Can not drop locals from package?

SatboyZ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Pardon me if this has been discussed before but I could not find it doing a search. Currently have Buffalo locals in our package (that are almost impossible to receive in HD - as mentioned in other threads) and I would like to drop them. When I log in to my account there is no option to drop them that I can see. I am looking at supplementing our service with ShawDirect and do not need 2 east coast network feeds.

Thanks - I hope that it is not just me and somewhere I can change this.

Steve

Okay but a while ago you could...

You had the option (with a check box) of opting out of the locals, which cost $5.99.

I guess I got my answer though.

Steve

Hey Steve,
Yes, they removed the option to opt out of locals I think around the same time as the free hd for life.
As an aside... good gravy man, not Shaw Direct.... Are you considering a PVR through them? I'd suggest a rethink here... I had the 530 dvr which records one show at a time. Their having tons of issues with the new 630's and beyond that, the picture quality is horrid. TONS of macroblocking on all hd channels. After getting my new dish network setup, I couldn't stand watching Shaw because of the poor pq. They claim it's 1080, then compress the holy heck out of it. Bell, with their issues is really no better, IMO... at least they have decent receivers... ;) BTW my tv is a 50" sony... Dishnet and blue ray look amazing on it....
Hope you find a good solution :)
PS. You won't get Buffalo locals from Shaw either... Fox is Rochester, the other three are Detroit.
If you're having issues with signal on the Buffalo spot beam, perhaps a 'moving' would be a better solution... or a larger dish...

Last edited:
Pardon me if this has been discussed before but I could not find it doing a search. Currently have Buffalo locals in our package (that are almost impossible to receive in HD - as mentioned in other threads) and I would like to drop them. When I log in to my account there is no option to drop them that I can see. I am looking at supplementing our service with ShawDirect and do not need 2 east coast network feeds.

Thanks - I hope that it is not just me and somewhere I can change this.

Steve
Hi, I did not see the other post on why it is hard to receive the Buffalo locals - is it a LOS issue or do you have low signal quality due to a spot beam? If low signal quality have you looked into a bigger dish? Later, DC

the issue is Dish screwed up and put Buffalo on a spotbeam that barely covers Buffalo. Its the same spotbeam with DC, Philly, etc

Not to continue on this but...

1) As Ice states, it is a spotbeam issue and I have a decicated 20" dish on it now.
2) We have had a SD505 receiver(s) in the past and absolutely no problems with HD picture quality - I just did not want to pay two bills (we only watch HD locals on Digital Basic)
3) I was considering the 630 but will wait a little while since most of the problems seem to be from the guide data they are receiving.
4) I can get a 605 for almost nothing after rebates and it has to be at least as good as my 505, I hope. ( I will have to check this out)

And to end this...

Alas, I called DN yesterday because they sent me a letter that I was not getting "all" of the channels I could because of my dish configuration. After a long protracted discussion where I mentioned that a tech was not required as I had installed a 1000.2 and a wing dish on 61.5 myself.
He checked his records and there will be no changing over of the HD local DMA for Buffalo until the new satellite launches next year. :(

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts