C-band setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tbh9365

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
I am a newbie with a few questions about equipment and setup. I have
looked but cannot find any reference to my questions? I have an old Primestar
dish, 39" oval shaped, a universal lnb, and a coolsat 5000 receiver, set on G13.
I also have and old c- band dish with motor. Can I hook it to the coosat recever
with an upgraded lnb and receive the c-band mpeg2/dvb stations. I also have
a disect switch. I was thinking that I could hook both dishes to this and then
select between them. If this question has been answered somewhere else,
could you direct me to where I could find it. Thanks in advance;

Terry Harriosn

Yeah, that will work. You can also use a 22khz switch if you got one handy. I've got mine setup that way right now.

However, you'll need to use your c band receiver to move the dish because the coolsat can't do it (or get a vbox). You'll also need to use that old receiver to change polarity on the feedhorn. This is as simple as changing from an odd number channel to an even number channel.

If you plan on still using the old receiver to watch analog transmissions, you'll need some more equipment, but otherwise what you have stated will work.

Yes, you can connect the C-Band LNB to the DiSEqC and switch between them. You may want to use a dual LNB feed for CBand and run 2 coaxes to the DiSEqC. That way you don't have to switch polarities every time you switch between an odd and even transponder.

Last edited:
What c-band lnb would you suggest? There still any FTA anolog C band channels?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Terry Harrison

LOTS of anlog channels

news feeds
sports feeds
church channels, etc

I just got a C-Band dish set up for G4 (99w) for the networks :)

I will try to rephrase my question, I a new at this and I'm not very knowledgeable
What I want to do, if possible, is to receive anolog and digital channels with my big c band dish. I have the anolog receiver and
the coolsat 5000. Is there one lnb that will do this? If I need a seperate lnb for
the digital channels what type of lnb would I need? is there any hardware available for mounting two different lnbs to the big dishes? Is there any web site
that a newbie like me can go to for basic info on these ku and C band satellite
systems? thanks again for all the help and feed back

Terry Harrison

tbh9365 said:
I will try to rephrase my question, I a new at this and I'm not very knowledgeable
What I want to do, if possible, is to receive anolog and digital channels with my big c band dish. I have the anolog receiver and
the coolsat 5000. Is there one lnb that will do this? If I need a seperate lnb for
the digital channels what type of lnb would I need? is there any hardware available for mounting two different lnbs to the big dishes? Is there any web site
that a newbie like me can go to for basic info on these ku and C band satellite
systems? thanks again for all the help and feed back
It sounds like you are already better than half way there!

You don't need a seperate LNB for digital, it just needs to be good enough to lock the signals. I'd definately try with the equipment you already have. If the signal is marginal on the the Coolsat and analog looks fine, an LNB upgrade may be in order.

For C and Ku on the same dish you first need to make sure that the mesh on your dish is Ku friendly and if it is then you can look into a C/Ku feedhorn or even a C/Ku LNBF. The general rule of thumb for Ku is if you can't pass a pencil through the mesh, it should work. Smaller holes or no holes at all is prefered.

There is a lot of good information in the C-band area's FAQs

Thanks, I'll try and get it all going this weekend, if the weather and my wife cooperates. thanks again.

Terry Harrison

At the moment, it could be as simple as, slaving out of your analog box into the diseqc switch and from switch to Coolsat, while your Primestar would also go to the diseqc switch and your Coolsat would need to be set accordingly to accept the signals from each dish.

Al

Edit: If I were you, I would consider refitting/upgrading the C-band dish to a c/ku feedhorn, unless you already have. If not, you will need a ku lnb for the new feedhorn, you can use the c lnb you already have. Then youwould hook it up something like this:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I got my C band up and running this weekend. Only on the Anolog channels.
I haven't wired it to my coolsat yet. I am able to pickup G4, and T6. With T6
being at my upper limit. This lets me set the dish and my lower limit and take
it out of the way of my Dish Network dish. I will have to move my Dish Network
dish to another location soon. Hopefully there are a good many DVB C band
channels between my lower Limit and T6. Thanks for all the help and Ideas

Terry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)