Buying a PS3

I can see that happening, for sure. That's why at least one of the two games I get, need to be good online as well as a good single player, etc. Side note: Has anyone played "Pure", by Disney Interactive? I killed some ATV Off-road Fury a long-while back and this game looks like Off-road Fury on steroids, x 10! (I'm kinda partial to anything ATV or Motorcross; game or real life) I also noticed it won some awards at E3.

There's a demo for it, and it's fun. MX vs ATV or something is a lot of fun too.

I can see that happening, for sure. That's why at least one of the two games I get, need to be good online as well as a good single player, etc. Side note: Has anyone played "Pure", by Disney Interactive? I killed some ATV Off-road Fury a long-while back and this game looks like Off-road Fury on steroids, x 10! (I'm kinda partial to anything ATV or Motorcross; game or real life) I also noticed it won some awards at E3.

I've played the demo you can download. Honestly, I prefer motor storm a little better.

Unchartered was great (Crushing mode IS tough though) but I also liked Ghost Recon 2 and still go back to it. Right now though I'm really liking Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. I thought I'd like the new Tomb Raider Underworld but it seems a little too slow compared to the others so I stopped for a while.

Here's a good assessment of "Uncharted." NSFW

[ame="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/27-Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune"]The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Uncharted: Drake's Fortune@@AMEPARAM@@videos/config/27-f69b28f7323bbdfac2743d04fb7c6cca.js@@AMEPARAM@@27@@AMEPARAM@@f69b28f7323bbdfac2743d04fb7c6cca[/ame]

Motorstorm is nice!

Motorstorm is really just an elaborate tech demo though.... as far as features go aside from just racing it's an embarrassment of a 'next gen' racing game

I hope the second one improved upon more than just the graphics, but the first one was so disappointing I never gave it a chance :(

I got Resistance 2 from Gamefly today... after an hour and a half im probably going to hit 'Keep It' or pick it up next time I see it on sale.

The point is very accurate about weapons not really being satisfying (maybe if Sony wasn't stupid about rumble my PS3 would have come rumble equipped and I'd have gotten a better impression), but it's a pretty game and it's worth buying for the online mode from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:
For some reason, I get owned in the demo for Resistance 1.

Same reason I never got into the Resistance series and was deterred from ever buying an FPS game in general as someone who has only been gaming since I got my PS3 in Nov. 07. Are Resistance or other popular FPS games like Call of Duty and MGS4 playable for a novice?

Same reason I never got into the Resistance series and was deterred from ever buying an FPS game in general as someone who has only been gaming since I got my PS3 in Nov. 07. Are Resistance or other popular FPS games like Call of Duty and MGS4 playable for a novice?

They need to have "beginner" servers or something. That is the same reason I played like less than 5 minutes of SOCOM and gave up. I was still trying to spawn in and figure out what buttons did what, and boom I was dead. I will admit, I am ranked pretty high in BF:BC and even then, I wish that it had dedicated newbie servers. Sure, I love killing them, but get one on your squad, and it becomes no fun for them, or any fun for the more advanced players as the new does not understand the flow of the game and what exactly it is they are supposed to do to help the squad. At least Battlefield has "unranked" games where you can practice and try new weapons and techniques.

Heh, the Resistance demo is single player, and I get destroyed in it and I've been playing FPS games for a decade now.

Warhawk was another game that was very difficult to learn, a year and a half after release they patched in tutorials.... I did them and never played it again (bringing my total time played in that game to probably 2 hours since buying my PS3).

I have issues with the controls on MGS4 too.

The Resistance demo is an abberation, if you like FPS games and the themes in them you'll like the Call of Duty, Fallout, Bioshock, etc... they're generally not too hard.

The Resistance demo is an abberation, if you like FPS games and the themes in them you'll like the Call of Duty, Fallout, Bioshock, etc... they're generally not too hard.

I definitely have Bioshock high on my wish list as I found the demo challenging but doable... the different perspective just takes some getting used to after playing mostly third-person platformers and action games.

FPS games are pretty fun, but I find many of them similiar. Personally, I like the RPG genre. Honestly, the main reason I bought the PS3 to begin with was the upcoming release of the next Final Fantasy. These days though, I do not have as much time to play it, I will still pick it up though

I definitely have Bioshock high on my wish list as I found the demo challenging but doable... the different perspective just takes some getting used to after playing mostly third-person platformers and action games.
Bioshock is not very challenging. While it is a VERY engrossing and beautifully presented game, don't go into it expecting a challenge akin to Doom 2: Hell on Earth or Duke Nukem: Plutonium. It's one of my favorite FPS's ever, even to the point that I bought the game for 360, sold it after beating it about 4 times, then beat it again on the PS3 version on Hard just for the fun of it.

This is a pretty good (and rather amusing) review of Bioshock:

[ame="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4-BioShock"]The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : BioShock@@AMEPARAM@@videos/config/4-866725fcef5978351b193730167d1e7d.js@@AMEPARAM@@4@@AMEPARAM@@866725fcef5978351b193730167d1e7d[/ame]

I now own a ps3! Thanks, everyone!

As the title reads, I now own a ps3 as of Friday the 6th. I found Pure on sale and I think it kicks ass! Now, just trying to figure out what other game to get. My Boss, I mean wife, gave me a 2 game limit...(You all would've loved to see her face when she saw the game prices. :D) I'm still trying to figure out which it will be. I got so many recommendations on here, I'm still investigating some of the games you all mentioned. I have downloaded a few Demos to keep me busy in the meantime.

Finally, I would like to say thanks to all the folks who responded to this thread. :up:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts