CBS stations return to DISH

So what happens when CBS (for example) says "I want $2/subscriber." and won't budge and Dish says "We'll pay .02/subscriber" and won't budge?

Then I put an antenna on my roof and get it for free. It would be less of an issue if their scripted content was on Hulu Plus or Amazon, but that would be my solution if Moonves is a jerk about this.

Then I put an antenna on my roof and get it for free. It would be less of an issue if their scripted content was on Hulu Plus or Amazon, but that would be my solution if Moonves is a jerk about this.
Most of it is on Hulu, IIRC.

I think CBS has the upper hand in these negotiations.
They have the #1 sitcom on tv with Big Bang Theory.
Then there is the NFL which I would consider critical programming and my definition of critical programming is programming that is important enough to the people that watch it that it would cause substantial customer churn, if lost.

Unless dish offered OTA to these customers, which would really take almost all the power away from CBS. Just like they did with ROKUs and AMC

Reactions: TheKrell
Unless dish offered OTA to these customers, which would really take almost all the power away from CBS. Just like they did with ROKUs and AMC
AMC would be an miniscule small drop in the bucket compared to CBS during NFL in terms of numbers involved... Rokus vs antennas comparison....and at least double the cost per unit. Don't know of any refurb antennas.

I'm betting most affected would be within range of a indoor antenna, so ship a free module, and a $30 credit to purchase an antenna. Not all customers will be, but with the cities mentioned, most.

Reactions: kozmo104
I'm betting most affected would be within range of a indoor antenna, so ship a free module, and a $30 credit to purchase an antenna. Not all customers will be, but with the cities mentioned, most.

I don't think customers are going to want to mess with an antenna and OTA the same way as they would a Roku. Not quite as simple. And Charlie isn't going to have all that stuff to everyone's house by Thursday, even if it goes that way. No NFL on the most NFLish day of the year is a cluster.

Dish has a mess on their hands with this no matter how you slice it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well the extension expires tonight... I haven't seen any CBS websites put up any warnings about the channels possibly being pulled. I think that is a good sign.

I don't think customers are going to want to mess with an antenna and OTA the same way as they would a Roku. Not quite as simple. And Charlie isn't going to have all that stuff to everyone's house by Thursday, even if it goes that way. No NFL on the most NFLish day of the year is a cluster.

Dish has a mess on their hands with this no matter how you slice it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If customers were smart they'd take advantage of it. There may be more to mess with but it's a bigger benefit than a Roku.

Reactions: sam_gordon
I was at my neighbor's house the other day watching his Direct TV, he gets the Denver channels and there was a CBS spot saying Dish is going to lose CBS, urging them (Dish customers) to call Dish and tell them to settle.

I live in Palisade, Colorado and get my locals out of Grand Junction ... they are not on the "hit" list.