Can't turn off H3 receiver with remote anymore

Redwald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Since I got DISH service last year, I've been able to turn off the receiver with my 54.0 remote and it would also turn off my A/V receiver and TV using the HDMI-CED options on all three devices by just using the 54.0 remote power button, (which is very handy and have gotten used to).
Suddenly yesterday I'm getting this message when I hit the power button (see pic). After receiving message, if I let it alone the H3 will go into standby in a couple of minutes and the Dish screen saver will display but it will not turn off the A/V receiver or TV like it used to. I've tried all the combinations for HDMI options on both A/V receiver and TV with no luck.
Best I can do is use the other remotes to turn everything off manually and just let the H3 receiver do what ever it wants since I can't control its power with the remote anymore.

Maybe there was a software upgrade (I have U548) but sys info screen doesn't tell me when that was installed.

Anyone have the same problem or any solutions?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tried unpairing/re-pairing the remote, rebooting the receiver and also doing a factory partial reset (the one that doesn't erase your DVR stuff)

There must be something I'm overlooking....

IMG_MI6_20200419_134806.jpg

That's replacing the old 5-minute countdown before the receiver actually shuts off after you press the power button on a 54.x remote. Or perhaps through whatever circumstance you never saw that before. Regardless, it looks like it's not turning the TV off. Maybe that remote is going bad. One thing you can do is unpair it manually; Press Sat on the side until the Sat light comes on (I think it's blinking) then hold home and guide at the same time until it beeps in a descending tone. It takes about 10 seconds. I do this on every install now and at this point, I pull the batteries, then pop them back in. Press System Info in the Hopper itself, press sat and see if it pairs and where the remote info is (Maybe check this before you do anything) make sure the remote name (if it was set), model and transceiver software is showing.

If it pairs, go to Home\Home\Settings\Remote Control and see if the TV is paired or try to pair it again

Thanks for the reply HipKat.

I tried the Sat>Home-Guide procedure, I assume its a remote reset or something. It beeped just like you said. I went to the Diagnostics page for the remotes, hit SAT button to re-pair the remote and instead of saying the batteries were good, like they were a few minutes previous, it now shows batteries critical. So I replaced the batteries with new. But I'm still getting the message.

I also forgot to mention that, after turning off both the A/V receiver and TV then turning them back on while the H3 is in standby mode I get this new message (see pic) which is something else I've never seen before.

IMG_MI6_20200419_170807.jpg

I don't know what else to try at this point. Maybe keep playing with the HDMI settings some more. I have a feeling something in the H3 software changed the standby stuff.

I'll take the A/V receiver out of the chain next and see what I get.

That's the same message. The only way to turn off the Hopper fully when you have a 54 series remote is to press the power button on the front of the receiver. If you use the remote, it goes into a 5 minute countdown, which is the message you're seeing. One of the reasons for that is to give you 5 minutes to hit pause. Hit power on the remote to turn off the TV and give you 5 minutes to go to another room to find the show you were watching and pick up where you left off in the previous room.

I'd say your remote is shot. It happens, sadly. Dish should send you a new one

Good info, thanks.
Maybe there's a clue here about how fast the batteries seemed to die after I did the re-pairing.
I'll see if I can get a new remote and take it from there.

Good info, thanks.
Maybe there's a clue here about how fast the batteries seemed to die after I did the re-pairing.
I'll see if I can get a new remote and take it from there.
If the batteries are dying quickly, that points more to a defective remote. I've burned through a few myself here at home

Reactions: Redwald
I have the same problem. Support talked me through resetting the remote. That worked for a few days then the same problem again. Never did that before a few weeks ago. Only does that for one TV that I have ( I have eight). Frustrating since I must turn off the TV manually. This is for a 54 remote.

I have the same problem. Support talked me through resetting the remote. That worked for a few days then the same problem again. Never did that before a few weeks ago. Only does that for one TV that I have ( I have eight). Frustrating since I must turn off the TV manually. This is for a 54 remote.
Just for jeepers, go into your remote setup and make sure that your TV model hasn't changed. Home, Home, Settings, Remote, TV. You might try re-pairing the TV if it looks right.

That's the same message. The only way to turn off the Hopper fully when you have a 54 series remote is to press the power button on the front of the receiver. If you use the remote, it goes into a 5 minute countdown, which is the message you're seeing. One of the reasons for that is to give you 5 minutes to hit pause. Hit power on the remote to turn off the TV and give you 5 minutes to go to another room to find the show you were watching and pick up where you left off in the previous room.

I'd say your remote is shot. It happens, sadly. Dish should send you a new one
Right, and just in case some do not know, the way to pick up where you left off is to access the TV Status screen at the new location and then select the channel/program listed that you put in PAUSE (or even if not paused) and then select JOIN.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)