BVN leaving Galaxy 19 @ 97W

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
BVN, which is a Dutch-language worldwide channel, run jointly by the public broadcasters of the Netherlands and the Flemish regional broadcaster of Belgium, just announced that the Belgian broadcaster has decided to no renew its colaboration. BVN will continue as a channel owned by the Dutch broadcaster NPO only after July 1

Belgian programs on BVN are usually identifiable by the "één" logo on the screen

Unfortunately, they also announced that they will also reduce their satellite presence from currently 6 or 7 satellites down to 2, after July 1.

BVN will continue service on Astra @ 19.2E and on Eutelsat 113WA Ku, which is better than nothing but can be a bit challenging to receive in parts of North America

VRT Radio 1 will also leave the BVN transponders as of July 1

I would have thought it would be cheaper to be on 97W in a mux (10 other TV channels), than alone on 113W. Plus better coverage on 97W (especially in Canada, where I recall years ago there were complaints about the lack of coverage). Guess 97W is more of a "prime" Ku satellite to be on, and, therefore, higher costs?

Reactions: c-spand and Jim S.
I believe their main goal in the Western Hemisphere is to cover the constituent parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands located in the Caribbean, the Dutch Caribbean, along with the country of Suriname. For that purpose, 113 °W works better than 97 °W for the time being. Eutelsat says 113 °W will be retired without replacement in 2023, though.

I believe their main goal in the Western Hemisphere is to cover the constituent parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands located in the Caribbean, the Dutch Caribbean, along with the country of Suriname. For that purpose, 113 °W works better than 97 °W for the time being. Eutelsat says 113 °W will be retired without replacement in 2023, though.
Thanks for the information. That certainly does make sense. Wonder what they'll do after 2023!

Reactions: c-spand and N5XZS
Eutelsat says 113 °W will be retired without replacement in 2023, though.
I wonder if that's why Reuters put up a signal on 127 or 129 or wherever it is. I hope not, I can't see those birds at all.

Reactions: c-spand
It's now 2023. I see no mention of retiring 113W on Eutelsat's website, but I also see no mention of broadcasting on 113w on BVN's website (even though the channel is still there.)

Has anyone heard anything lately?

Reactions: c-spand
It's now 2023. I see no mention of retiring 113W on Eutelsat's website, but I also see no mention of broadcasting on 113w on BVN's website (even though the channel is still there.)

Has anyone heard anything lately?
It's still listed on the BVN website :
"BVN is in Noord-, Midden- en Zuid-Amerika free-to-air te ontvangen via de Eutelsat 113 West A (ex Satmex 6) satelliet."

I just beat you barely at 54 % or 7.4 dB for the BVN's signal strength here in New Mexico! :biggrin

Have a 1.1 meter dish.

It's pretty cloudy here and dreary in metro Albuquerque!:hatsoff2

Ill call that bet, and show my cards... 9.50 dB!

1684625235472.png

Reactions: FTA4PA and N5XZS