CBand pole source

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hello Mike,you got the right Ideal to the scrap yard/I got a friend looking for me a 2''pipe about 15'ft long.(2)7'ft or anything close.I can put em together/I have a welder.Anyway home depot and other stores want big bucks for 2''x10' long pipe.That the best place.I am using 3''x21' black pipe,That I got from my job.We are talking about back in late 1989.Ok I put 7'ft in the ground,and 14'ft in the air.To see over all of the garrages.Plus my radio shack 8'1/2'' dish was hh.I had to make sure it clear the roof.Those hh dish make a dip as they come a round.Its still standing with my 10'ft solid DH satellite.I have had this dish about 2 years no problem.My friend Ozzie made 1''pipe tie off to the roof(these are adjustable).To keep the pipe from flexing.No cement inside.So you did right,Try a scrap yard all of your used pipe needs.

jackpeas said:
Hello Mike,you got the right Ideal to the scrap yard/I got a friend looking for me a 2''pipe about 15'ft long.(2)7'ft or anything close.I can put em together/I have a welder.Anyway home depot and other stores want big bucks for 2''x10' long pipe.That the best place.I am using 3''x21' black pipe,That I got from my job.We are talking about back in late 1989.Ok I put 7'ft in the ground,and 14'ft in the air.To see over all of the garrages.Plus my radio shack 8'1/2'' dish was hh.I had to make sure it clear the roof.Those hh dish make a dip as they come a round.Its still standing with my 10'ft solid DH satellite.I have had this dish about 2 years no problem.My friend Ozzie made 1''pipe tie off to the roof(these are adjustable).To keep the pipe from flexing.No cement inside.So you did right,Try a scrap yard all of your used pipe needs.

Before going to the scrap yard, I checked around a couple plumbing supply places and they wanted $11 or $12 per foot for 3" sched. 40 pipe, and they only sold it in 21 foot lengths. I only needed about 10 feet, but would have wound up paying somwhere between $250 and $300 with delivery. Needless to say, the $35 I paid for the sched. 80 seemed quite reasonable. It's now been cleaned up, painted, and sunk in the ground. If it weren't for a weld, it would look new.

Incidentally, wasn't it kind of a bear getting that c-band dish 14' up on top of that pole? Not to mention digging the 7' hole.

I'm in the same situation really. I'm looking for a 3.5inch pipe stand. The differance being is that I need something with a plate at one end with mounting holes or in general something that can just be happy with all thread ran through it.

I wish I had some ground to sink it into, but I'm really left with just a flat roof on a commercial building. Patriot has some nice ones, but I would rather not pay for the cost of their equipment.

In the end, the bolts for the mount will be ran through a concrete roof and bolted down on the other side with some custom cut steel plates. (big square washers)

Any ideas (locally is not an option unless custom made... trying to avoid that cost)

cylix said:
I'm in the same situation really. I'm looking for a 3.5inch pipe stand. The differance being is that I need something with a plate at one end with mounting holes or in general something that can just be happy with all thread ran through it.

I wish I had some ground to sink it into, but I'm really left with just a flat roof on a commercial building. Patriot has some nice ones, but I would rather not pay for the cost of their equipment.

In the end, the bolts for the mount will be ran through a concrete roof and bolted down on the other side with some custom cut steel plates. (big square washers)

Any ideas (locally is not an option unless custom made... trying to avoid that cost)

I'm not sure I totally understand your requirements, but would it be possible to find the pole and plate separately at a scrap yard and then get a welding shop to weld them together for you? I wouldn't think that would get too expensive.

6" steel pipe needed for birdview

I need a piece of 6" in diameter by 10ft long steel pipe. This is going to be
used to mount 8.5ft birdview spun alum. dish. I have called all scrap yards and plumbing place in area and no luck. anybody know a source for this pipe?

thanks,
Russell

barney5 said:
used to mount 8.5ft birdview spun alum. dish. I have called all scrap yards and plumbing place in area and no luck. anybody know a source for this pipe?

thanks,
Russell

That's a big pipe. My spun aluminum dish is the same size and it only required a 3.5" OD pipe, which I think is somewhat standard. I'm not familiar with birdview dishes, but is there any chance you're mistaken on the size of the pipe?

I Measured it, it is 6" in diameter. The old pole had rusted out. It was old metal well casing. I hope someone has a source for this pipe. Thanks for all info.
Russell

Wow, once you get it on that pipe that dish isn't going anywhere. The only thought I'd have on a source would be to check with local drilling companies. Maybe they'd have some left over pipe they could sell.

I also think that is a misprint. My 10' dish rests on a 8' x 3.5" OD piece of sch steel pipe. 6" is way over spec and I would like to see the dish mount; is it custom made?

iammike said:
Found me a pipe at the scrap yard this afternoon. Picked up a 10.5 ft length of schedule 80 pipe for $35. Unless I'm mistaken, this thing ought to be more than sufficient to hold up an 8ft. dish. One word of warning to anyone planning to do the same. That pipe is heavy. I just looked up a formula for calculating the weight and found it's right around 131 pounds. I managed to carry it through the yard and out to my van solo, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably try to find a friend to go with me and help lift.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and advice!

Schedule 80 is about twice as thick as schdule 40 , probably 1-1/2 - 2 times heavier . But very strong .

And scrap yards around here sell it by the pound .

Wyr

barney5 said:

thanks,
Russell

Do not know where you are , but if you are close to the oil patch , try some oil field supply places , looking for used pipe .

Or call the local mechanical / plumbing contractors & see if they have any scrap that came off or a job , or if they will be taking any off of a job , in the near future .

It will be heavy !

Wyr

barney5 said:
I Measured it, it is 6" in diameter. The old pole had rusted out. It was old metal well casing. I hope someone has a source for this pipe. Thanks for all info.
Russell

Also contact water well drillers . But think they mostly go back with PVC ?

Wyr

found pole today

I went to all the weilding shop in town and found one that had 5" sch 40 steel pipe. I had a 1 ft piece 6" that came with satellite. The 6" pipe slipped over the 5. I had them weild it to it. This is a nice setup and it will never rust out like the orginal. The price of the 5" sch 40 steel was $8.75 per foot plus tax. The best thing to do when getting a birdview satellite is to have a weilder and cut the pole off at ground level, then weild piece to it for desired length. These usually have lots on cement holding them in, no way to dig them up without backhoe. i have got to upgrade feedhorn and reed sensor and i will be in business. Anyone got a picture of birdview logo for my repaint of dish? Any suggestion on upgrade to birdview dish will be appreciated.
I will post pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Russell

I found one

I have been looking for a pole, for over a month now. I found a 3 inch inside diameter pole (very thick) for $4.00 a foot, so i took 10 feet!! Welding places are good places to find one, i found mine just down the street, but looked everywhere.

Don't need no stinking pole. It's a 10 footer. Only need one bird.

Attachments

• BUD1.jpg
    BUD1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 186
I have your pole buddy

I have a couple of 10 foot schedule 80 poles 3.5 inch outside diameter not galvanized I would be happy to sell for $40. Near Green Bay Wi. They were unused 20 footers but had to be cut to fit in the dumpster. That was enough to make me cry. Hurry before the snow flies.

Ten years ago, I installed a dish on top of the USA Today building using a mast made of three pieces of 6" I.D. schedule 120 pipe. This was done on the first day that I worked for the now defunct, Peake Communications.

Unfortunately, the "engineers" who designed this mount made two errors. The first was, they actually thought that we could snug the three pieces together by tightening the nuts on the 3/4" bolts that went through them, which was ludicrous, but second, the 6" I.D. masting was ordered by someone who had measured the "can" on the dish (probably a Patriot 3.7 meter) and who had done a lot of electrical contracting but didn't realize that while electrical conduit size is determined by its outer diameter, water pipe is measured by its inner diameter.

We had to first bring the top length of mast back to the fabricator to have him weld a foot long extension onto the end of it, and then, after the assembly was completed (including a 25 floor "I" beam for lateral support) the welder had to come to the site and weld the three mast sections together so that they didn't wiggle.

Believe it or not, this was not the biggest fiasco involving that installation company. They once delivered a 30' dish to the top of a tall building using a helicopter. But they didn't have it dropped off on staging that could then be gradually lowered. They basically tried to get the pilot to hit a bullseye that would enable them to slide the pivot rod through the mount and the dish backplane hole.

They somehow succeeded. I have seen the photographs on the wall. But I can't imagine how. I also worked with them when they installed a 4.5 meter Andrew dish on the ABC news building on Decatur Street in downtown DC. When they told me where to stand to guide the dish as it was being raised by a crane from seven stories below, I told them that any idiot could see that the dish wasn't going to swing the way that they hoped and that the six of us would be unable to control it, and I refused to further assist them. About two minutes later, they smashed the edge of this $26,000, precision made reflector into the roof, without my participation.

I did do them one small favor after that. I called Andrew and ordered a gallon of touch-up paint so that the damage to the reflector wouldn't be quite so obvious. Andrew sells a touch-up kit for that dish that included a gallon of white paint, a little red paint to match that of their logo, and some silicone resin to glue the heater elements back on if necessary. The kit cost $600.

The happy ending to all of this is that they subsequently went bankrupt and I went into business for myself and picked up about half of their old customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)