C.C. Sabathia: Traded to Brewers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
C.C. Sabathia: Traded to Brewers

Though slated as the starting pitcher for Tuesday’s game against the Tigers, Anthony Castrovince’s MLB.com blog reports that an unconfirmed deal has been made.

"According to a Major League source, the Indians and Brewers have completed a trade in which Sabathia, the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, would be sent to Milwaukee for Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta and two other prospects. But that rumor could not immediately be confirmed."

*Edited to confirm the deal has been finalized.....

Last edited:
From Cy Young to shipped out?

What are the Indians thinking? Are they planning on going after a free-agent pitcher in the winter?

From Cy Young to shipped out?

What are the Indians thinking? Are they planning on going after a free-agent pitcher in the winter?

More prospects. Sigh......

We were 1 game away from the WS and we are rebuilding again!? Sigh....

Now we can add a starting pitcher, closer, bullpen help and middle of the order offensive power to the short list of our needs for next year....

If the Brewers do indeed add Sabathia, they would have to be considered the favorites- along with the Cubs- to win the NL pennant. Sabathia along with Ben Sheets, Manny Parra, and Jeff Suppan would be one of the best rotations in the NL.

ESPN is now reporting that the Indians agreed in principle to a deal with the Brewers.

See Link> HERE.

Cleveland would get minor league outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Double-A Huntsville, and others.

LaPorta is a big time power hitter, exactly what the Tribe needs. He played 1B while playing at Florida University, but was converted to the OF position in the minors when drafted by the Brewers, since 1B was occupied by Prince Fielder.

LaPorta was the 7th overall pick in '07 and was #23 on Baseball America's top 100 prospects. Many of the prospects in front of LaPorta are in the bigs now like Evan Longoria and Jay Bruce.

IMO, this is a win-win for both teams. The Indians season is over and we most likely got a better value in LaPorta than the 2 compensatory picks we would've received if Sabathia signed with someone at the end of this year. Although I think it is highly unlikely, we could always offer Sabathia a contract to come back when he's a free agent at the end of the year.

Last edited:
IMO, this is a win-win for both teams.

I agree, as long as the Brewers don't lose both Sabathia and Sheets to free agency, and advance to at least the NLCS (or worse yet don't qualify for the playoffs at all). That would be devasting, considering the prospects that they're sending to the Tribe.

Last edited:
Cleveland would get minor league outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Double-A Huntsville, and others.

LaPorta is a big time power hitter, exactly what the Tribe needs. He played 1B while playing at Florida University, but was converted to the OF position in the minors when drafted by the Brewers, since 1B was occupied by Prince Fielder.

LaPorta was the 7th overall pick in '07 and was #23 on Baseball America's top 100 prospects. Many of the prospects in front of LaPorta are in the bigs now like Evan Longoria and Jay Bruce.

IMO, this is a win-win for both teams.

If I were you,

I would hope and pray LaPorta turns into a stud player from a big trade, ala Sizemore.

I agree, as long as the Brewers don't lose both Sabathia and Sheets to free agency, and don't advance to at least the NLCS (or worse yet don't qualify for the playoffs at all). That would be devasting, considering the prospects that they're sending to the Tribe.

True. But if Sabathia doesn't resign with the Brewers, they get the 2 compensatory picks. Trading LaPorta and the other 2 prospects are just the price of renting a Cy Young pitcher for a few months.

With that said, Sabathia and Sheets are going to be quite a duo for the Brew crew. They should be able to put some real pressure on the Cubs. They are currently only 3.5 games back in the NL Central and are battling the Cards for the NL Wild Card spot.

ESPN is now reporting that the Indians agreed in principle to a deal with the Brewers.

See Link> HERE.

IMO, this is a win-win for both teams. The Indians season is over and we most likely got a better value in LaPorta than the 2 compensatory picks we would've received if Sabathia signed with someone at the end of this year. Although I think it is highly unlikely, we could always offer Sabathia a contract to come back when he's a free agent at the end of the year.

I think the Indians got screwed in this one,
A top notch Cy Young winner and all you got back was a double a player ???
Thats IT ???

I bet the Tigers would not have gotten him that cheap.

We gave up most of our top notch prospects to get Cabrera and Willis and the Brewers give up a AA guy that is NOT even thier TOP player.

Sheeeesh,
Jimbo

If I were you,

I would hope and pray LaPorta turns into a stud player from a big trade, ala Sizemore.

Obviously I am hoping LaPorta will be a stud. His power would be exactly what this team needs. Word is that he is moving up in the minors pretty quickly. He may even be available for big-league service next year.

You have to understand the position the Tribe was in. Our season is over this year and for us to get such a highly named prospect instead of losing Sabathia to free agency next year for nothing (ala Manny Ramirez & Jim Thome), is the best case scenario.

Like you said, hopefully this trade turns out like the Barolo Colon for Grady Sizemore + Cliff Lee trade.

Thats IT ???

We gave up most of our top notch prospects to get Cabrera and Willis and the Brewers give up a AA guy that is NOT even thier TOP player.

Sheeeesh,
Jimbo

Again, Sabathia is only a "rental" player. He becomes a free agent at the end of the year. We would lose him for nothing (besides 2 low compensatory picks) if he walked at the end of the year. For us to get a top notch prospect as LaPorta is pretty decent IMO. We/or anyone in the league could always resign him at the end of the year if we really wanted to. As for this year, our season is done, so we didn't have a reason to keep Sabathia for the remainder of this year.

Thats IT ???

Sheeeesh,
Jimbo

BTW, LaPorta WAS the Brewers top prospect. This is pretty impressive considering everything that I've been reading has said that the Brewers have one of the deepest stockpile of minor league talent in the league.

Sabathia will be missed indeed. But in the past few weeks/months, I've come to realization that we wouldn't be competing this year and the we needed to look towards the future.

Thats IT ???

Sheeeesh,
Jimbo

Umm, most 2007 draft picks aren't at Class AA yet.

And he was their top prospect.

I agree, as long as the Brewers don't lose both Sabathia and Sheets to free agency, and advance to at least the NLCS (or worse yet don't qualify for the playoffs at all). That would be devasting, considering the prospects that they're sending to the Tribe.

I think they will be able to keep Sheets - because of his injury history.

No way they will keep both.

C.C. turned down 4 years for $72 million from the Tribe.

Umm, most 2007 draft picks aren't at Class AA yet.

And he was their top prospect.

Exactly. Just a fair reminder (hopefully this will ease some worries), Sizemore was a Single A prospect and Cliff Lee was a Double A prospect at the time of the Bartolo Colon trade.

I'll take the over. He's scheduled to pitch again Tuesday. If that's in Milwaukee, that'll give him 2 more before the Break.

I checked the schedule- it's at home, but it's a toughie- he'll be facing the Rockies, and after what they did to the Marlins on Friday and Saturday, I hope he's on his game.

BTW,

what are the official bumbers from C.C.'s final start as an Indian, and did he get a win or loss?