CBS affiliates on FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark2074

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, ON
Has it even happened that a CBS affiliate ever went in the clear temporarily on Ku-Band? It seems to me that CBS is one tough cookie when it comes down to see anything in the clear from them. :rolleyes:

Yea, I know what you mean. The program directer of my local CBS affiliate denied me a wavier to receive CBS programming from an out of town station,
but he decides to pre-empt the Notre Dame -Tennessee game because he does not want to delay or cancel his local news. So what it boils down to is, he does not want me to watch CBS programs from an out of town station, but he does not want to provide me with CBS programs. Sounds like catch 22 to me. I did get to see the game on the Anchorage CBS affiliate. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Jim, is that to say you have a c-band dish in Tennessee? If that is the case why don't you get a VCII module and subscribe to PT24. I believe you can get WSEE-Erie with that package on AMC 3. On a good warm day when the wind blows from the south I can pick up WSEE 35 over-the-air. They follow CBS programming more than others.
I don't think your CBS affiliate could do anything about that.

No, I am in Indiana, The Boilermaker State. I am a Notre Dame fan, my son graduated from Purdue. So once a year I have to root against the Boilers. There are CBS stations in Indianapolis and Champaign, Il, but the weather has to be right to get them OTA. But yes, you are right, they can't do anything about that. Even when we had cable, if two programs were on a local station and the Indianapolis stations, it would be blacked out so you would have to watch the local. Example, MASH on at 7:00pm in Indianapolis and 11:00pm local, boom blacked out on the Indy station.

Yes, Pete you are right. C Band, AMC 7, the four majors networks plus UPN and PBS. Anchorage is 4 hours behind me (EST) but they air live games on the Eastern schedule. That suprised me, I figured they would tape them and show then at the scheduled Alaskan time zone slot. All other programming is shown at the scheduled time in Alaska, 4 hours behind Eastern. Makes it kinda tuff to stay up and watch RED GREEN at 1:30am after watching football and consuming adult beverages all day.

Mark, have you checked LyngSat lately? They've announced a lot of changes on G10R this week.

Hey Carload, you beat me to the punch.....I just noticed. I wonder how long it is going to stay :)

Pretty amazing

I don't know what's going on. My Twinhan 1020a DVB card is very picky and has issues locking to certain transpnders. Today I looked at Lyngsat and saw that the tp previously listed as 11799 is now 11800, also there was a slight change in the SR. I entered the new frequency and my card wouldn't lock anymore. Changed it back to 11799 and all channels were back. Amazing!
I don't know if I should trust Lyngsat or try to look somewhere else for the exact frequencies. Right now I can only watch the 2 TPs with lots of channels on G10R. None of the rest would scan, including the new CBS affiliate.
You guys with better receivers, can you verify the freq and SRs listed on Lyngsat for G10R for CBS? I'm starting to suspect that if enter the exact values I will be able to scan the missing tps.

Different receivers will perceive the same frequency differently. If one box's internal clock is a little faster than another, it might see 11800 as 11799 or vice versa. My frequency and signal rate numbers often differ just a bit from the LyngSat lists and the Global Communications lists, which often don't agree with each other either.

As you've done already, experiment to see what works, then use that.

Mark2074 said:
If that is the case why don't you get a VCII module and subscribe to PT24.

As I said, the program director of my local CBS affiliate has denied me a wavier to subscribe to PT 24. The only PT 24 station I can legally receive is ABC, since we don't have a local ABC affiliate.

Oh, I was under the impression that big dish subscribers didn't need a wavier from their local station to get PT 24. Sort of defeats the purpose of that when you can get the Anchorage affiliates. Although, they are 4 hours from your time zone. But, like you said, they carry live network programming.

Mark2074 said:
Oh, I was under the impression that big dish subscribers didn't need a wavier from their local station to get PT 24.

When I first got the big boy we did subscribe to PT24, then the networks sued and got an injunction that said you could subscribe if your local stations gave you a waiver. PT24 counter sued and won with the stipulation that if you had PT24 before the original suit you could keep receiving it without a wavier, but new subscribers would have to have one. The reason I don't subscribe is that before the law suit is you could get CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox for $60.00 a year, after the lawsuit it cost $60.00 per year for EACH netwtork. I told them what they could kiss. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I do subscribe to ABC without a waiver because we don't have a local affiliate, but I am going to let that go because they have FTA feeds on C band IA5.

BTW, what quality do you guys get for the CBS on G10R? I can't lock my Twinhan to it no matter what I try.
The info would be useful to me if you also post what he quality readings for the 11800 tp on the same sat for comparison.

CBS = 60 % Quality
11800 = 85 % Quality

Using Fortec Lifetime Ultra here in MN. with 30" Winegard dish!

PSB said:
CBS = 60 % Quality
11800 = 85 % Quality

Using Fortec Lifetime Ultra here in MN. with 30" Winegard dish!

That explains it. The CBS transponder is obviously too weak for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)