Can a diplexer used for DBS coexist with our FTA equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
This question has most likely been asked before here on the forums, I did look around and seen different suggestions and ways but will give it a go again, I was thinking of getting an OTH HDTV antenna for the HD sets I have this year. I want to put the thing on my out building where my 80 CM dish is now and having if possible using the same RG6 coax as a lead in to my HD TV’s.

My question is can any diplexer out there work with existing FTA setups or is there something fancy you got to do to get it to work?

Right now with the existing setup I pick up nothing on my LCD HD ready sets and have gotten a couple things to come in with the old twin antennas that came with the older sets. I was wondering if it can be done with the existing diplexers out there on the market. Any suggestions welcome!

Guess what I am asking in short, can you use regular diplexers (like the DBS ones) in a FTA set up? Can the ones work that work with DSS systems work with our equipment?

Comments or suggestions on where to put the diplexer in the FTA line? I know I need 2 of them, one out at the dish and one inside to split the signals.

Drawing diagrams on how you would do it also welcome! :)

Picture is what I have now as my current set-up.

Thanks

Attachments

• FTABman0 current setup.JPG
    FTABman0 current setup.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 234
It depends what frequency your lnb is outputting if its bellow 1450 mhz then yes it will work. Most likely your lnb outputs 950-2150 if this is the case you would only get signal on some transponders.

This question has most likely been asked before here on the forums, I did look around and seen different suggestions and ways but will give it a go again, I was thinking of getting an OTH HDTV antenna for the HD sets I have this year. I want to put the thing on my out building where my 80 CM dish is now and having if possible using the same RG6 coax as a lead in to my HD TV’s.

My question is can any diplexer out there work with existing FTA setups or is there something fancy you got to do to get it to work?

Right now with the existing setup I pick up nothing on my LCD HD ready sets and have gotten a couple things to come in with the old twin antennas that came with the older sets. I was wondering if it can be done with the existing diplexers out there on the market. Any suggestions welcome!

Guess what I am asking in short, can you use regular diplexers (like the DBS ones) in a FTA set up? Can the ones work that work with DSS systems work with our equipment?

Comments or suggestions on where to put the diplexer in the FTA line? I know I need 2 of them, one out at the dish and one inside to split the signals.

Drawing diagrams on how you would do it also welcome! :)

Picture is what I have now as my current set-up.

Thanks

DBS diplexers can be used for FSS systems, but diplexers introduce signal loss that you may find unacceptable. We require that Glorystar (FSS) installations be direct connections without diplexers and suggest that our customers do not use them if alternatives exist.

On a personal note: With a direct connection to an outside terrestrial antenna I am able to reliably receive San Francisco and San Jose channels. Add a diplexer and the channels Signal Quality drops to threshold with severe blocking while some channels disappear completely. FSS signals loose 5 - 10% quality. Needless to say, I use separate cables!

Wow, so it is not like using the old diplexers like on the DBS stuff when you added an OTA antenna! Thanks Brian! That answered my question 100%! NO I do not want to have any insertion loss on my FTA system!

I was curious a couple years ago before this digital thing came along just to add something outside to get my local TV station here in Parkersburg. Now with digital here I wanted to move that way and get something outside for I am in the outskirts of town, not fringe but almost since I live in a valley here.

I never could pick up the analog clear and now I can’t even pick up the digital stuff from them inside where my set is at! We have also PBS stations in OH that a neighbor 4 houses down can get on her 36’ HDTV and she is getting them on “Rabbit Ears” but nothing here for me that easy! :mad:
Guess it is just where I am located.

I will run a separate cable to the antenna when I decide what one to buy this week. Again, always nice to get advice from a professional! I guess it was wishful thinking on using that same lead in!

Thanks again Brian! :up

I use to have diplexers in the FTA line too but had issues. Got rid of them and only have one right now set up for the TV in the basement and its to combine channel 3 from the Starchoice system and a sat line for G10 only to a receiver.

not really. Has to do with the fact that DBS is much higher powered sats than the KU Band

Thanks Tony,

Looks like this week I will be shopping for new coax and brand new HDTV antenna for my LCD's.

Any suggestions on a good decent priced outdoor antenna for HD??

Local stuff is about 25 miles away and PBS Stuff is about 50 miles or so away.

I have one of those Phillips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV antennas that is amplified with a wall wart. I will use that in the bedroom. It seems to do well inside but would do much better outside. I just want one bigger for the main system in the living room, further coverage so to speak. :D

Attachments

• Phillips MANT940 HDTV 1.jpg
    Phillips MANT940 HDTV 1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Phillips MANT940 HDTV 2.jpg
    Phillips MANT940 HDTV 2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 144
The Channel Master 4228HD is considered one of the best OTA antennas out there. I am considering adding one to my antenna farm :)

Hey thanks Tron for that suggestion! Price is right where I wanted to pay and it does not look like we are back in the 70’s with those long VHF -UHF reception element antennas. I will be looking to purchase one here real soon!

Kevin

Attachments

• CM4228.jpg
    CM4228.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 146
I've got a Radio Shack U120 but then we're back to the bigger antennas..but hey it works great :)

Ahh, yes Ice, back when Radio Shack had the Model numbers U As in UHF and 120 as the miles that it would cover. The good ol days of the Shack! You could go in and buy anything you ever would need for any project you had on the construction grid paper as a project!

They carry Bubcus now, "Very Little" in the hobbyist electronic builder these days! You now have to get some of those hard to find items like transistors, Mega Ohm resistors and hard to find weird values of caps from some other vendor by mail order now that has a limit quantity instead of one!

You always had the sales guy asking what you were building with the parts, and then after you told them, they would tell you "That won't work!" Even though you built a working project before you described to the guy when he asked!

B-Man

Ahh, yes Ice, back when Radio Shack had the Model numbers U As in UHF and 120 as the miles that it would cover. The good ol days of the Shack! You could go in and buy anything you ever would need for any project you had on the construction grid paper as a project!

They carry Bubcus now, "Very Little" in the hobbyist electronic builder these days! You now have to get some of those hard to find items like transistors, Mega Ohm resistors and hard to find weird values of caps from some other vendor by mail order now that has a limit quantity instead of one!

You always had the sales guy asking what you were building with the parts, and then after you told them, they would tell you "That won't work!" Even though you built a working project before you described to the guy when he asked!

B-Man

Sure, there's that, but they can hook you up with a really awesome cell phone, videogame console or thump thump stereo system DUDE!
Tandy has essentially gone to hell.

Are any of your locals staying on low band (2-6)? Reason I ask is that KPRC is supposed to stay on REAL ch2 (54mhz) here when this digital fiasco all said and done. If you will have any lowband channels you might want to be informed on the specs of what you are shopping for.
Anyway, how do you expect to do any decent TVDX'ing without a CH8200, on a tower at 60' on a rotor?
Also, the stations that are running 'dual mode' right now are not running at full output on the digital side. Double (or more) electricity bill for the same potential audience. Kind of a no brainer.

Here in Mpls just Fox & NBC are going back to VHF...back to their analog channels 9 & 11

PBS, CBS & ABC (2,4,5) are staying on UHF

Mike Kohl has a good list of what is staying on 2-6

Attachments

• US CH 2-6 FULL POWER DIGITAL TV.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 168
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)