Can I self install Genie ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

c5auto

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I have had "D" for about 2 1/2 years, so should be eligible for an upgrade if I do another 2 yr contract.
I currently have:
HR24 (1)
H24 (2)
4 tvs in different rooms (1 is linked to an H24 in another room)
Swim - 4 port
Decca box/ Whole home DVR using my DSL/ wireless network.
I only have 1 dish (oval shape).

I want to go with Genie (HR44) and GenieGo for an iPad. I assume I'll need a Genie Mini for each TV

So, do I have everything I need to order/ install myself. Is the 4 port Swim sufficient?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

It depends on if you want to swap your receivers or replace them. If you want to swap the hr24 for the genie and swap the 2 h24s then you have everything you need just hook up the boxes, force a download on the genie, activate the genie then 2 clients (in that order) then pair the clients.

If you are looking to add a genie to your existing setup and not replace anything, you will need a new lnb, 4 total lines coming down from the dish and a swm 16. DirecTV will require this to be installed by a tech.

The basic rule of thumb is you have a limit of 8 tuners with your current setup. The genie will take 5, your current dvr takes 2, and each h24 take 1. So basic math will tell you whether your under 8 or not in whatever combination you choose.

Personally I would recommend you SWAP RELOCATE the Genie with the HR24, moving the HR24 to a room where the second most viewing takes place and return one of the h24s. This would be 5+2+1 = 8 and work just fine with your existing setup.

Example Genie in Living Room, Current DVR in M Bed, HD in Bed2. This setup should cost you the same as getting the genie installed with two clients (or less) and you get to keep all your existing recordings and not exceed 8 tuners.

As a follow up while the Genie can be self installed, as a tech I personally find that to be a pretty bad idea as I cant count the amount of service calls or upgrades that are basically failed self installs. But it seems you have a good knowledge of whats going on with your system. So Kitty gives his blessing ^..^

As a follow up while the Genie can be self installed, as a tech I personally find that to be a pretty bad idea as I cant count the amount of service calls or upgrades that are basically failed self installs. But it seems you have a good knowledge of whats going on with your system. So Kitty gives his blessing ^..^
OK,you've intrigued me on the difficulties of self-installing the Genie. My situation is that I have 1 HR22,1 HR23,1 HR24,1 H25,& 1 H24 with a CCK-W. Say I exchange my HR22,HR23,& H24 for 1 HR34/44 Genie & 2 C31/41 Clients,before "self-installing" my Genie,would it be advisable to unplug my HR24 & H25 before powering up the Genie for the first time? Also,doesn't the Genie automatically download the newest software when you first turn it on before you have to get it activated(you mentioned forcing a download on the Genie before activating it)? Afterwards activate each Client(do you have to call DTV to do that like you would with the Genie or any other DVR/receiver?),then plug the HR24 & H25 back in to power up?

OK,you've intrigued me on the difficulties of self-installing the Genie. My situation is that I have 1 HR22,1 HR23,1 HR24,1 H25,& 1 H24 with a CCK-W. Say I exchange my HR22,HR23,& H24 for 1 HR34/44 Genie & 2 C31/41 Clients,before "self-installing" my Genie,would it be advisable to unplug my HR24 & H25 before powering up the Genie for the first time? Also,doesn't the Genie automatically download the newest software when you first turn it on before you have to get it activated(you mentioned forcing a download on the Genie before activating it)? Afterwards activate each Client(do you have to call DTV to do that like you would with the Genie or any other DVR/receiver?),then plug the HR24 & H25 back in to power up?

You wouldn't need to power down any receivers as long as you stay within the 8 tuner limit. As for the download, you HAVE to force a download, they don't automatically do it. If you don't do the download the clients won't link up with the server. When you activate the genie you'll then need to get the PIN number for the 2 clients and after putting them in (while you're still on the phone) you'll need to give the CSR the series numbers off the clients so they can be activated

Thanks, very helpful. I agree with your suggestion about a tech install, otherwise any problem that occurs would be my fault.
Question - what are my options for the tv I have in the kitchen, which is somehow linked with the H24 in the basement. Would I have to pay for another Genie client to attach to it?

Thanks, very helpful. I agree with your suggestion about a tech install, otherwise any problem that occurs would be my fault.
Question - what are my options for the tv I have in the kitchen, which is somehow linked with the H24 in the basement. Would I have to pay for another Genie client to attach to it?

You could always set it up as a mirror like you currently have already.

You wouldn't need to power down any receivers as long as you stay within the 8 tuner limit. As for the download, you HAVE to force a download, they don't automatically do it. If you don't do the download the clients won't link up with the server. When you activate the genie you'll then need to get the PIN number for the 2 clients and after putting them in (while you're still on the phone) you'll need to give the CSR the series numbers off the clients so they can be activated

I'll be honest,it sounds time comsuming hooking up the clients(doing one after the other) after activating the Genie,getting the PIN numbers,I imagine putting them into the Genie,then getting the series numbers,all while keeping the CSR on the line. I imagine that you are doing this for one Client,then repeating the whole process for the other one. What do you talk about(with the CSR) while doing this knowing there will be some lag time?

I'll be honest,it sounds time comsuming hooking up the clients(doing one after the other) after activating the Genie,getting the PIN numbers,I imagine putting them into the Genie,then getting the series numbers,all while keeping the CSR on the line. I imagine that you are doing this for one Client,then repeating the whole process for the other one. What do you talk about(with the CSR) while doing this knowing there will be some lag time?

I don't talk to them. I use my handheld to do all the activating and deactivating.

If at the time of a new customer install (HR-44 + 3 @ C31s + 2 H25s) I decide I want to switch one of the H25s for an HD-DVR, is that something the installer can do?

Not if he doesn't have one with him, or not enough to fill his orders and your change order. Let them know ahead of time.

If at the time of a new customer install (HR-44 + 3 @ C31s + 2 H25s) I decide I want to switch one of the H25s for an HD-DVR, is that something the installer can do?

When is the installer coming? He can only install what is on the work order. If you do want a HD DVR,you should call the CSR & see if you can change out one of the HD receivers for a HD DVR. Then,as long as it is on the work order,he should bring a HD DVR with him(could be any model HD DVR,HR20,HR21,HR22,HR23,or HR24) & take back with him one of the HD receivers.

I have heard of installers changing work orders at the time of install, but it seems rare. Like I mentioned, if he doesn't have enough, it doesn't matter even if he is willing.

I talked with a csr in NC and he advised me to let the install go per the work order. Although he said he could change the work order, one, it might delay the install and second he'd have to charge me full price for the HD-DVR (minus credit for the H25) but if I waited and called in after the install, there's a good chance they could rma me a swap and discount it too.

I talked with a csr in NC and he advised me to let the install go per the work order. Although he said he could change the work order, one, it might delay the install and second he'd have to charge me full price for the HD-DVR (minus credit for the H25) but if I waited and called in after the install, there's a good chance they could rma me a swap and discount it too.

Doubtful. You're better off having the tech swap the order if you're not gonna do it via a CSR. If you wait until after install they'll more than likely charge you full price without credit for the 25

Your chances of a free swap after the install are close to nil....

Your chances of a free swap after the install are close to nil....

First installer didn't bring it but he never finished the install (another thread). Second installer did bring it and installed it but wouldn't take the H25 back. So I did get a free HD-DVR and as yet they haven't taken my H25 back either - even after I reminded them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts