Cassel Traded to Chiefs

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Wow breaking news on NFL network, Cassel traded to the chiefs.

I guess KC was not that ready to go into next year with thigpen (was not his name), I still dont that Cassel will be the greatest thing, but wow did he hit the jackpot with his pay for this year. Not bad for a guy who has one season in the NFL

34th pick in the draft.

Good move by the Patriots, they do not want a 30 million dollar rookie that comes with a high pick in that locker room. Plus the now have 25 million dollars in cap room with Cassel and Vrabel off the books. Plus 5 picks in the first 89.:eek:

To bad the Lions didn't step up with the 21st pick in the draft, now we will probably pick Stifford:mad:

This is why some teams get it, Patriots and Chiefs, and others MY LIE-ONS and the Vikings don't.

34th pick in the draft.

Good move by the Patriots, they do not want a 30 million dollar rookie that comes with a high pick in that locker room. Plus the now have 25 million dollars in cap room with Cassel and Vrabel off the books. Plus 5 picks in the first 89.:eek:

To bad the Lions didn't step up with the 21st pick in the draft, now we will probably pick Stifford:mad:

This is why some teams get it, Patriots and Chiefs, and others MY LIE-ONS and the Vikings don't.

New England Patriots could have gotten more in Matt Cassel trade - Don Banks - SI.com

Bill Belichick likes Cassel enough to not send him to the Lions

Cassel did have a solid year this season but I think many are just thinking he is the next best thing. I could be wrong, but he had alot of weapons in NE. But my hats off to him, timing is everything, hope he continues to have sucess.

Though wow what a past year this has been for him, actually less then a year. From seldom used to almost cut backup to starting QB makin big tim dollars and again KC must have not thought to much I guess of Tigpen (spelled wrong)

I think Thigpen could still be kept as his backup, especially with Huard gone. Thigpen was thrown into the fire and helped keep the Chiefs close... only 2 wins last year but 7 losses were by a TD or less. They had to adjust the offense for him though, that's why we were running the spread. More time to prepare as a legit backup (vs the 3rd or 4th string as he was last year) and I think he'll be fine. I'm still not sure we'll keep Larry Johnson, but we'll see, he's lost his burst IMO.

The biggest thing Cassel has shown vs a fresh QB in the draft is the ability to play at this level. Some quarterbacks hit the NFL and splatter, and others hit the NFL and become Matt Ryan.

The Chiefs need to ensure the OL is good, and give Cassel some better targets to throw to... Bowe still developing and Gonzo may or may not be on the way out.

There's a bit to debate, for sure... Cassel the product of a system or a good quarterback? His success the result of the tools he had in New England or was it him that helped them get many of those wins?

One thing is for sure, if you're a team that needs a leader on defense, and a starting quarterback, and have an opportunity to pick Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel with your 2nd pick in the draft, you'd be rushing to the front of the room with that on your draft card.

One site reporting there are '2010 considerations' in the trade, so could see some more picks or something involved later. Incredible trade when you consider Sage was just dealt for a 4th, and Schaub last year was dealt for 2 2nd rounders.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Cutler upset over potential deals to Detroit, Tampa Bay

Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait. Once again, Denver debated the deal and opted against it apparently. What made it a moot point was that while all Tampa, Detroit and Denver engaged in trade talks with New Engalnd, the Patriots went ahead and dealt Cassel to the Chiefs.

Damn it! I would of of walked around for a week with a woody if the Lions could have acquired Cutler.

Oh well, it is never meant to be for the Lions. :(

Answer to meStevo: Cassell was a product of the system especially early in the season until he got his feet wet. Once he got more familiar w/playing they took the reins off and OH Baby did the talent come out! He was like a'Brady clone" when the pressure was on-terrific. Kevin O'connell is 6'5, 230 and a gun of an arm-he'll be real good.Also, Matt Guitteirez(sic) will also be a good qb-he's 6'5, 230 as well w/good arm. Pats are set for now. Bad trade if only a 2nd for those 2 players. Word is more pics to be worked out. Personally, I would have kept Cassell and TRADED BRADY! My friends think I'm nuts for this but you watch-Cassell will be great. Paul

Bad trade if only a 2nd for those 2 players. Word is more pics to be worked out.

I agree, but I think this might be more of a case of clearing cap space. Still, a high second round pick isn't bad.

I'll miss Vrabel a lot. Vrabel, Bruschi and Seymour have been the backbone of that defense for the last eight years.

Personally, I would have kept Cassell and TRADED BRADY! My friends think I'm nuts for this but you watch-Cassell will be great. Paul

Sorry, but NO WAY. Cassel couldn't carry a healthy Brady's jock. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything Matt did in '08, but I have a feeling he was more a product of the system. Having Moss and Welker to throw to didn't hurt either.

I also think that something BIG is brewing for the Pats after clearing all that cap room.

Ray-Ray Lewis????

I heard the possibility that MAYBE, New England could get K.C.'s high draft pick.

Bill, if the Pats get such a high pick, who would you take?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)