C Band Dish Installation Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your calculations look correct. I would round off to 42 for now. Once you are tracking the arc and if it seems off on the ends you can always fine tune the declination later.
Also, for the feedhorn probe, 12 or 6 o'clock is vertical and 9 or 3 o'clock is horizontal...correct ?
If everything is set up right, yes.

Most of us can't install or adjust the feedhorn when the dish is at the apex of the arc. We usually swing the dish to the east or west end of the arc to install and adjust the feed. To properly reference the polar axis (12 o'clock / 6 o'clock position with the dish centered on the polar mount), mark 6 or 12 o'clock position on the dish rim. Then no matter where the dish is aimed in the arc, you will have correct reference to vertical polarity angle (Polar Axis).

When the dish is at the top of the arc, I mark the 6 o'clock position on the edge of the reflector rim with a spot of fingernail polish. :)

Reactions: Babadem and JFOK
Hi All.

Here's where I stand right now.
I have the dish pointing true south and the latitude setting at 42 degrees. When I try to set the declination angle to 47.85 degrees, the best I can do before I run out of threaded screw, is 30 degrees. Any suggestions ?
Also I'm trying to match the wiring I have to the back of the ASC-1 positioner. In other words, what wires go where. I included a pictures of the wiring I have.
Thanks all for your patience and help.

John

Attachments

• latitude.jpg
    latitude.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 164
  • declination.jpg
    declination.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 187
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Think you are moving the declination screw in the wrong direction, dhsi should be moving inward at the bottom to produce declination. Also are you sure the number 42deg is latitude or angle from 90deg? If so then it would be 90-42=48, thgen 48 - 5.8dec = 42.2deg combined angle; where the satellite should be from your location.
Someone has nice diagrams to explain the angles, maybe google...
Good luck!
-C.

Hi Cham,

I double checked several times, watching the inclinometer closely as I turned both screws to make the adjustments. The dish definitely moved down as I turned the screws. Maybe I have to reevaluate and make sure I'm at the highest part of the arc when making these adjustments. 42 degrees is my latitude and the declination offset would be 5.85 giving me a total of 47.85 degrees.
Thanks for the input.

John

Fat Air,

Thanks a lot for that helpful info....looking at it now.
I still need to know the proper wiring set up for the ASC-1. Don't want to short anything out.
The diagram in the manual isn't specific enough for the wiring I have.

John

Upload a pic of the end of your wire.

I hope it is just two.
Is the Black and Red wires a larger gauge wire than the Blue and Brown?
If so the Black and Red go to the larger wires on the actuator and the other end on the ASC1 will go to M1 and M2.
The Blue and Brown will go to the sensor wires(usually smaller gauge) on the actuator and on the ASC1 end will go to S1 and S2.
I hope those sensor wires are shielded separate from the motor wires; if not you can induce unwanted motor noise on your sensor wires.

Reactions: JFOK
FaT Air,

Not sure what you mean with your question. Is the braid the silver wire ?

KE4EST,

The black and red are the heaviest gauge and so I will attach them to M! and M2.
The blue and brown seem thinner and so I will put those on S1 and S2.
In the past I've never had motor noise evident with the DSR920. Would this be more pronounced with the ASC-1 ?

Thanks to both of you.

John

In the past I've never had motor noise evident with the DSR920. Would this be more pronounced with the ASC-1 ?
No not really, it just depends on the state of the motor brushes and/or if the aging motor is arcing more.
You will probably be just fine.
With any controller, not just the ASC1, it is good to have the sensor wires shielded. That is the reason I mentioned it.

Are you still playing with the adjustments? I have a cheat sheet I always take out with me that has several satellite positions (LAT and LON) with aiming transponders. I also have this diagram handy so I keep elevation and latitude straight, because there both so close to 45 degrees that I have transposed them before and chased it until I realized I was measuring the wrong one.

polarmountangle2-jpg.115448

For your measurement of declination, I would not measure at the location you've shown. Measure off the back of the dish. I would also set the polar mount with a "Modified Polar Mount", which is dropping the polar axis a small amount (lower lat) and likewise compensating with a smaller declination. It seems to track the arc better as you flop from side to side. You can find modified polar mount angles via a google search.

Reactions: JFOK and KE4EST
gpflepsen,

Thanks for the diagram. I will keep it handy.
I did check my latitude and elevation numbers as you suggested to make sure I'm using them correctly.

John

Hi All,

I straightened out the issue regarding the latitude, declination and properly wiring the ASC-1, thanks to all the help from you fine folks. I've been outside since 9:30 AM and I can't find a single satellite. I tried at first to find the satellite at my southern most location Intelsat 21 at 58w...nothing.
Then I figured I'd move the dish to a very strong satellite for me at least, F1 at 107w...nothing.
Now I just tried to find Galaxy 19, another strong satellite for me, at 97w....nothing.
The feedhorn is spot on the center of the dish at its proper focal length. All coax cabling is working with a 45% reading from both LNBs on my microHD receiver. The angles are correct based on what I found for my area.....I stumped.
I've included a picture of my dish, which is as anxious as me to find something.
I'm ready to give up for the day...this was so much easier 16 years ago. Guess I'm not as smart now as I was then either...lol.

John

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: k.r.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)