Cannot pick up VHF stations... suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

deronrb

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Chicago
I was happily awaiting the switchover... Before the switchover, I was able to pick up all channels in Chicago except for CBS. After the switch, I now cannot pick up CBS or ABC (channels 2.1 (broadcasting on channel 12) and 7.1,.2,.3 (broadcasting on channel 7)). :confused: I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but I cannot figure out how to get them to come in better.

My zip is 60626. I live <9 mi from the broadcast towers for all stations. All UHF stations come in great. I've been using a Terk indoor antenna that claims:

Compact indoor antenna receives both UHF and VHF local HD reception of channels 2-69 for enjoying high-definition television programming without cable or satellite HDTV service; high back-to-front ratio rejects unwanted signals

I live in a first-floor condo and an outdoor antenna is not an option. If I extend the rabbit ears to various lengths and twist the antenna in various directions, I find sometimes I can SOMEWHAT get channel 2, other ways I can SOMEWHAT get channel 7. No one way can I pick up both, and when I twist it, I lose most of the UHF stations. I have done testing in various rooms, closer to the outside south-facing wall but still no luck. Is there a better antenna I should get to pick up the VHF along with the UHF?

You are indoors
You are on the first floor
You are close to broadcast towers where signal is strong
Your broadcast is subject to multipath interference.

Look at the multichannel news sources for broadcast. There was a report this morning on reception problems in downtown Chicago, especially with WLS ABC-7 in downtown.

WLS is asking the FCC for consideration on the issue.

Yes, I know...

You are indoors
You are on the first floor
You are close to broadcast towers where signal is strong
Your broadcast is subject to multipath interference.

Yes, boba, I mentioned some of these problems and I already know that I have a problem... hence I posted... So no suggestions to fix my problems?

Thanks, Jayn_J and Tower Guy. I'll take a look and see what I see!

Your problem is strictly "multipath"(ghosting). Try putting the VHF elements ALL THE WAY DOWN, crossed in an X behind the UHF element relative to the direction of the antennas.

This is what did it for me for a similar issue with ABC 12 here in Cincinnati. The signal was very strong and so was the "echo" causing multipath. Doing this cut down the signal strength enough for the automatic filtering on the Dish tuner to figure things out.

BTW I have an RCA amplified rabbit ear antenna on the ground floor of a ranch house on the opposite side from the transmission towers (local Cincinnati). This is the Dayton side of the house and now I can get all the Dayton locals as well as all the Cinti locals including the LP WOTH LD and the relatively weak WCVN Covington.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts