Captive Works 600S Premium Set up Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dirty Harry Callahan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Mount Juliet
After studying FTA for the last 6 months I have decided to take the plunge. I have purchased a 30" dish with a sg-2100 motor and Invcom QPH-031 from Sadoun, and am driving the it with a Captive Works 600S Premium. I have a couple of questions:

Reading and studying I have determined the AMC 3 is my south satellite which I should be trying to aim for.

I have hooked up all the LNB L's and C's to the 4x switch that came with the unit via RG-6. From there I have a single coax into the motor and from the motor I have a single coax connected to the CW 600S receiver. I have upgraded the S/W on the receiver with the most up to date via the CW website.

I believe my set up and dish is aimed correctly..... however I believe I do not have my settings correctly entered into the CW 600S. I would greatly appreciate anybody who could tell me what I should have my CW 600S aimed at and what the lnb settings and transponder codes should be on the setup screen so I can try to get this thing on arc. I am getting a 78 -80 on the Quality bar but a big fat 0 on a signal.

Thanks

Reading and studying I have determined the AMC 3 is my south satellite which I should be trying to aim for.
The true souoth satellite is the same as your longitude. So if you're at 87 degrees west then that would be correct

I have hooked up all the LNB L's and C's to the 4x switch that came with the unit via RG-6. From there I have a single coax into the motor and from the motor I have a single coax connected to the CW 600S receiver. I have upgraded the S/W on the receiver with the most up to date via the CW website.
You only need one cable from the L side and one from the C but for the time being, hook the cable directly to the L side of the LNB (dont use the switch right now)

I believe my set up and dish is aimed correctly..... however I believe I do not have my settings correctly entered into the CW 600S. I would greatly appreciate anybody who could tell me what I should have my CW 600S aimed at and what the lnb settings and transponder codes should be on the setup screen so I can try to get this thing on arc. I am getting a 78 -80 on the Quality bar but a big fat 0 on a signal.

Thanks
motor latitude is the same as your latitude
LNB LO is 10750 on the Captiveworks
As for a transponder, I would try one of the 2 following
11736 freq
V polarity
6104 symbol rate

or

H

Those are strong and will get you in the ballpark.

I believe I have it on arc now picking up signals on various satellites....thanks for the info........just have to figure out this LNB setup thing. and 4x1 switch. Any suggestions?

I like to use a 4 x 4 multiswitch on the Invacom QPH LNBF instead of DiSEqC switches. The 4 x 4 is a two way switch (either 22k tone on or off, which switches between either the (C)ircular or (L)inear side of the LNBF). It will give you four outputs which can be used to send the programming to up to four receivers.

Set it up this way: Run the (C)ircular outputs from the Invacom LNBF into the two '22k on' inputs on the 4 x 4 switch. Run the (L) outputs from the LNBF into the two '22k off' inputs on the switch. When you setup a circular satellite (such as Echo 7 at 119w for example) in your receiver, simply set the 22k option to 'on' in your setup menu. When you setup a linear satellite, keep the option to 'off' (usually default).

Looks like I am going shopping for a 4x4 switch. Any suggestions on how to optimize quality and signal strength on satellites on the "arc". My true south sat is coming in around 80 on the quality but my others are coming in around 30 to 60.

Guy's I really appreciate all the helpful advice you gave me for this project. Looks like it time set back and do some more reading (and playing) on the operation of my new toy. As soon as I figure out how to attach a picture I will post it to let y'all see what you helped put together.

(I hit the attach a picture icon and it tells me to input a http address)

Attachments

• Picture_007.jpg
    Picture_007.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited by a moderator:
If I might go slightly off topic I was wondering if your CW600S Premium has an audible signal for the antenna meter? I've been told that this receiver does have that feature and I've seen ads for the receiver that mention it, but I've never heard a peep or a beep out of mine and I've never seen anything about it on any of the menus.

Another thing I noticed on mine is that if you push the blue button on the remote, when you get to the screen that has the signal and quality meters, the readings will be transposed. The quality is always higher than the signal. I don't think that's correct.

Last edited:
If it does I have not figured it out or stumbled across it.

Do you have any trouble adding satellites to yours? When I try to ass satellites it will not let me enter the proper location. Example: I am trying to enter in Satmex 6 at 113W but the receiver does not let me safe it as W only E.

Mine does the same thing. I cannot enter W.

I was thinking of trying to use a download program like Channelmaster or whatever works for the 600 to see if I could do it that way.

Well ..........I thought it was just me not hitting the right buttons. I do not know what Channel master is ...will read up on it. Are there any other receivers that have this problem?

Thanks, Jay
She is posted on some schedule 40 1.5 inch pipe 4ft in the ground with concrete filling in the post and the vinyl sleve. Had some bad storms here the other night, the time spent getting it anchored paid off in both the setup and bad weather....did'nt move a mm.

Neighbors like it too.....

FYI, I inquired to Captive Works on the issue with not being able to enter in the "w" when entering in new sats....my reply was "We're aware of this issue. Apparently there is a bug in the firmware and our engineers are working on it so they can fix it in the next coming release"

Status
Please reply by conversation.