Streaming from the Edision with VLC

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Since I managed to start Open WebIF in the Edision I decided to see about streaming the elusive 4:2:2 ABC/CBS channels. I managed to stumble right into it. :) Here's what I did. Started "Open WebIF" by entering the IP address of the Edision in my browser (chrome).

OpenWebIFanotated.jpg

Now since the Edision was turned off at the time, I turned it on with the on-off switch.
The current channel was displayed in the upper left.
I clicked on the Satellite tab, selected the drop down list of channels for the 99W sat and selected the ABC channel I wanted to view.

WebIFdownloadM3u8anotated.jpg

I hit the Stream link button on the upper left and downloaded the m3u8 stream file. (lower left)

I closed my browser with Open WebIF, went to the download folder and opened the m3u8 file with VLC

VLCstream.jpg

:)

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Or click the TV icon beside the service name to live steam and keep WebIF open to change channels. :)
Either I'm not understanding this or it doesn't work for me. I was thinking you could do that at first but couldn't figure that out. When I click the TV icon it downloads a m3u8 file, nothing else.

Arion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 23, 2005
IIRC take that file path name and copy it and then in VLC go into the media drop down to 'Open Network Stream' and paste that path into the box and it should start to play back.

M3U
M3U is a computer file format for a multimedia playlist. One common use of the M3U file format is creating a single-entry playlist file pointing to a stream on the Internet.Wikipedia
Filename extensions:m3u.m3u8

Titanium

AI6US
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Right click on the file download and select to always open. This will automatically launch the media player when the TV icon is clicked.
Either I'm not understanding this or it doesn't work for me. I was thinking you could do that at first but couldn't figure that out. When I click the TV icon it downloads a m3u8 file, nothing else.

N0QBH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 13, 2006
Central MN
Is there a prefered place to download VLC? Or alternatives others prefer?
It looks like a useful application here.

N0QBH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 13, 2006
Central MN
Thanks! This is cool!
Can someone point me to a thread explaining why streaming "the elusive 4:2:2 ABC/CBS channels" works?

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I noticed after using Open Webif for streaming the channel selection switches from video to radio channels. Had me going for a few. I thought I had wiped my channel list out somehow.

Reactions: Titanium and raydio

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
The .m3u files can be stored on your desktop and next time just clicked to launch the channel.

For extra points... in VLC find the Playback > Renderer menu and you'll find Chromecast devices on your home network so you can cast whatever channel is playing in VLC to a TV. This is useful for feeds like ABC and CBS and for any TV that your satellite receiver isn't directly connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)