Bye-bye Dish Network

100+ Mbps download rate with a 110+ ms ping?

FIOS

Don't have any experience with it. We were lucky to get RR around here, and TWC screws us royally with the prices.

Average 25Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up, so it is ok. It's the ~$65/mo that sucks. If you can get it, ATT has 6Mb/s dsl for $12/mo.

Jebus! At that speed you probably can download content that doesn't even exist yet! ;)
Yet, BBMP doesn't stream for me. Of the handful of movies/shows I've tried, so far, all download rather than start streaming. Well...the Tom Petty concert started streaming. But, it kept stopping to buffer. So, I just let it download instead.

I did watch one 3D VOD movie which started immediately. But, if I'm not mistaken, VOD movies are stored to a hidden partition on the hdd for quick playback.

All of my other streaming apps, on the Revue, Blu-Ray player, TV, and Roku, all stream immediately and in HD, though. It's just Dish HW that blows for streaming.

OTOH, the Dish Sling Adapter attached to my 722k does a bangup job with the high UL speed. When using DO and DRA from outside, I use "Best/HD" setting, and it shows 5+mbps. So, I got that goin for me...which is nice.

1586948420.png 1586954355.png

Jebus! At that speed you probably can download content that doesn't even exist yet! ;)
100+ Mbps download rate with a 110+ ms ping?
The thing is most don't need that speed as most servers you connect to on the other end are not even that fast

Yet, BBMP doesn't stream for me. Of the handful of movies/shows I've tried, so far, all download rather than start streaming. Well...the Tom Petty concert started streaming. But, it kept stopping to buffer. So, I just let it download instead.

I did watch one 3D VOD movie which started immediately. But, if I'm not mistaken, VOD movies are stored to a hidden partition on the hdd for quick playback.

All of my other streaming apps, on the Revue, Blu-Ray player, TV, and Roku, all stream immediately and in HD, though. It's just Dish HW that blows for streaming.

OTOH, the Dish Sling Adapter attached to my 722k does a bangup job with the high UL speed. When using DO and DRA from outside, I use "Best/HD" setting, and it shows 5+mbps. So, I got that goin for me...which is nice.

It must be nice to Download first pretty quickly rather than Stream.

I live 7 miles from the Central Office (approx. 30,000 feet away) and have ADSL of 6.0 MBps down (atleast 5+ at all times with one computer active). Guess, I have a rich neighbor or something.

only option for me is 1.5MB...just looked
the issue is Qwest wont do any type of upgrades for phone here. So there is no option other than crappy Comcast

only option for me is 1.5MB...just looked
the issue is Qwest wont do any type of upgrades for phone here. So there is no option other than crappy Comcast

I guess Comcast in my area is rare... Both their channel selection and Internet are great since the Xfinity update. I have Dish for TV, but I kept Comcast Internet. It is light years ahead of AT&T in my area in both speed and reliability...

How long does everybody think this little joyride of streaming video on the Internet is going to last? There is not enough bandwidth for a massive conversion from broadcast/satellite/cable/DVD delivery. It's going to end soon with huge cost increases or bandwidth rationing.
I agree.

Thanks (in part) to streaming video, my internet provider has recently changed their policy from 'unlimited' to capped.

If we go over the cap we pay for it. It makes downloading video on demand more expensive than if we had rented the same movie from Redbox.

The internet was not designed to be used as a TV distribution network, at least not until the available bandwidth increases exponentially.

This undoubtedly has their "Speed Burst" or whatever they call it...I'm on the 10/1 plan. However, we get outstanding quality instant, no-buffering, HD streaming from both Netflix and BBMP/Dish, as well as Roku channels such as Crackle, etc.

That's amazing to me. How MANY people really do not have access to high speed.
I live in a metro area of almost 2 million people. The county I live in which abuts the one with the large city has a population of 250,000..Most of us live within a few miles of the county line. Get this....Fully 50% of this county has no cable or DSL service because it is rural.
The Time Warner franchise agreement requires access to roads with at least 18 homes per road mile. Still , the cable co will query residents who reside in these more sparsely populated areas to see if they would buy cable if it were to become available. If the cable co does not get a favorable response, that area is excluded from service.
As far as DSL is concerned, for example I live about three miles from the nearest central office. The fastest DSL available here is under 2 Mbps. There is DSL service in the outlying areas but it's barely HSI.....Barely.

I dunno about other folks but in my area "Crapcast" is pretty good for internet speed:

And TBH their TV service isn't too bad, I was just able to get more programming for less from Dish and the equipment is light years ahead of anything Comcast has in the field.

I dunno about other folks but in my area "Crapcast" is pretty good for internet speed:

And TBH their TV service isn't too bad, I was just able to get more programming for less from Dish and the equipment is light years ahead of anything Comcast has in the field.

They've been great for internet and phone service. I've just stayed away from their TV service because of the horrible equipment and the prices that they charge for the horrible equipment. With all of their insane equipment fees they would cost me more than Dish and Comcast HSI and CDV separately for less HD and other programming.:eek:

We have 2 Roku XD's, 1 living room and 1 bedroom, but I too haven't been able to cut the cord yet. But it's getting real close!

For those wondering, here is the Roku channel database. There are also dozens of private channels if you google them and "turn" them on, including XXX;

http://www.roku-channels.com/home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)