid Copper Core as well. Better conductivity and longer distance installations than Copper Clad Steel cores.

Dual Shielding is sufficient for most applications.

Look also for UL certification and marking on the jacket.

Some cable has ft marks on the jacket so you can tell the length of cable used.

If your house is already wired, but you need help identifying the cables, use this:

I bought a 1000' spool from Sadoun 2 years ago. It was under $70 shipped :) I still have some :) I was like a kid in a candy store when I got home that day and saw that 1000' reel on my steps. FEd Ex guy must wonder at times :)

I bought a 1000 foot roll in 2003 and used 650' running a dozen lines from the dishes to the basement then 4 lines from there to the living room and 4 more to my bedroom. I didn't need quite that many lines but I didn't want to have to pull more later. I finished that roll off in 07 after a move to an apartment (and much smaller motorized system) and by installing a few of my friends sub dishes for them after moves. I needed some more in spring 08 and got a 500' roll for $30. Hopefully that will last me a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts