Cablevision Board To Debate Voom Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
fredfa said:
It would be nice for Cablevision to issue a statement denying (or at least clarifying) the press reports.

I agree with you on this one. There's need to be a statement from CVC to clarify their position. I do not see it happening until they settled their differences one way or another.

We can speculate all we want here but the fact is that corporate decisions are made in favor of the company/investors and not necessarily in the best interest of it's customers. In Vooms case, there aren't that many customers to p** off in the first place.

This is not "Monopoly money"...it's big $$$ bleeding every quarter and not all the investors are visionaries like Mr. Dolan. Many great ventures get tossed because of lack of funding every day. Few take flight after losing millions but it's harder in this day of quick profit making.

Making a company look good on paper and then selling it off is done every day with hundreds of companies...this one just hasn't been able to look good on the books yet!

Hopefully this isn't the end for Voom or whatever it morphs into...
I will continue to watch my VOom for now...and then will see what happens!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Well while the news sounds bad, I know from running this site that something is up. I am able to see who is looking at what and where they are from. I know something is up at Cablevision and I know Cablevision is spending MILLIONS on a brand new uplink for VOOM which is almost complete, plus VOOM just started the process of switching out its moterola encoders in favor of Harmonic encoders.

They wouldn't be expanding and spending the money to expand if they did not have something up their sleave.

Should we be concerned? I would say so, however the news does not mean you should dump VOOM, infact if VOOM is purchased by someone else you might find yourself in line for some very good deals from other providers all because your a VOOM customer.

So stick in there and wait it out and enjoy the most HDTV possible today on VOOM. :)

Scott,
With all due respect you are sounding like a pomp-pomp cheerleader. I hope you are right, but I have seen business dump money into a business and then one day decide to pull the plug. VOOM spending money on the uplink facility and encoders is in no way a sign they will stick around. I have worked fo a computer company that was pending money and more money on a system that was not selling. One day they announced a major camapiagn and started upgrading the system by pouring millions of development dollars into it. The very next week, the system was scraped. I don't mean to be a pessemist, but if all you are going on is a new uplink facility and new encoders, that does not give me a warm and fuzzy. Thanks for trying thoug.

8-6 means that if he fires his son and installs someone else hes at least tied 7-7. Looks like a blood bath.

vurbano said:
8-6 means that if he fires his son and installs someone else hes at least tied 7-7. Looks like a blood bath.

Very interesting Math and strategy.

truqui said:
This is not "Monopoly money"...it's big $$$ bleeding every quarter and not all the investors are visionaries like Mr. Dolan. Many great ventures get tossed because of lack of funding every day. Few take flight after losing millions but it's harder in this day of quick profit making.

I agree, with the focus on quarterly performance by Wall Street, it is hard for big corporations to build new companies/ventures that take a while to generate income. Look at Mike Armstrong at AT&T, he had the right vision of building a integrated communications company (wireless, cable, LD networks), but was forced to sell the parts because time ran out.

Best scenario for Voom is that Chuck Dolan, together with some other wealthy investors (Paul Allen), takes VOOM and runs with it. A big marketing challenge will be how to educate and convince Average Joe that there is a difference in HDTV (D* down rezzed stuff versus VOOM's).

vurbano said:
I vote for firing junior and hiring M Cuban in his place.

Now that's a match made in heaven.

truqui said:
This is not "Monopoly money"...

HA! Tell that to people who live in CVC's cable service area! :) Who do you think is funding V*? It aint the subs, that's for sure...

If D* and E* really have no interest in the satellite then reality is that some group of investors could likely buy it at firesale prices. Perhaps even Dolan Sr. would lead this (he can use what would have been his traitor son's inheritance dollars).

In that case, as a new company that is not saddled with debt, a reborn VOOM could have a chance. Remember the original Irididim Satellite Phone venture? Talk about a business fiasco. Iridium was eventually sold for pennies on the dollar. From what I understand Iridium is now a profitable venture basically because the new investors are not carrying all of the original debt. I could see a similar scenario playing out for Voom.

I certainly am not cancelling my install. As others have noted, if they do go dark I am $1 dollar poorer and have an OTA antenna out of the deal. I do not think this news should disuade any one from signing up for VOOM. It ain't over till its over.

BTW, in my earlier post my point was that Voom is the only real HD satellite alternative. If you want HD, it is now really between cable and VOOM.

It sure will be a major bummer of they shut down soon. I was hoping Voom would last at least until some other good options were available. I was thinking with D*'s new satellite capacity, maybe they would stop providing HD-lite, and that would be a possible alternative if Voom went dark (even though I would miss the exclusives!), but if they go dark at the end of the month I don't know what I'll do. Can't get good quality HD picture from E* or D*.. Maybe my local cable co? I don't know how their HD quality is. I sure hope Voom somehow makes it!

truqui said:
This is not "Monopoly money"...it's big $$$ bleeding every quarter and not all the investors are visionaries like Mr. Dolan.

Actually it is monopoly money being that Cablevision is a cablle company and has the status of a legally sanctioned monopoly. :) :D :D

vurbano said:

Firing his son would mean firing the President of Cablevision. That is even more serious than firing an individual board member.

Well, I'm gonna enjoy my free starzhd and call the cable co. ~01/27/05 for an install apptmt.

rtt2 said:
Actually it is monopoly money being that Cablevision is a cablle company and has the status of a legally sanctioned monopoly. :) :D :D

Good one...!!!
Actually, it might be like "monopoly money" or "play money" for the Dolan Family but for other investors who want to make big profits fast and retire to their homes in the Hamptons soon...it's $$$ they are not gaining yet.

vurbano said:
Ah, I say he'll whack Aunt Sally or Uncle Bob before going after Jr. Someone at VOOM should be recording this for their Reality HD. Well, at least that would bring them one step closer to offering 70 HD channels by March. :rolleyes:

Is Charles Dolan senile or what?

Apparently, he doesn't give a rat's/ass about shareholders. Do the math. ZOOM looses 300 million a year (conservatively). Divide that by 26,000 subscribers and you'll discover that each subscriber is costing Cablevision a whopping $11,538.46 per year. Think of it this way, for Zoom just to break-even they would need to increase their monthly subscription rate to $962.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)