Buying a 36” ballscrew actuator

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
Where can i buy a quality ballscrew actuator for my dish without spending too much. I doubt anyone sells them for cheap but figured I should still ask.

You can get actuators from Rick’s as well as Tek2000, I have purchased from both no trouble.

I have contacted venture and am waiting for their quote. Tek2000 is not an option because I am not looking for Chinese junk. I had already talked to rick and he didn't have the 36" ballscrew actuator in stock.

Reactions: norman881
I have contacted venture and am waiting for their quote. Tek2000 is not an option because I am not looking for Chinese junk. I had already talked to rick and he didn't have the 36" ballscrew actuator in stock.
I bought one from Venture almost 5 years ago. I have never had any issues with it.

I know Thomson Saginaw was once hailed as king. I never had a ball screw but have used the Von Weise actuators and they are quite. What size dish do you have? I never seen much of an advantage going past 24" I go from 30-139 with a 24" Venture Maxi I've had running for many years now.

I know Thomson Saginaw was once hailed as king. I never had a ball screw but have used the Von Weise actuators and they are quite. What size dish do you have? I never seen much of an advantage going past 24" I go from 30-139 with a 24" Venture Maxi I've had running for many years now.
24" would have has sufficed for my 10 footer but an actuator is a long term investment and 36" provides better wind resistance. Right now i have a 24" Von Weise actuator which covers 55-133. When its windy outside its easy on the actuator with the arm being not fully extended.

I got the Venture 36” ballscrew actuator and boy oh boy its huge and heavy. I will install it tomorrow but theres a slight problem. I could mount my 24” actuator on the left to get 55 & 58 but it wont be possible with the new venture 36” because it needs more clearance for the accordion boot. The right way to do it would be install the actuator on the right side with a plate made to move the clamp of the actuator away from the centre otherwise the dish could flop east which.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The only time I needed a 36" actuator, was back when I had a 12' fiberglass dish that was heavy. You can add an outrigger angle iron metal brace(s) to your mount, and that would make a big difference. However, you'd have to play with the geometry/length/slant back or forward of it to make sure it works as needed, without dish flop.

Bolted or welded is good, except obviously, do NOT weld it before it's all perfectly balanced out to your liking. Oh, and remove any electronics temporarily (lnbf, etc) IF you use an arc welder.

The only time I needed a 36" actuator, was back when I had a 12' fiberglass dish that was heavy. You can add an outrigger angle iron metal brace(s) to your mount, and that would make a big difference. However, you'd have to play with the geometry/length/slant back or forward of it to make sure it works as needed, without dish flop.

Bolted or welded is good, except obviously, do NOT weld it before it's all perfectly balanced out to your liking. Oh, and remove any electronics temporarily (lnbf, etc) IF you use an arc welder.
If I understand correctly the outrigger extension on the mount where the heim joint of the actuator connects with mount will only help with increasing accuracy of the actuator because essentially the actuator will have to travel longer for the angle to change. What I need is a plate to move the centre clamp of the actuator away from the mount to prevent the dish flopping or even bending the actuator arm.

Reactions: Titanium
If I understand correctly the outrigger extension on the mount where the heim joint of the actuator connects with mount will only help with increasing accuracy of the actuator because essentially the actuator will have to travel longer for the angle to change. What I need is a plate to move the centre clamp of the actuator away from the mount to prevent the dish flopping or even bending the actuator arm.

You can do BOTH.