C band Lnb & Scalar ring question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

James leandre

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
26.4 N, 81.4 W
How is everyone doing today?
I'm new to C band discussion, but I've installed a motorized ku dish.
my question is, does someone necessarily need a scalar ring on a
C band Lnb, to get good quality and when adjusting Lnb skew, does the Lnb have to be as far back from the holder as possible or pushed in toward the dish. I'm thing about setting up a mini-bud.

I heard once what the purpose of the scalar plate was. I don't remember now, but it has a purpose that is relevant to c-band.

I have never tried it without the scalar and I am on my second BUD. That said, it should not be a problem, since a lot of lnb...s come with a scalar.

As far as in or out (focal length) and twisting it in the scalar (skew) , those are adjustments you make to maximize your signal . You keep fiddling with it until you get it . Either that or you get a satellite meter.

When you use a Ku dish with a C-band lnbf you are grafting an apple onto an orange tree. Expect that it will not be an optimized solution. With a Ku dish, you need a conical scalar ring for best results, although the flat scalar, located correctly, can improve the quality of the signal.
My advice is to optimize the signal on your lnbf before adding the scalar ring. Then add the scalar and move it to the best point slowly and methodically.

the scalar ring on a c band dish blinds the feedhorn from sidelobe interference and noise. Its always best to use a scalar ring on a prime focus antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)