CBS' Jericho: A Familiar Story

Loved the show and it finally is making sense. It looks like this year will be better than last year. I do hope that they do tie up the loose ends and end the show with a good ending. I find one thing troubling. Why were so many people able to accept the new "Allied States of America " over the old U.S.A.? I would think there would be a lot of pissed off Americans who wouldn't stand for that. And the one thing that you have to really suspend disblief is that there is no fallout that has killed that many people. With over 23 American Cities nuked , you would think that the atmosphere would full of it and the skies would be gray and winterlike. Instead the skies are bluer than blue and people are jogging and growing crops with no problems.

Loved the show and it finally is making sense. It looks like this year will be better than last year. I do hope that they do tie up the loose ends and end the show with a good ending. I find one thing troubling. Why were so many people able to accept the new "Allied States of America " over the old U.S.A.? I would think there would be a lot of pissed off Americans who wouldn't stand for that. And the one thing that you have to really suspend disblief is that there is no fallout that has killed that many people. With over 23 American Cities nuked , you would think that the atmosphere would full of it and the skies would be gray and winterlike. Instead the skies are bluer than blue and people are jogging and growing crops with no problems.

I agree about the fallout. Very troubling aspect of the show.

I only saw the first 35 minutes...man, they filled in more holes in one episode than they did the entire first season.

Very true. Still there is too much side stories that do not quite integrate very well with the show's main story. I did not watch the last three episodes last year because i was so fed up with the side stories. I do not think I missed much since the first 2 minutes summed up the entire season!

I find one thing troubling. Why were so many people able to accept the new "Allied States of America " over the old U.S.A.? I would think there would be a lot of pissed off Americans who wouldn't stand for that.

The new government bailed them out. No more war with neighbors, they have law and order, and they have the lights back on. When you go from desparation, fighting for food cut off from the rest of the world to a possible government it will have a honeymoon period. But, of course they have started the story line that the government is evil and they have to show the world and save the world from itself.

And the one thing that you have to really suspend disblief is that there is no fallout that has killed that many people. With over 23 American Cities nuked , you would think that the atmosphere would full of it and the skies would be gray and winterlike. Instead the skies are bluer than blue and people are jogging and growing crops with no problems.

The show did specifically address this problem when they showed the fallout map. One reason Jericho was picked as the rally point was because it supposedly is in a clear area where the fallout wouldn't hit.

As for long term effects and debree, 23 nukes of the 10-15k ton range barely meet the impact of what one modern nuclear weapon is capable of, and we certainly didn't see the skies blacked out across the nation back when those were being tested. And ash from fires burning out of control in those cities likewise wouldn't be seen in Jericho for the same reasons as the fallout.

A little underwhelming, but not disastrous.

The best thing going for Jericho right now is that the pilot season was destroyed by the strike. Not a lot of new shows ready to replace Jericho, so they may renew it due to a lack of alternatives....

SyFy Portal

A little underwhelming, but not disastrous.

The best thing going for Jericho right now is that the pilot season was destroyed by the strike. Not a lot of new shows ready to replace Jericho, so they may renew it due to a lack of alternatives....

SyFy Portal
It's hard to say. Jericho got steam-rolled by American Idol...but everything gets steam-rolled by American Idol.

30 million other pairs of eyeballs a week watch it. Leaves less eyeballs for the rest of the TV channels.....

The Big Brother show isn't doing it any favors as a lead in either.

Unless CBS is desperate to keep Jericho for another year due to a lack of alternatives, this might be it and we get a wrapped up show over the next 5 weeks....

I liked last nights episode a lot, it has some good plot elements and some new stuff is coming out too. Looking good, just hope the ratings show the same.

Riff,

Why, American Karaoke BLOWS, can't stand it.

John
I can't it and don't watch it either (same for Reality TV), but the facts are the facts. With so little new material, thanks to the writers strike, you would think CBS would have picked a better time slot to air new episodes of Jericho. I get the impression CBS is wanting this show to die. Nuts to us, I suppose!

I liked last nights episode a lot, it has some good plot elements and some new stuff is coming out too. Looking good, just hope the ratings show the same.
I like this show...I really do, but there's has always been something about the show that annoyed me. I thought it was the writing. To some extent this was true, but I finally figure it out...it's the horrible acting of the main character Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich). I'm sorry, but this guy just plain sucks! Other than Mimi Clark (the IRS Agent/love interest with the annoying voice), the acting has been pretty good (Hawkins character has been solid). Is it me...or has been Jake Green stinking up the small screen?

I like this show...I really do, but there's has always been something about the show that annoyed me. I thought it was the writing. To some extent this was true, but I finally figure it out...it's the horrible acting of the main character Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich). I'm sorry, but this guy just plain sucks! Other than Mimi Clark (the IRS Agent/love interest with the annoying voice), the acting has been pretty good (Hawkins character has been solid). Is it me...or has been Jake Green stinking up the small screen?

I agree to a certain extent. He doesn't really have lead character written all over him but I think for the role he plays in the show, that works for him a bit.
I agree that the guy that plays Hawkins is real good though!

Isn't it amazing how fast they (the western states) are recovering from the effects of the EMP? Where did all the new cars, TV's and computers come from? All the modern electronics would have been completely fried by the EMP. The writers are definitely taking some liberties here. Unanswered question, who fired the EMP?

What gets me in in the first season there were 7 or 8 bombs as shown by the Japanese new cast in season one

And of the 7, Hawkins has one of those

Now there were 23? During the opening, they show a map, they IMPLY is the bomb map, it was a map from the first season showing the capitals of the new areas, at the swap grounds. And they said it was 3 governments then.

They sure are 'changing' things in season 2, liberties

They never explained the Chinese planes with relief supplies, and the fact the special report and podium was shown for days on the TV set in the bar with no one to announce

Isn't it amazing how fast they (the western states) are recovering from the effects of the EMP? Where did all the new cars, TV's and computers come from?

Obviously imported, just as they are now. ;)

What gets me in in the first season there were 7 or 8 bombs as shown by the Japanese new cast in season one

This is not a discontinuity. They simply didn't know the extent of the devestation that early. The timeline was within a week of the bombings and information was sketchy, obviously nothing coming from the US directly. By episode 13, when the group visits the trading grounds in Nebraska, they see the map showing the full extent of the devestation. Both bomb sites AND new capitals (6) are on this map:

GW227H128

In fact the first season pretty much confirmed that there were far more than just 7 bombings even earlier than that when Watkins got the radio working and started putting pins on his map.

And they said it was 3 governments then.

This has changed. The trading post episode showed 6 different territories and presidents. Now we have only 3. But its not a stretch to think that some of the earlier smaller groups joined up with others and formed the larger factions we have now as almost half a year has passed since that point.

Currently we have the Allied United States, the Old United States, and New Texas Republic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)