Can you see program info with OTA HD Antenna?

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Looking to cancel the $5 locals since I have my OTA HD Antenna, but am wondering if I will still be able to see "NFL Football, Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears" in the program guide so I could tape it.

I have a vip622 in living rooma and vip612 in bedroom. Both receiving HD locals through the OTA antenna.

Thanks,

pfan

guy at DISH CS said I would be able to, but you know how reliable they can be sometimes. I was looking to save a buck, but the guide info is pretty necessary.

I have a ViP 211 and not a DVR, but I simply obtain program info from another source (zap2it, newspaper listings, etc.) and set manual timers to record to my DVD/HDD recorder.

I haven't had any trouble.

Remember with a DVR or soon HDD on non-DVR, OTA signals will require about twice the storage space of Dish HD--1080i/720p MPEG-2 vs. 720p MPEG-4.
-Ken

Not only do you have to subscribe to locals, but the local needs to be carried by dish for you to get guide info. I can pick up WCDC on Mt Greylock, which is a clone of WTEN, but the guide information says only digital service, because WCDC is not carried by dish, even through the programming is identical to WTEN (same station/ just a very powerful repeater). I get no guide info for our local ION station, because dish does not carry.

edit - I should have said the .1 signal. If dish carries the main singal, they will often provide guide info for the digital subchannels of that same station.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if using an ethernet connection, you could have the receiver fetch guide data from an online source. :)

Looking to cancel the $5 locals since I have my OTA HD Antenna, but am wondering if I will still be able to see "NFL Football, Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears" in the program guide so I could tape it.

I have a vip622 in living rooma and vip612 in bedroom. Both receiving HD locals through the OTA antenna.

Thanks,

pfan

Get DVR advantage. A couple of bucks less and locals and one DVR fee are included!!

Kab, I do have the DVR Advantage. I am looking into getting the GOLD HD to lower my bill because I do not watch non HD channels.

pfan

Kab, I do have the DVR Advantage. I am looking into getting the GOLD HD to lower my bill because I do not watch non HD channels.

pfan
Until you get your HD locals through Dish, it's worth every penny to have the OTA's in your guide.

It looks like dish is filtering local ota program data out from the OTA tuner. I have 2 other OTA set top boxes and I see program information, on the 622 I see nothing. At one point i was getting this on my 811 but not with the 211. I don't mind not see the full programming guide but don't remove ota information because your trying suck another $5.00 when I paying $122.00 a month as it is.

It looks like dish is filtering local ota program data out from the OTA tuner. I have 2 other OTA set top boxes and I see program information, on the 622 I see nothing. At one point i was getting this on my 811 but not with the 211. I don't mind not see the full programming guide but don't remove ota information because your trying suck another $5.00 when I paying $122.00 a month as it is.

811 doesn't use the guide from the stations either it just does not require subscription to use the dish guide info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)