Cable is not worth having

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kds64

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Arizona
The Cable Company here in San Carlos , AZ is not up to standred
$28.00 for only 40 channels the only pak they have here
Add HBO For 12.00 for One channel
Add SHOTIME For $12.00 for One channel
Add TMC for $12.00 For One Channel

channels some time blackout or lose channels
channel are snowy
no pay per views

thats why i got directv and dish network
but still need some info for C/KU band Satellite and FTA Satellite before i buy them

Last edited:
it snow a couple of months ago here in the gila county are and the cable went out from the snow

directv and dish network's signals were good at 70% or better
untouch by the snow

eek....28 bucks for 40 channels?

damn...makes my old cable company (where I lived a few years ago but they are still the same) look good.

$12 a month for 14 channels...yep..14

Yep, relatives in SE Missouri have a cable company that charges some near scary prices:

$40 for basic
$50 for 110 digital (not too bad, but NO HD at all)
$60 with HD (see below)
$45 for 512k/128k internet (OUCH!)

No premium add-ons

HD List

ESPN
ESPN 2
Discovery
HDNet
HDNet Movies
NBC 6
ABC 8
CBS 12
FOX 23
Showtime
The Movie Channel
Starz

When you live in the boonies with low residents per mile, it runs the infrastructure costs up - and fewer people to pay to recoup that. They have to make it up somehow.

Iceberg said:
eek....28 bucks for 40 channels?

damn...makes my old cable company (where I lived a few years ago but they are still the same) look good.

$12 a month for 14 channels...yep..14

Ew, how many of those 14 were locals?

damaged said:
Ew, how many of those 14 were locals?

5 of them

I just found their channel "list" and it hasnt changed since I left :)

2 TNT
3 CNN
4 WGN
5 TBS
6 KARE (NBC)
7 ABC FAMILY
8 ESPN
9 KAWE (PBS)
10 DISCOVERY
11 FSN NORTH
12 KCCW (CBS)
13 WDIO (ABC)
14 FOXNET (yes, FoxNet)
15 USA

WOO HOO!

2 CMT
3 WTBS
4 TNT
5 WJSU ABC
6 WBRC FOX
7 WCIQ PBS
8 SPIKE TV
9 AMERICA ONE
10 THE WEATHER CHANNEL
11 WIAT CBS
12 WTJP TBN
13 WVTM NBC
14 SCI FI
15 WTTO WB (CW in Sept.)
16 NICK
17 HBO
18 CINEMAX
19 QVC
20 ABC FAMILY
21 USA
22 DISCOVERY
23 CARTOON NETWORK
24 A&E
25 LIFETIME
26 AMC
27 TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE
28 HEADLINE NEWS
29 FOX SPORTS NET SOUTH
30 ESPN
31 ESPN2
32 THE LEARNING CHANNEL
33 HOME & GARDEN TV
34 HALLMARK
35 CNN
36 HISTORY
37 TV LAND
38 FOX NEWS
39 TURNER SOUTH
40 VH1
41 ANIMAL PLANET
42 FX
43 SPORTSMAN CHANNEL
44 PENTAGON CHANNEL
45 SPEED
46 INFOMATION CHANNEL (also C BAND TALK on Sunday nights)
95 FOOD NETWORK
96 COURT TV
98 WSBK UPN (Independent in Sept.)
99 WJXS FMN

what I have for $34.99 a month w/o HBO/MAX

cablewithaview said:
2 CMT
3 WTBS
4 TNT
5 WJSU ABC
6 WBRC FOX
7 WCIQ PBS
8 SPIKE TV
9 AMERICA ONE
10 THE WEATHER CHANNEL
11 WIAT CBS
12 WTJP TBN
13 WVTM NBC
14 SCI FI
15 WTTO WB (CW in Sept.)
16 NICK
17 HBO
18 CINEMAX
19 QVC
20 ABC FAMILY
21 USA
22 DISCOVERY
23 CARTOON NETWORK
24 A&E
25 LIFETIME
26 AMC
27 TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE
28 HEADLINE NEWS
29 FOX SPORTS NET SOUTH
30 ESPN
31 ESPN2
32 THE LEARNING CHANNEL
33 HOME & GARDEN TV
34 HALLMARK
35 CNN
36 HISTORY
37 TV LAND
38 FOX NEWS
39 TURNER SOUTH
40 VH1
41 ANIMAL PLANET
42 FX
43 SPORTSMAN CHANNEL
44 PENTAGON CHANNEL
45 SPEED
46 INFOMATION CHANNEL (also C BAND TALK on Sunday nights)
95 FOOD NETWORK
96 COURT TV
98 WSBK UPN (Independent in Sept.)
99 WJXS FMN

what I have for $34.99 a month w/o HBO/MAX

Adelphia in Buffalo charges $55 for roughly this same package. Talk about a rip-off.

When they asked why I was dropping cable after the hockey playoffs, I said because I got tired of paying the Ben Dover rate for crappy static filled analog channels.

Comcast in Brick,NJ charges $56.75 for a service that they call "Preferred Basic" cable . They also charge $5 extra for a package called the "ValuePac" which includes TNT, Discovery Channel, AMC, Cartoon Network, SCI-FI Channel & Fox News Channel. These channels aren't included with Expanded Basic.

Below is the analog cable lineup

2 WCBS (CBS, NY)*
3 KYW (CBS, PHILA.)
4 WNBC (NBC, NY)*
5 WNYW (FOX, NY)
6 WPVI (ABC, PHILA.)
7 WABC (ABC, NY)*
8 CN8
9 WWOR (UPN, NY)
10 WCAU (NBC, PHILA.)
11 WPIX (WB, NY)
12 WTXF (FOX, PHILA.)
13 WNET (PBS, NY)*
14 WNYE
15 WNJN
16 WFUT (TELEFUTURA, NEWARK)
17 WPHL (WB, PHILA.)
18 TBS Superstation
19 EWTN/TBN
20 Municipal Access
21 QVC
22 WPXN/C-SPAN2
23 WXTV (UNIVISION, PATERSON)
24 TNT+
25 Discovery Channel+
26 AMC+
27 Cartoon Network+
28 Sci Fi Channel+
29 Fox News Channel+
30 CNN Headline News
31 CNN
32 The Weather Channel
33 CNBC
34 MSNBC
35 C-SPAN
36 Turner Classic Movies
37 TV Guide Channel
38 CMT (moving to Digital Cable this month)
39 Discovery Health
40 YES Network
41 TLC
42 Home and Garden Television
43 FX
44 Nickelodeon
45 TV Land
46 Animal Planet
47 ABC Family
48 A&E
49 VH1
50 MTV
51 Spike TV
52 HSN
53 Court TV
54 Game Show Network
55 USA
56 Comedy Central
57 E!
58 Style
59 Lifetime Television
60 History Channel
61 Food Network
62 News 12 New Jersey
63 Comcast Sportsnet*
64 MSG Network
65 ESPN*
66 ESPN2
67 ESPN Classic (moving to Digital Cable this month)
68 The Golf Channel
69 OLN
70 Speed Channel
71 Fox Sports New York
72 HBO*
76 Bravo
77 SportsNet NY
81 Leased Access
97 Public Access

Mid-Missouri is bad too. We had Mediacom a couple years ago when we lived in Columbia. Costs for High Speed Internet + Digital Cable w/ On demand package was running us about 110.00 a month... one of the primary reasons we didn't get cable when we moved, and are now FTA.

I live in a metro area. Medicom serves all the cities. One city has a city owned utility with its own cable company. MediaCom is $20/month cheapier in that city than in the one I live in due to the competition. Kinda makes ya sick, as you are paying more for teh same thing that someone down the street gets. I don't sub to them, and that is one of the many reasons :)

off topic, neosg - I would be curious as to which part of the Constitution your signature is referring to.

Time-warner cable in Austin,tx., where my sister lives, charges $50 for their expanded basic package and $57 for the digital basic package, yikes!

The Adelphia here charges $50 for a 65 channel basic. $10 more gets you digital basic, but you also have to pay the converter rental fee.

This is what I think sucks! If you want a pay service, you have to pay for the channel, then the converter rental fee.

The competition, only outside the city, charges$10 less for basic, but is a little more for digital. The competition also offers analog pay services, so you don't have to rent the converter.

By the way, the competition, a small 3,500 sub system...
HBO 10.95
MAX 9.95
SHO 9.95
The digital pays are more.

Cable systems had to be making LOTS from pay channels 10-15 years ago, back when everybody paid about $11 for one channel!

The system that is now Adelphia started charging $11.95 for 1 HBO in 1991! This is a wonderful example of how competition from satellite is good; I do not think they could get away with that now.

When Adelphia rebuilt the system, I thought the high prices were gone. They added lots of channels, about 20 , and didn't go up a dime. About 3 months later, they started going on up!!!

The sad thing is this...HAD CABLE SYSTEMS NOT BEEN SO GREEDY IN THE 90'S, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE LOST SO MANY CUSTOMERS TO SATELLITE.

I think I got you all beat. $30 for only 23 channels. One HBO available if you want it for around $15 or $16 (the last time I checked about 5 or 6 years ago. Picture quality SUCKY! Not digital. No high speed internet available. If this cable company was not here then we would have a LOT better cable service such as Charter. At least then I could get some high speed internet that is good.

I went to the Adelphia website and it looks like Time Warner is going to be taking over. Why do I have the feeling that this will not help the service in my area? When this cable company got bought out all these other times over the past 10 years they went from 10 channels to 23 at least. I think they just have one satellite dish up on a hill about a mile from me to receive the channels from one location. I was so glad when satellite service started.

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
I think I got you all beat. $30 for only 23 channels. One HBO available if you want it for around $15 or $16 (the last time I checked about 5 or 6 years ago. Picture quality SUCKY! Not digital. No high speed internet available. If this cable company was not here then we would have a LOT better cable service such as Charter. At least then I could get some high speed internet that is good.

I went to the Adelphia website and it looks like Time Warner is going to be taking over. Why do I have the feeling that this will not help the service in my area? When this cable company got bought out all these other times over the past 10 years they went from 10 channels to 23 at least. I think they just have one satellite dish up on a hill about a mile from me to receive the channels from one location. I was so glad when satellite service started.
That's incredible!!! They probably have the same system they had 25 years ago; a simple 2-13 system (14-22 are really between 6 and 7 and 23 is one above 13)
I can't believe they have any customers.

After the buyout of adelphia by tw/comcast I'll be on my 4th cable co in 13 years!

I had something called dimension and then harron...

harron was OK because they didn't promise much and it was pretty simple...ppv's if you want them, pay channels. it was all just basic cable

adelphia comes in and did some huge ad blitz about digital this and that and the internet....well time goes on... I called and asked if there's digital boxes. Basically they told me that they come on a first come first serve basis....at SIX AM!:eek:

No waiting list or reserve to be put on....ultimatly I was extreamly angry and wrote a email to a regional office that they treated the boxes like superbowl tickets.

Low and behold about four days later they called me to tell me they have two waiting at the office!

Personally I think the cable modem is excellent. I have no problems with that at all...the digital cable though I'm getting bored with. The on demand programming is OK but honestly I hardly use it....why not? because I have a PVR (my own not theirs) and I rather record and what what I want...not some predefined list. I used to really like the Gotuit feature on the raw uncut news (raw feeds) they took that out :mad:

The phone company has a dish plan I might like and save around $20 a month. However I heard that DTV might buyout dish and I already know what it's like dealing with just one cable co...I don't like monopolies so fta or canadian looks good now.

Heck the way I see it is if I combined a fta of a ku with a cband and kept a OTA for hd stations (locals) you wouldn't really need to pay anything...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)