Canadian satellite

They should have taken thought and consideration for Canadian snow bird goes south tto get warm and Americans likes to see what's going on in Canada and learn and enjoy their culture.
I agree, too bad US providers generally don't carry Canadian networks, even as an option. Most border states do have Canadian networks (often locals from just north of the border) available via local cable systems etc, so there can't be a major legal hurtle in doing so.
There is likely a very small demand for these services though in the general US population.
With IP streaming though it should be available to most nowadays, even if you have to go through a VPN, which is not a huge deal.
I feel keeping Canadian content out of the US can lead to an impression of a secretive society, which of course is not the case.

I have noted Mexican programming on local cable networks in the southern US states, not so much up north.

Reactions: N5XZS
I haven't been following this thread, but I dropped in to catch up on it. I did chuckle a bit though, since I'm sitting here in the US watching Season 14 of the "Heartland" TV series streaming on CBC GEM via VPN as I'm reading the posts. ;)

Reactions: N5XZS and Cham
As for the FCC getting into jurisdictional issues about decrypting Canadian signals.... they don't have to. And it's not something they care about. What they do care about is whether or not the equipment you use to receive those signals, is "FCC Approved". The reverse holds true for Canada. Industry Canada isn't worried about your subscription, they're worried about whether the equipment is "IC Approved".

There are very valid public safety reasons for this concern by both countries. And with the high frequency switching power supplies in so many things now, it's surprising how extensive the list is for equipment that requires IC or FCC approval.

Hair dryers, sewing machines, electric drills, doorbell transformers, light switches, smartphone chargers, power supplies, computing devices, washing machines, clothes dryers, fluorescent lights, LED lights, or garage door openers and more, just to get the list started.

Does the U.S. government confiscate hair dryers, smart phone charges, power supplies and computing devices when travelers enter the United States? Are foreign visitors detained or prosecuted for charging their smartphones, drying their hair, or using their laptop while in the United States? By their sheer numbers, these devices have the potential to create far more harmful interference than the handful of Canadian satellite receivers that may be in the United States at any given time.

Notably, my Shaw receiver, purchased in Canada, not only complies with Canadian ICES-003, it also bears a sticker with an FCC logo. It clearly states "This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules."

I'm still not sure how this always devolves into a back and forth about bureaucracy and international affairs.

How about - "Check the sat footprint!" and save 3 pages of opinions?

This all has to do with licensing agreements, when Canadian Networks buy a TV program they only buy the rights for that show/movie for distribution within Canada, they are not permitted to distribute it outside of Canada, same goes for US networks.

This is how studio's make their money, by licensing their shows/Movies to different networks around the world, each network would be granted the distribution rights within their respective country. So this is Dish subscriptions are not sold in Canada and Shaw TV subs in the US.

Bell shunk their Satellites footprint, as Bell Canada owns a majority of TV Networks and Shows/Movie righrs in Canada, and also to help combat Piracy.

There may be a lot reasons, some we are not aware of or privy to, however the OP asked if he can get Canadian Satellite from OK.

I posted about the footprint and gave the list of channels they CAN get.
Others posted reasons why the man is trying to keep him down. First fill out a twenty-seven B stroke six, then check the sat footprint - that's the answer.

Seriously, when was the last time a back-and-forth about why Directv doesn't work in most of Canada took 3 pages, or why Mexican beams don't work in most of Canada, or Caribbean sats don't work in most of Canada. Why only when a new(ish) Canadian sat doesn't work in the US does it spill into a complex debate over governmental filings?

Perhaps an additional PIT needs to be added where you guys compare paperwork.