Canadian Channels?

drew2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I have a kind of odd question but: I noticed that E* shows the CBC, TSN, & Rogers Sportsnet (which are Canadian channels) on the NHL Center Ice season ticket (for hockey games only). And I was wondering if E* also has package to be able to get some Canadian channels all the time? (I assume they would blackout hockey games unless you had NHL Center Ice, but thats not why I want CBC anyway) It would be nice to be able to get the CBC through E* (if thats something they can do).

At this time no.. Its something dealing with copyright laws between the us and canada that keeps us from viewing canadian programming... I personally would like to welcome some canadian programming too..

cbc

goaliebob99 said:
At this time no.. Its something dealing with copyright laws between the us and canada that keeps us from viewing canadian programming... I personally would like to welcome some canadian programming too..

i left dtv a couple of month's ago, when i left they was carrying cbc,
so this copyright this is just another dish excuise for not carrying
what customers want,and i can name a few,if it wasn't for the movies
on the 180 i myself would go back to dtv,there cheeper and you get stations
that dish don't want to give,like oxigen and cbc as well as others

CBC??? Did D* have a real CBC channel or just that news channel that carried news from everywhere?

cobra55 said:
i left dtv a couple of month's ago, when i left they was carrying cbc,
so this copyright this is just another dish excuise for not carrying
what customers want,and i can name a few,if it wasn't for the movies
on the 180 i myself would go back to dtv,there cheeper and you get stations
that dish don't want to give,like oxigen and cbc as well as others

It's not dish that makes the law's.. Its your congress men and women.. and the canadian goverment plays a big part into it.

the canadian government allows their satellite companies to have all the american hd channels. i think it is our laws making it difficult.

korsjs said:
the canadian government allows their satellite companies to have all the american hd channels. i think it is our laws making it difficult.

This is totally false. There is no way to get ESPN, ESPN2 or HBO HD amongst many other channels in Canada, unless subscribing to one of the US satellite providers.

The one channel I'd like to see is CBC on Dish/Direct, but since some of the progarmming that is on CBC is also on in the US, they'd have to black it out due to copyrights.

They could techically do it.. as they do with tvjapan.. They have it free for all for a few hours a day... then it goes red to subs only.. It would be nice to see dish and express vu merge as one company selling both products in both the us and canada with no border restrictions..

BrettTRay said:
why does express vu use dish network parts (receivers, dishes, lnbs, etc.)

VU is not the only company that does that. I have seen one company in Spain, Vía Digital, use E* receivers.

That is one nice thing about E* receivers being upgradable, they can load all types of firmware.

I have heard that other European satellite sompanies use E* receivers, just in very different looking cases.

Canadian Channels

I would realy like to see a CBC International Channel, just like TVE, from Spain. The TVE International does not show the programming that other channels would have the rights to in other countries.

They could also have a "Canada Channel" or "TV Canada" to show us all the CBC and CTV original programming. I'm not sure many Americans would like programs such as G-Spot and Corner Gas, buy at least, they could see them.

miguelaqui said:
They could also have a "Canada Channel" or "TV Canada" to show us all the ... CTV original programming.
All 3 of them? (Corner Gas, Degrassi, Instant Star) HAHAHA.
Actually, Nickoldean shows the last two already, so would object to any provider providing the CTV feed of them, as they have already paid money to CTV for exclusive U.S. distribution of them.
If any U.S. network was actually interesting in showing Corner Gas, then CTV would happily sell it to them, as it is, no one seems interested in it.

goaliebob99 said:

For whatever it's worth we so get some Canadian channels on basic cable here in Vermont. I don't watch them so couldn't tell you off hand what they are.

waltinvt said:
For whatever it's worth we so get some Canadian channels on basic cable here in Vermont. I don't watch them so couldn't tell you off hand what they are.

some cable companies near the border can carry Canadian channels. Most common is CBC.

Iceberg said:
some cable companies near the border can carry Canadian channels. Most common is CBC.

It actually can be a pretty good distance away from the border. My son goes to school in Bowling Green, Oh & they get CBC I believe on their cable system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)