Buying and Replacing Joey to Save Monthly Fee

the fee is an outlet fee, not a lease fee, so it's the same fee whether leased from Dish or owned outright.

I thought Dish Anywhere was able to stay "internal" if your main receiver and the device that DA is on are on the same network ?
true, but I have neighbors that don't have any internet (hard to imagine) so DA wouldn't even be an option, they'd need to have a Joey.

I thought Dish Anywhere was able to stay "internal" if your main receiver and the device that DA is on are on the same network ?
I believe that you would need an internet connection to authenticate the device, but the actual streaming would be on your intranet.

The internet doesn’t matter referring to DA as a replacement for multiple Joeys. What does matter is that the Host receiver only has one sling device. One sling device equals one path to DA....

Reactions: HipKat
No, every receiver must be activated by Dish.
You can buy a Joey off the Internet and activate it yourself by calling Dish and giving them the receiver number. Yes you still get the $7 monthly fee but what you do not need is to have Dish tech come out to “install” a leased Joey. That is a $100 fee which is twice as much as the cost of a Joey on Amazon or Dish Depot.

The only "savings" you may enjoy by buying a receiver is the price someone else "may" pay you for it in the future.

As has been said, you can avoid one receiver fee by buying an Amazon Fire stick.

I did just that and returned one Joey to Dish for a savings of $7 per month.

Note that one H2 or H3 can only support one Amazon Fire Stick at a time.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've posted this a million times, but some states have a leased receiver tax (mine does). So if you care about saving $2 per month, then that is one advantage of owning. Not wanting to debate the merits of owning vs. leasing here; just stating a fact. :D

Reactions: pattykay
I'd fight the"lease" tax. You pay the same even if owned. It's a programming access fee, not a lease fee.

Reactions: MikeD-C05