CANAM Satellites

SatBoyz. Are you in the U.S. or Canada? And if you're in the U.S., I would certainly love to know how you went about acquiring and setting up your account. I fear a lot of us are going to need that guidance pretty soon. Thanks for any information you can discretely provide.

SatBoyz. Are you in the U.S. or Canada? And if you're in the U.S., I would certainly love to know how you went about acquiring and setting up your account. I fear a lot of us are going to need that guidance pretty soon. Thanks for any information you can discretely provide.
There are a couple of different ways.
If you have a relative or friend in Canada, that's the easiest. I use my in-laws cottage for mine.

Or if you live close to the border, get a P.O. Box in Canada.

A couple of questions ...

Has anyone successfully divorced CanAm, i.e. gotten control of their Bell account?
I'm wondering if I have to scrap my current receiver and go with new gear with a
new broker. Of course, doing that last month might have been very different from
doing it now. This also assumes that other brokers would not be subject to this
issue - my personal speculation is that CanAm was just too observable, and may
just be an example to make e.g. U.S. rights holders happy with Bell.

Has anyone got thoughts about the possibility of searching for the court order?
Would it be sealed or not by default? I do wonder who would have initiated the
action and what the order says.

Would someone please PM me contact details for a good broker? I'm not quite
ready to pull the trigger, but ...

I'm more fortunate than some of you all - I got my new smart card about a
month ago and was able to activate it easily.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i live in cananda have expressvu and aloud to have four receivers to one account but only have one ,just out of curiosity must you have four rec activated with a broker?

Can Am DVR

I bought a new DVR $300.00 + can't actavate it. Is there another
Canadien Sat service . Can I sell this DVR (still in box) ?

i live in cananda have expressvu and aloud to have four receivers to one account but only have one ,just out of curiosity must you have four rec activated with a broker?

on broker accounts 2 receiver max..some only allow one due to EVu calling folks with multiple receivers on an account

Well, after weeks of getting the onscreen smart card expiration notice, my programming went away tonight 30 minutes into the CFL game I had to watch for work. Now, I guess I'm SOL.

Canam has my credit card for autopay. Since I never received a new card to exchange and have now lost programming, will my account with Bell via Canam be closed, or will charges start showing up now that my "rebate" period is over?

Just curious to know if I'll have to cancel future charges through my card company.

Well, after weeks of getting the onscreen smart card expiration notice, my programming went away tonight 30 minutes into the CFL game I had to watch for work. Now, I guess I'm SOL.

Canam has my credit card for autopay. Since I never received a new card to exchange and have now lost programming, will my account with Bell via Canam be closed, or will charges start showing up now that my "rebate" period is over?

Just curious to know if I'll have to cancel future charges through my card company.

Cancel your card or Bell via Canam will keep hitting you up for programming you are no longer getting. Unless you can get through to Canam and cancel your account.

This is the down side to using a broker............been there :(

removed a couple posts

while receiving canadian tv in the us is grey area (and allowed here), account splitting (putting more than one box on an account and splitting the bill) is illegal and not condoned here.

My boxes thru my CanAm account went out last night also. Could be start of shut-offs for all of the "seized" accounts.

My programming went out as well, fortunately my mother-in-law sent me the new cards with some birthday presents she was sending to my sons, so popped the new cards in, went online to activate, and was all set.

Just got off the phone with Canam, and was told the info about the court order. I asked about my annual fee and was told nothing could be done to refund it since their records are sealed at this point. Also, I was told they could not/would not cancel the autopay they set up with Bell and that I would have to take care of it with my credit card company once the charges start showing up.

Does anyone know if this will ruin my standing with Bell? They have my credit card number, but do they have my name? If so, it'll be hard to open another account through another source once I cancel payment on the one Canam set up.

So mad I could spit!

Just got off the phone with Canam, and was told the info about the court order. I asked about my annual fee and was told nothing could be done to refund it since their records are sealed at this point. Also, I was told they could not/would not cancel the autopay they set up with Bell and that I would have to take care of it with my credit card company once the charges start showing up.

Does anyone know if this will ruin my standing with Bell? They have my credit card number, but do they have my name? If so, it'll be hard to open another account through another source once I cancel payment on the one Canam set up.

So mad I could spit!
Just call Bell and give them the receiver numbers, I'm sure they'll be happy to kill the account.
Bell probably has your name, but doubtfull they have any other info. Definitely don't have your address, so you wouldn't have the account in the first place.

I am going through a similar situation, however I am in Canada and am a DirecTV subscriber. Should I just call them up and let them know what the situation is/was, or should I just wait it out until the service is cut and then go through the CC company to ensure no payments are made once the service is cut?

Gone here too

Canam never sent me a new card, and my receiver is now only getting the free channels. Oh well- it was fun while it lasted. I'm going to have my CC company either reissue me a new card or block charges from them, whichever they prefer.

I'll be interested in getting a PM about other (more reliable) brokers- I can't convince my wife to budget a new install right now, but in the next few months it might be possible.

Robbie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)