Cablevision Board To Debate Voom Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read every post in this excellent thread with comments from every conceivable angle including humor.

My conclusions:

1 - Now would be a dumb time for a Voom customer to dump Voom no matter what happens. If Voom ends, somebody will buy the Voom subscriber contact list and offer ex-Voom subscribers all kinds of special deals. Or Voom service could get merged with another service. Or, we can only hope, the service might even continue. Why jump ship now? Enjoy Voom while it lasts.

2 - What were the Voom founders thinking? (other than Dolan sr.) It takes a good 3 or 4 years to establish a business. Why would they go into this and pull the plug after a year and a half? Hardly enough time to get it going. Really, what's with those guys??

3 - Don't write off Dolan sr., the visionary. He hasn't finished his work yet.

Voom offers better product than the competition, period. Better PQ, very well chosen exclusive channels and content. I had been with Dish for 8!!! years before I switched. BTW, when I first went to Dish, everyone was saying they'll be out of business in a year....

Voom has been invisible until just couple of months ago. With their advertising ramped up, they are suddenly visible, and this will translate into subscribers: as I said, Voom DOES have a better product. In the long run, investors WILL make better profit than if they sell now, and luckily Dolan Sr. seems to understand this.

As far as analysts, they are just people, and many are not so bright (they would be bankers if they were brighter:) A few years ago they thought Apple was on its death bed (it is over $70 today), and WorldCom was a hot stock. So, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are not. Many times the chimp throwing darts at a board of companies will outperform them....

Go Voom and Go Dolan Sr.! As for Dolan Jr., maybe he should have worked his way up the ranks before given a title, but..., live and learn.

Go easy, this may be DarrellP's first post ever where he does not compalin about "skeeter noise". ;-)

Sorry, Sean, but, I believe, Darrell is correct:

"major showdown in the family that controls the Cablevision Systems Corporation ended yesterday with the son outmaneuvering the father and persuading directors to vote to put the company's troubled satellite business up for sale."

Sorry to say.

Watching HDTV with fingers crossed in record high (60 with 64 predicted) temps in Seattle, Gill

seandudley said:
I don't know what I'll do. Can't get good quality HD picture from E* or D*.. Maybe my local cable co? I don't know how their HD quality is. I sure hope Voom somehow makes it!
I've got Comcast in North Ridgeville, OH and my quality is excellent. I don't pay anything extra for HD than I do for digital cable. I always had Digital Plus, and when I added HD, they set my up with a nice Motorola HD box and HD programing with NO INCREASE in monthly cost. No box rental fee. No HD Programing fee. Not too bad, huh? Now, I don't have 37 HD channels, I have ESPN, Disc, INHD, INHD2, ABC, NBC, FOX, and the movie channels that you have to subscribe to seperately. I know, I know its not a huge number of channels, but INHD and INHD2 are amazing channels that supply very diverse content from eye candy-type stuff to sports to movies to IMAX...very good channels, indeed. Just something for you all to consider as a backup if your VOOM gets terminated. And, the price break that I get for being a cable tv subscriber is nice. With taxes included, I pay right at $100/month for Digital cable with HD package and High Speed cable internet. That's decent.

In one of the earlier pages in this thead, someone suggested emailing Jimmy and gave what he thouht could be his email address. I don't know how many others did, but I sent an email and it was delivered. I got a receipt. don't know if sonny read it himself but it seems to be a working address.

jdolan@cablevision.com

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Sorry, Sean, but, I believe, Darrell is correct:

"major showdown in the family that controls the Cablevision Systems Corporation ended yesterday with the son outmaneuvering the father and persuading directors to vote to put the company's troubled satellite business up for sale."

Sorry to say.

Watching HDTV with fingers crossed in record high (60 with 64 predicted) temps in Seattle, Gill

Not doubting the NY Times news. See my two post on the matter a few posts back. While the NY Times says that the son outmaneuvered the others report do not mention anything like that. So read the previous posts and it makes you think who has the right information.

Welcome to the forum, GreatMac!
I agree! VOOM is not a short-term investment. Never was. It's about the future. It's about creating the Third Satellite provider and about changing the entire landscape, shaking the industry and raising the bar! And for us, customers, it's about giving us a taste of the future now and today!
It takes a great vision and a lot of courage to do that. Thanks to Mr. Dolan Sr. for that!

Ilya

I am a Dish sub.

How is Voom offering a better product? More HD yes but how is it better?

The PQ has been debated constantly with no resolve.
No working HD DVR (Dish 921 doesn't work either) or DVR at all for that matter.
Not all SD channels are covered.
Terrible installation problems.

Small silver lining with all this Doom Voom talk, rumors are that Jobs is getting into the home media/HDTV business (Mac TV?), maybe together with Sony....

MrPorterhouse said:
I've got Comcast in North Ridgeville, OH and my quality is excellent....

Ummm, No.... Been there. Tried it when I was exploring HD alternatives. Cable has much higher compression than Voom, and it looks like crap on my plasma, and even on my 30" LCD. It is also noticeably worse than Dish (and Dish is worse than Voom). If you like what you see from Comcast, you either need a new prescription, or you have never seen Voom....

I'd suggest you try Voom. It is only a buck. You'll never want to go back.

GreatMac said:
Ummm, No.... Been there. Tried it when I was exploring HD alternatives. Cable has much higher compression than Voom, and it looks like crap on my plasma, and even on my 30" LCD. It is also noticeably worse than Dish (and Dish is worse than Voom). If you like what you see from Comcast, you either need a new prescription, or you have never seen Voom....

I'd suggest you try Voom. It is only a buck. You'll never want to go back.
Ummm, Yes...Have it. Love it.

How can you tell me that I don't have great service? I am the one who fires up my HDTV, and its absolutely stunning. And the monthly price for HD? Ahhhh, did I say FREE. As in, NO Monthly Charge for HD. How can you beat that?

Have you had Comcast in North Ridgeville? Or are you making an ignorant statment lumping ALL cable into one big category? Cable areas vary GREATLY from area to area. Heck, even the bordering city's HD Cable is much, much worse that the deal and service I get right here.

Oh yeah, How much is VOOM's high speed internet pack?
Ohhhhh, that's right, VOOM doesn't do High Speed Internet. The combination of SDTV, HDTV, and high speed internet plays a HUGE factor in my choice of HDTV provider. I can't have any of those three elements missing. If I dump Comcast cable tv, then my internet bill jumps from $43 to about $60 per month.

bdemz said:
I am a Dish sub.

How is Voom offering a better product? More HD yes but how is it better?

Noticeably better SD quality on many channels compared to Dish (e.g. History Channel and even CNN, FOX). Really good content on the exclusive HD channels. I had completely given up watching movies on satellite, kept HBO for the Sopranos only and did my movie watching from Netflix. Now I actually catch myself watching much less news and much more Voom on those exclusive HD channels. Great selection of movies and other content, and Equator is actually addictive:) I really, really would hate to go back to Dish.

I'll post a theory, Sr sold stock recently, he quits Cablevision and buys Voom for dirt cheap, now he has control over Voom. Jr moves up in Cablevisions eyes because he got rid of a money pit and stockholders are happy. Maybe it's just a ploy to build up press for Voom and Cablevision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts