CBS stations return to DISH

dish-ota-module.jpg

The following was sent out by DISH last night to some reatailers and installers...

Dish has been made aware that certain CBS stations are broadcasting messages related to ongoing contract negotiations. Periodically, DISH and its channel owners must negotiate deals so that we may offer you high quality content at a fair value. We’ve reached agreements with many channel owners in the last year, including highly rated channel owners like The Walt Disney Company (which includes ABC stations) and NBC Universal.

If you receive questions from customers about this messaging, advise them that we are optimistic that we will reach agreements that allow customers to continue to enjoy their favorite shows. Switching TV providers is not the answer as all pay-TV providers face disputes with channel owners. Switching only encourages channel owners to raise rate demands and drives up the costs for everyone.

CBS Warns That Its Stations Might Go Dark On Dish Network https://tv.yahoo.com/news/cbs-warns-might-dark-dish-035221454.html
Here we go: CBS introduced a web site today warning Dish Network customers that when its carriage deal expires this month the No. 2 satellite company “may drop” the network-owned stations in 14 cities including Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Detroit. “While CBS has been able to reach agreement with all other major carriers of our stations, we are finding it difficult to reach agreement with Dish, which is why we felt it necessary to alert Dish subscribers in our stations’ markets that they may soon not have access to view our programming,” the company says.The site urges customers to complain directly to Dish, and on social media, and offers information to help them switch providers.

If CBS goes off satellite I hope they keep the OTA channels in the EPG so we can still do name based recordings.
They won't . Anytime there is a dispute ,they take down the guide information as well as the station itself. Which doesn't makes any sense because the guide information comes from Tribune ,not CBS.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just noticed a message from dish that my local CBS station in Sacramento is affected by the issue. I can get it OTA but yet another channel, too many other offers out there that are looking good hate to leave but enough is enough

i am getting ticked off at all these disputes i am looking getting a indoor antenna and also one of those ota module from dish enough is enough for goodness sakes already

Dish says that “only CBS can force a blackout of its channels” and that it is “actively working to reach a deal before the contract expires… We are unsure why CBS decided to involve customers in the contract negotiation process at a point when there is time for the two parties to reach a mutually beneficial deal.”

Ergen told analysts last week that CBS’ recent decision to stream its stations’ programming — except for major sports including NFL football — for $5.99 a month via CBS All Access “makes that product less interesting” for pay TV distributors. But he praised CBS’ high ratings and “marvelous job with content creation. I think they’re the best at that, have been the best at that and certainly are a valued partner, so I would certainly think that they’ll — that you’ll see them on Dish.”

More at deadline.com

The question here is if the channels are dropped who is to blame? CBS for wanting too much or DISH who is trying to keep their rates down for everyone?

How much is too much.

Saving Satellite or Cable is great but its useless if it does not carry the channels you want to watch.
Any price is to much, this is a channel you are supposed to get. retrans fees are BS. I feel locals should be MUST carry channels or cable/ sat. companies should be given network signals to rebroadcast and screw locals.

I agree with that last statement. Someone came up with an idea, that was also something that interested me a little. Customers could be given the choice if they want locals. If they did want locals, they pay the money through dish, straight to The locals. Dish doesn't collect a penny from it, but the customer is still given the opt out option. The only down side to that, is any price disagreements customers have with dish or the locals, they will expect dish to refund the money.
As long as channels are on Over The Air, there should not be an option for them to charge the providers, but customers also shouldn't be able to choose their market(it's local, not national broadcasts). Become a bit more loose on both sides and a bit tighter on both sides

All of this will end when the Federal government's local channel monopoly ends. Work to end cronyism by reducing the size of government. Anything else will continue business as usual. Absent that, support local channel A La Carte as a part of a telecommunication law rewrite in the next congress.

Absent that, bend over

Customers could be given the choice if they want locals. If they did want locals, they pay the money through dish, straight to The locals. Dish doesn't collect a penny from it, but the customer is still given the opt out option.

As long as channels are on Over The Air, there should not be an option for them to charge the providers
I have to disagree with the satellite or cable companies being allowed to charge for locals. Yes, they are free, but why doesn't every household get them themselves ? Because it requires work/effort on their part - buying and installing an antenna, connecting it to all of the TVs in their home, etc, etc. The cable and satellite companies provide a service in giving this to customers.

That said, the price demands made by the local stations are the real problem. Before satellite and after cable caught on, the local channels had a choice: 1) Charge for carriage and a) hope the cable companies picks them up and b) increase their viewer potential in many cases by 2 or 2) opt for must-carry and not receive compensation from the cableco. With # 2, they will still live off of advertiser revenue and just like in the first scenario, their viewer potential is increased, in turn generating more advertising revenue. Repeating the first sentence in this paragraph, the stations are the real problem and it's based on greed.

Reactions: ChadT41
They won't . Anytime there is a dispute ,they take down the guide information as well as the station itself. Which doesn't makes any sense because the guide information comes from Tribune ,not CBS.

Is there a way of recording OTA without having the guide data for name based recording? If there is I have never done it- procedure?
Thanks, Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts