Can the Edison reciever add new video codecs like VVC?

Just a little off topic here, as this thread is about Edision, but also discussing NASA UHD and i just found out i have 1 receiver that still works with NASA UHD to my surprise. Its called a U5 PVR Deluxe, (Android) and i decided to try out NASA UHD today and it works great. I looked at the specs and it said it does 10 bit so i thought what the heck, and tried it. Here is a couple of screenshots taken just now. Mods please move this post if it is too off topic.

Attachments

• screen-20220317-160921.jpg
    screen-20220317-160921.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 147
  • screen-20220317-161116.jpg
    screen-20220317-161116.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 146
The NASA 4k feed appears to have cleaned up. On the edison it is playing fine now…at least for me. Under Setup, System, AV settings make sure you tick to allow 10 bit and 12 bit and it should play with no freezing.

Currently using OpenPli with latest build.

NASA fixed up there signal... Its playing again on my STB!!!! without any modifications... :clapping

I also noticed, it is still 10 bit. So, they must have had some weird format to it that just created a compatibility issue.

3840x2160p 1.78ar 59.940 FPS
10-Bit YUV420

Last edited:
Didn't dial it back, just changed some parameters. I understand that several engineers reviewed with the NASA uplink team why STBs were not able to decode. Occasionally, conversations bring about change.
Well if this ain't 'dialing it back' then what would a person call it?
Reddit:

UPDATE: 3 Mar 2022, NASA has reverted to standard 8-bit luma+chroma on the UHD satellite feed, after reports of some compatibility issues with 10-bit formats. We are still converting to a 10-bit format for the 30 fps stream to allow for best-case decoder performance and visual quality. Since most folks are using software players on the web, we enjoy broad main10 profile support, in contrast to 'hardware' decoders which often do not. NASA TV folks advised us to keep an eye out for updated and new segments being aired soon. Hopefully more folks who enjoy this stream can send emails to NASA TV folks and thank them for their work on creating and managing good content for the UHD channel. We've also added a handy, 1080/HD scaled flavor of the 30 fps stream, with a handy HTML5 player & Chromecast support.

Well if this ain't 'dialing it back' then what would a person call it?
Reddit:

UPDATE: 3 Mar 2022, NASA has reverted to standard 8-bit luma+chroma on the UHD satellite feed, after reports of some compatibility issues with 10-bit formats. We are still converting to a 10-bit format for the 30 fps stream to allow for best-case decoder performance and visual quality. Since most folks are using software players on the web, we enjoy broad main10 profile support, in contrast to 'hardware' decoders which often do not. NASA TV folks advised us to keep an eye out for updated and new segments being aired soon. Hopefully more folks who enjoy this stream can send emails to NASA TV folks and thank them for their work on creating and managing good content for the UHD channel. We've also added a handy, 1080/HD scaled flavor of the 30 fps stream, with a handy HTML5 player & Chromecast support.
Sorry, my contacts with a settop dev team that was working with NASA on this matter had advised that the UHD service remained 10bit, but with a modification to the parameter. I have not monitored the feed myself to confirm if it iis currently 8 or 10bit / 30 or 60FPS.

Sorry, my contacts with a settop dev team that was working with NASA on this matter had advised that the UHD service remained 10bit, but with a modification to the parameter. I have not monitored the feed myself to confirm if it iis currently 8 or 10bit / 30 or 60FPS.

When i stream it to KODI, KODI info tells me the signal is 10bit and 59.940 FPS (60 FPS) , so that would confirm with what Titanium has stated..

Reactions: mr3p and Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)