Can channels be set to go straight to the SD channel on a certain tuner?

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I have an SD TV on Tuner 2, and an HDTV on Tuner 1. When I type in a channel number, lets say channel 200 for CNN, on Tuner 2 it goes straight to the HD channel, forcing me to go down a channel to the SD channel. Is there a way to get it to go straight to the SD channel on Tuner 2?

Maybe there's a better way, but I just set up a favorites list with SD only, and that's what I use when on TV2. Then it only goes to the channels on that list.

You won't notice any major picture difference. The easiest thing to do would be make a favorites list. If you change the channel display option in the menus (menu-6-9-chan display), and set it to SD only with DISH HD channels disabled, it will effect both TV's (so TV1 would only show the SD channels as well).

Allright, I made the favorites list, but when I type in a channel manually, it goes to the HD channel even though the HD channel isn't set to be on the favorites list...

Good idea sjvirchow. For TV1 outputs, HD should take precedence (as it does), while for TV2, it should be the SD channel (if it exists).

Matt, is there a Dish Network suggestion box anywhere? I'd like to drop a few good ideas in there as well.

There's not a public suggestion box that I'm aware of. The two things I can suggest is either send an email (via website), or get with an agent to escalate it. I'll see if I can find a suggestion box somewhere.

In response to MattG, no the HD channels do not appear in the Guide, when my SD only favorites list is selected and active. But when I type in a channel number, it goes to the HD channel anyway, which makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks Matt. In addition to a dumb suggestion box (this is the 21st century after all), some poll-like characteristics would help to prioritize. Perhaps a poll thread on a forum like this one, entitled "Suggestion Box", would suffice. Customers could all vote on how good (or bad) our ideas are. ;)

I understand that people do want to voice their opinions for improvements and whatnot. I'll forward the suggestion for the suggestion box :p. I think it's a great idea personally.

I understand that people do want to voice their opinions for improvements and whatnot. I'll forward the suggestion for the suggestion box :p. I think it's a great idea personally.
I don't want to get the moniker of johnny come lately ... but the OP and Suggestionbox are among the design flaws dish has.

ie. Sling Adapter and web data issues, channel mapping for HD or SD capable outputs ... its like Dish hired people to develop these devices, but not to use them in an every day capacity, or they used it short term and thought "hey, my five minutes of testing and its all perfect" was just not what it should've been.

I mean really .. I've had my 722's since December, and immediately noticed issues with skip that weren't there with my 625's. I've had my SlingAdapters since mid january and have found several issues, how is it possible any of these were in devlopment for longer than a few months and someone didn't tell them "you did it wrong dude." :)

You won't notice any major picture difference. The easiest thing to do would be make a favorites list. If you change the channel display option in the menus (menu-6-9-chan display), and set it to SD only with DISH HD channels disabled, it will effect both TV's (so TV1 would only show the SD channels as well).

This is how I have my VIP722k/w MT2 setup and it works correctly,also software is L682.For the HD Channels I have to go to the 4 digit HD channels in the guide or the HD Only Channel List when you press the Guide Button 3 times.;)

Also remember when you change your channel display preferences to double check your timers as they will be changed or deleted.:eek:

Menu-6-9-chan display, set the options to SD only and have DISH HD channels disabled. This will make it so whenever you want to use an HD channel, you will have to go to the 5xxx-9xxx in order to view it on both TV1 and TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)