Can the Edison reciever add new video codecs like VVC?

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
From looking of VCC video codecs that supposed to be better 50% improvement over HEVC.

Can this new codecs software be downloaded just in case some satellite broadcasters decided to use the video formats?

Maybe for future TANP 4.2?:hungry

Thanks!:hatsoff

Reactions: FTA4PA
Resembles my question over at legit. The NASA UHD channel won't display anything but a single frame before it freezes. Audio is fine.
Replies are that it's the Broadcom chipset limitation. Not surprising because....how old is it?
But VLC and other media players do fine when streamed from the box.

And my question is why isn't there a VLC media player plugin to handle it.
Hardware decoding, software decoding, gstreamer....I'm not the best of smarts understanding it all. But I have a handle.
Someone mentioned perhaps 'stream relay'. Most mentioned the chipset limitations. Others, 'wait and see'.

Don't get me wrong. I like my mio and I did do a little web shopping for alternate, better, less dated chipset receivers. For 1 or 2 channels. Looks like VLC for now.

And my question is why isn't there a VLC media player plugin to handle it.

If the hardware chipset can't handle it, then a VLC plugin couldn't handle it either, correct? In this case, I wouldn't think software could overcome a hardware limitation, in the same way a plug-in couldn't enable the Mio to output 4:2:2 video (natively). I think.

When you decode NASA UHD on your PC, it's doing the work, you're simply "hosing out" the feed from the Mio :)

Is it using a different kind of modulation now?
I don't know, as the sat it's on now is blocked to me.

Here's a snap I took back then, from 101w:
rj8MMTk.jpg

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If the hardware chipset can't handle it, then a VLC plugin couldn't handle it either, correct? In this case, I wouldn't think software could overcome a hardware limitation, in the same way a plug-in couldn't enable the Mio to output 4:2:2 video (natively). I think.

When you decode NASA UHD on your PC, it's doing the work, you're simply "hosing out" the feed from the Mio :)
Difficult to understand. Just a why thing I guess. If you can't watch these channels on the box but you can send them out over Ethernet and even a crappy pc with the right software and codecs can. I'm guessing one way the video/audio gets piped out over HDMI to the TV. And if the Broadcom chipset can't do 10 bit or 4:2:2 through HDMI.
Whatever gets sent out over LAN can get formatted with an external device.
Now. Most of us know that these receivers can do things inside with software that they normally can't or don't natively.
Wondering why a crafty programmer couldn't figure out a man-in-the middle linux library to massage the signal and even if downscaled, blow it out HDMI.
Crazy stuff.

Can the Mio playback current NASA UHD recording via VLC? I won't have time to look at this myself until the weekend.

FYI... The OS Mio 4K models chipset is supposed to support HEVC 10bit. I have been working with the Edision engineers on the NASA UHD decoding issue. Fortunately for testing purposes, NASA also changed the format for Europe distribution. The Edision engineers are able to use live feeds to test, instead of sending TS files as with past testing.

I have several different 4K video samples saved on the Seagate HD attached to the Mio. The only two that don't play are a NASA instant recording made on the Mio and the LG HDR NASA Demo. Both those do play fine on the PC. The rest of the samples I downloaded do play without problems. These screenshots are through OpenWebif.Mio4K_4K_samples_screenshot.jpgMio4K_LG_4K_Demo4.jpgMio4K_Samsung_4K_Demo.jpgMio4K_Samsung_4K_Demo2.jpg

I am in the same situation. My dreambox played Nasa UHD just fine up until about two months ago when they switched to 10bit. The specs for the dreambox 920 say it supports 10bit. So, who knows. Being these things are decoded by the VPU within the chip, I have never seen anyone (in satellite STB's) attempt to stop gap other codecs via software decoding. - I have only seen this on PC's where the CPU can sometimes be strong enough to be able to software decode these complex codecs.

I decided not to stress over this, because it appears 4K is all but dead on Satellite these days. Came and went quick because of IP streaming. I found a good work a round. I have a cheap china made KODI box that cost me about 35.00 shipped. It handles the HEVC 10bit codecs (NASA 4K) stream flawlessly. I added a M3U file on my KODI that initiates a stream of the NASA 4K channel. So, i just tune to NASA, and then click the NASA M3U link on my KODI and my dreambox streams it to the KODI and it plays on my TV without incident.

I will also tell you that when they install KODI/VLC within the satellite receivers, they typically do NOT add any additional codecs, so you are still limited to the codecs that the hardware within the STB support, so adding KODI/VLC software to the receiver does not usually solve that problem. I have attempted this scenario in two situations, and both times, the VLC or KODI installed on the satellite receiver did not allow me to watch anything additional. - Why? They utilize the same hardware VPU and thus have the exact same limitations you are trying to subvert.

I am in the same situation. My dreambox played Nasa UHD just fine up until about two months ago when they switched to 10bit. The specs for the dreambox 920 say it supports 10bit. So, who knows. Being these things are decoded by the VPU within the chip, I have never seen anyone (in satellite STB's) attempt to stop gap other codecs via software decoding. - I have only seen this on PC's where the CPU can sometimes be strong enough to be able to software decode these complex codecs.

I decided not to stress over this, because it appears 4K is all but dead on Satellite these days. Came and went quick because of IP streaming. I found a good work a round. I have a cheap china made KODI box that cost me about 35.00 shipped. It handles the HEVC 10bit codecs (NASA 4K) stream flawlessly. I added a M3U file on my KODI that initiates a stream of the NASA 4K channel. So, i just tune to NASA, and then click the NASA M3U link on my KODI and my dreambox streams it to the KODI and it plays on my TV without incident.

I will also tell you that when they install KODI/VLC within the satellite receivers, they typically do NOT add any additional codecs, so you are still limited to the codecs that the hardware within the STB support, so adding KODI/VLC software to the receiver does not usually solve that problem. I have attempted this scenario in two situations, and both times, the VLC or KODI installed on the satellite receiver did not allow me to watch anything additional. - Why? They utilize the same hardware VPU and thus have the exact same limitations you are trying to subvert.
May have to try that on my chromecast dongle as it has kodi app available.

Is it possible to install an additional codec or decoder to allow software playback of recording?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts