Bye Bye NPS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Well.......we done it. We have severed our ties with NPS after being a faithful customer for over 20 years. The main reason was financial since we moved into the new house, but I told the wife not to renew last year because I am still peed that they could not get ESPN, WGN and TBS in the digital package :rant:. What I am disappointed in is that they didn't contact me. Granted, I never gave them our new address and phone number :eek:, but they usually hit me with a few e mails if we were a few days late with the payment :confused:. They just cut it off after one day.The ESPN, WGN and TBS thing was the reason that I was going to give them for not renewing. I think it's a shame that a company has to lose a long time customer because they can't deliver the services that the customer wants. It's obvious that they don't care. :(

That's my 2 cents worth, now it's on to bigger and better things. :up

Well.......we done it. We have severed our ties with NPS after being a faithful customer for over 20 years. The main reason was financial since we moved into the new house, but I told the wife not to renew last year because I am still peed that they could not get ESPN, WGN and TBS in the digital package :rant:. What I am disappointed in is that they didn't contact me. Granted, I never gave them our new address and phone number :eek:, but they usually hit me with a few e mails if we were a few days late with the payment :confused:. They just cut it off after one day.The ESPN, WGN and TBS thing was the reason that I was going to give them for not renewing. I think it's a shame that a company has to lose a long time customer because they can't deliver the services that the customer wants. It's obvious that they don't care. :(

That's my 2 cents worth, now it's on to bigger and better things. :up

You can sub with SRL if you want. NPS never calls me or e-mails me when my subs run out, they just pull the plug. I do get bills in the mail though. I've been with NPS since they opened the doors. I have gotten very ticked at them from time to time especially as of late. But hung on to them after calling Pizza and Cable to get there prices. I just cut my channels down with NPS if the get too high and the $$$ ain't there. That's how I punish NPS by giving them less $$$.

internet or tv

I hear you.... but when I talk with Pizza and Cable and hear there insane rates I think twice.

really insane ?
2 or 3 dollars a day? thats a cup of coffee.
where you going to get that kinda value for that much ?
as a sports fan in the 60s 70s 80s i went to games alot 20 baseball 20 basketball and maybe a couple football. almost always bought 2 tickets well by the 80s 20 baseball games was $400 20 basketball games near $900 and that's just tickets. back then tv had much less to watch. got to be so much i could not go.
got a BUD lots of games free. then paid NPS like $130 a year got hockey baseball basketball games much more.GREAT
then NPS lost the sports nets. had to go to DTV but even now i spend less than i did over 20 years ago and see everygame i want not just 40-50 and don't leave the house. be that good or bad.

if one has no money i get it but....
internet or tv ?

really insane ?
as a sports fan in the 60s 70s 80s i went to games alot 20 baseball 20 basketball and maybe a couple football. almost always bought 2 tickets well by the 80s 20 baseball games was $400 20 basketball games near $900 and that's just tickets. back then tv had much less to watch. got to be so much i could not go.
got a BUD lots of games free. then paid NPS like $130 a year got hockey baseball basketball games much more.GREAT
then NPS lost the sports nets. had to go to DTV but even now i spend less than i did over 20 years ago and see everygame i want not just 40-50 and don't leave the house. be that good or bad.

if one has no money i get it but....
internet or tv ?

I don't buy into big packages or contracts to watch a few channels. Im not a big sports fan so loosing the sports channels didn't effect me much. I pay $16.00 a month for what I sub to, with no contracts or commitments. No-one else can touch that so when I see an average of $80 to $125 a month with 2 year contracts on pizza and cable to get the same high tear channels I get for $16 they are insane.

I don't buy into big packages or contracts to watch a few channels. Im not a big sports fan so loosing the sports channels didn't effect me much. I pay $16.00 a month for what I sub to, with no contracts or commitments. No-one else can touch that so when I see an average of $80 to $125 a month with 2 year contracts on pizza and cable to get the same high tear channels I get for $16 they are insane.

I'm with you on this one. I find $40 or $50 a month to be insane for T.V. programming. Maybe it's just the way I was raised. We got everything OTA. I really don't have a desire to see much on cable, and the majority of the sports I want I get OTA or on wild feeds. I got into FTA as a hobby without much expectation of what I was going to get so whatever I find up there is gravy.
Now that's not to say that I wouldn't mind watching some of the stuff on cable, I just don't want to watch it $50+ dollars a month worth.

Of course, if I was really into more sports than just college football and basketball, I might reconsider big satellite packages (which would be vetoed by the wife in a heartbeat :D )

Not into sports here but, I like the option of subscribing to only the channels I want with 4DTV. I don't have to buy a package of 50 channels to get a couple I want.

Just out of curiosity, TVPro, can you tell us what you DO subscribe to for that $16 a month? I haven't really looked into 4DTV because I hear all this talk about it dying, but if that's really the way to go, maybe I should look there too.

Finances here have me looking only at FTA, and it's been that way for years. I prefer to watch network OTA, but supliment that with a few baseball games from satellite and the occasional movie from WSTV and THIS.

Photto

Just out of curiosity, TVPro, can you tell us what you DO subscribe to for that $16 a month? I haven't really looked into 4DTV because I hear all this talk about it dying, but if that's really the way to go, maybe I should look there too.

Finances here have me looking only at FTA, and it's been that way for years. I prefer to watch network OTA, but supliment that with a few baseball games from satellite and the occasional movie from WSTV and THIS.

Photto

I have a couple alacarts and two small mini packs with NPS. When I do the math for per month it's like $16.01 What you need to do is look at the smaller packs and add alacarts. SRL offers a Pick 10 W5 package that looks real good to me too. I may get that eventually. The name of the game is look beyond the big packs like absolute digital etc and dig into the smaller packs and alacarts. Look at NPS, SRL and Skyvision. They all have there strengths depending on what you want to watch.

I just authorized some channels with SRL today.. My 4DTV subscription had run out with an NPS reseller back in May, but I didn't bother to renew over the summer months. I made a quick call to SRL and got set up with a Websams account and activated my own programming online. The authorization was instantaneous. My laptop screen had just refreshed with the confirmation screen when I heard music playing in the other room from VH1 Classic.

The reason I changed to SRL instead of going with NPS or an NPS reseller is because NPS wanted me to subscribe to a minimum of 10 channels. They wouldn't allow me to simply subscribe to the MTV Mini-Pak that has VH1 Classic for me and Noggin TV for the kids. NPS wanted me to subscribe to more. SRL allowed me to subscribe to the MTV Mini-Pak alone.

really insane ?

Would you pay $3 each and every day for bad tasting coffee? Perhaps stale or overly compressed coffee? Coffee that was nothing like the coffee you could get for free if you put up an aerial? Coffee that looks horrible with the tiniest motion from swirling the cup around? Coffee with artifacts floating around in it?

My coffee is maybe 50 cents per day and is decent. My TV subscription is around 67 cents per day due to getting locals (for a network I can't get OTA) and a 2nd receiver. Trust me, the quality of the signal is often just barely worth 67 cents per day. :)

So for me $3 per day for extra channels I don't want and low bit-rates on the ones I do watch is a bit over priced.

SRL is Satellite Receivers Ltd also known as Programming center.

About Us SRL link

Once I retired and got hit with medical issues it left little on a social security check so I also limit my subs. However I do also use an NPS reseller since the wife insists on having Fox News. Had to leave NPS itself because their packages are beyond my budget (also $16 a month). Sure do miss being able to pick just the channels I actually want to watch.

SD

good value

don't really drink coffee i'm a pepper.
and i got no help from any sports fans today.
but the channels you speak of here would not be around if not for sports and movie junkies. we pay for those channels and never watch them. those would dry up with out our $$. so as you watch thank us.
not being rich is a problem if i were to go to games like i did back in the day would cost about $7,000.00 now plus parking and drinks. parking alone another $500 for 50 games. yes it is a good value for us sports people. even $400 for the nfl ticket that can be spent at 1 lonely game in this world.

So what receiver equip do I need for this stuff? Would a 6ft BUD be suitable for this stuff? I'm intrigued at the concept at getting a few premium channels for a few bucks a month.

So what receiver equip do I need for this stuff? Would a 6ft BUD be suitable for this stuff? I'm intrigued at the concept at getting a few premium channels for a few bucks a month.
Look for a DSR-410 (W5-only) or a DSR-920/922
Read the thread in the 4DTV section "W5 fixed system"
https://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/169000-w5-fixed-system.html

The 922 I found went to my grandparents.
Because of LOS issues, it mostly sits on W5 subbed to Starz/Encore a month at a time. :cool:

If the G3 stuff wasn't in such high demand, I wouldn't understand why people put up with NPS. :confused:

Thankfully, almost everything I want is on W5. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts