Can I get Hot Bird on a Dish Network Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

anssouh

Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
USA
Hi there,I have an extra set (Dish + lnbs) "Dish Network 500+" and I wanted to install them in Europe to receive HOT BIRD satellite signal. My questions are:1- From a technical point of view, is there any limitations of using Dish Network (Dish & LNB) for other satellite reception or not?2- Are the LNBs tuned to receive the 3 Dish Network Sats only or can I change that?3- If I hook another decoder to the distribution box from Dish Network would it work?4- Basically, if I have a decoder from Europe and the rest of 500+ components and I'm intending to receive only HOT BIRD Sat signal, can I do it?Thanks

This might get a better response if in the OTA section of the forum.

Dish will not sell outside the US, but that being said there are many subscribers that arrange for a US service address. There are brokers for this in various countries, and people may have relatives or friends in the US that let them use their address. Of course you have to buy all your own equipment since the Dish installer is not going to be fooled into leaving the US for the install. The satellites Dish uses have their antennas shaped to provide coverage over the US and the signal drops off rapidly as you move away from the US, hence the need for large dishes.

What I think the op is wanting to know is can he use his dish with the proper receiver over there, but use a DISH dish to get hot bird.

Welcome to the forum !! I want to say no, but I really have no idea, I have no experience with Hot Bird.

Not unless you change the LNBF. As with most European satellites, Hotbird satellites use linear polarization and transponder frequencies range from 10700 to 12750 so a universal linear LNBF is required.

If others in your area use dishes about the same size as your surplus 500+, and you replace the LNBF as described above, then: yes.
Dont think there is any situation where the DishNet LNBFs nor switches would be of any use.
Just the dish & mount.

Seems like a lot of work when there are probably easier solutions. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)