Can I merge OTA HD signal into Dish 1000 system coax?

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have a Dish 1000 setup with a VIP722 (w/ TV2 going out to another room) + two VIP612's.

It's all rg6 throughout, but with each receiver drop already being split once already for the DVR functionality, would an additional split be too much signal degradation?

Would it even work at all with all the bandwidth already on the line?

I believe there are 2 main rg6's coming off the dish that are split out to the receivers (and tv2 drop).

I know this kind of thing was commonly done in the "early" days before dvr's/hd/etc put what has to be an additional load on the coax...

I'm basically just trying to keep from having to run yet another drop of coax to each tv just for OTA HD.

Thanks-

The short answer is "Yes," but a lot of clarification is necessary.

The Dish 1000 has dual output Dish Pro Plus jacks capable of feeding up to two dual-tuner receivers such as your 722. If you have two more 612 receivers, then there is something you must not be telling us. (There is probably a DPP44 switch somewhere.)

The thing that splits a DPP coaxial cable to two tuners is called a "separator", not a slitter. Looks the same, but it's quite different inside.

The thing that combines RF with the DPP coax is called a "diplexer", which is neither a splitter nor a separator. They all look the same, but they're quite different inside. Unlike splitters or separators, diplexers are used in pairs; one injects the RF signal onto the DPP coax, while the other picks if off again.

You can use diplexers to feed signals in either direction on the cable. When the RF signal is going opposite to the direction of the dish DPP signal, it's called a backfeed. This is likely what is happening with your 722's TV2 output; it's being backfed up one of the cables to your TV2. In the forward direction, this is typically used to connct up an OTA antenna to the same (single) coax used for the dish antenna. (Hence the "Yes" answer above.) If you connect up an antenna at one end, and the TV2 output at the other, you are actually broadcasting the output of your TV2 out your antenna. Obviously that's not recommended.

Not unless they make a "high" "high" diplexer.
ie.-uhf and vhf, ultra high, and very high,,,
tv 2 off of 722 is UHF.
oTa= UHF!
run the line!
oh yea 1000k lnbf is three output, fourth is input,,, capable three (3) dual tuners... and wing dish...
nothing is being broadcast by connecting antenna&t.v.2,, you would need a transmitter for that,,, nice try.

Not unless they make a "high" "high" diplexer.
ie.-uhf and vhf, ultra high, and very high,,,
tv 2 off of 722 is UHF.
oTa= UHF!
run the line!
oh yea 1000k lnbf is three output, fourth is input,,, capable three (3) dual tuners... and wing dish...
nothing is being broadcast by connecting antenna&t.v.2,, you would need a transmitter for that,,, nice try.

Actually, TheKrell is correct. The modulator in the receiver is the "transmitter" in this case. Not to worry as you would have to be very close to the OTA antenna to get anything, although I do beleive that hooking it up in this manner does violate some FCC rules. You don't need a "high, high diplexer, just use two splitters at each end of the diplexers VHF/UHF side, one as a combiner in the attic, the other at the receiver.

Actually, TheKrell is correct. The modulator in the receiver is the "transmitter" in this case. Not to worry as you would have to be very close to the OTA antenna to get anything, although I do beleive that hooking it up in this manner does violate some FCC rules. You don't need a "high, high diplexer, just use two splitters at each end of the diplexers VHF/UHF side, one as a combiner in the attic, the other at the receiver.

FWIW, I did have success with this method - but the OTA signal degradation hit was just too much. Maybe if I'd implemented some boosters or all my channels were near 100% it'd have been alright. But unfortunately I took about a 20% hit (knocking some channels out completely) from all the splits.

But it was possible.. just not exactly practical :)

I said to heck with it and ran more coax :)

thanks anyway-

FWIW, I did have success with this method - but the OTA signal degradation hit was just too much. Maybe if I'd implemented some boosters or all my channels were near 100% it'd have been alright. But unfortunately I took about a 20% hit (knocking some channels out completely) from all the splits.

But it was possible.. just not exactly practical :)

I said to heck with it and ran more coax :)

thanks anyway-

I most definitely recommend using a signal amp of at least +10dB before anything else in the system if you plan to use this route. Not only does it help with signal loss in the splitters/diplexers/etc, it also prevents TV2 bleed out the antenna, as a signal amp rejects outward flowing signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)