CBS stations return to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My first memories of cable was the many "Bulletin Board" Channels

As far as CBS, for the few shows we watch OTA is available for me

I have a vague recollection of, I think, Showtime in the late 70s or early 80s. We were watching "Thunder and Lightning" at a friend's house and they used aluminum foil wrapped around the coaxial cable to get Showtime!

According to fiercecable.com CBS is not only going to pull CBS owned stations from Dish, but Showtime and CBS Sports net as well

Here's a HBO clip from '77

Totally off topic but... back before they started programming 24/7 HBO used to play some music and a test card for several minutes before their first show of the night started. I recall around summer 1980 they were playing some tune featuring an electric violin which I believe was performed by Jean Luc Ponty. Anyone else remember this, or know what the song was?[/QUOTE]

When I got married in 1966 our first TV was an RCA Table model. If I remember correctly it had 2 knobs on the tuner one for 2-13 the other for 14-83. 2-13 clunked into each channel and had a fine tuning knob behind it 14-83 had no clunk it just spun until you found what you were looking for and fine tuned with the same knob. Of course back then there wasn't much above 13.

Extortion at its best.

Possibly.
CBS insists other providers are dealing in a ( I am amused at how freely this word is tossed about) fair manner....
More like being bent over a table and told to relax.......

No...more like having your ankles pinned behind your ears. :eeek
And how do we know CBS is taking the hardline and not willing to negotiate? Is it not possible Dish is being the stubborn one? Or they're both being stubborn.

FWIW, an article about the possible blackout in USA said they've been negotiating (unsuccessfully) for 6 months.

How common was cable TV throughout the US ? I don't remember it where I grew up until the mid to late 70s.

Cable hit our town in Columbia, PA in the early 60's.
The town is located along the Susquehanna River.
Prior to cable, we were able to get snowy reception on Baltimore and Philadelphia stations. Lancaster and Harrisburg stations were better but our antenna rotor got quite workout moving between the stations.
After cable, all stations were much better since the cable company's antennas were located on the highest point right outside the town.

I went to work for a small catv system in 1990. We had 30 something channels. Hbo was just 1 channel also.
We were in the process during that time going 2 way. Mainly for ppv which was a big deal back then. Then over the next few years started installing fiber to cut down on the number of amps that were cascaded. Before fiber 1 amp failure could shut down 40,000 people.

Back then I used to feel we were cutting edge......lol. My oh how things have changed.
I lived in Minot north Dakota in the early 70's..we got 5 or 6 channels.on cable .Minot only had 2 channels at that time..they brought in Fargo channels and a couple Canadian channels

And how do we know CBS is taking the hardline and not willing to negotiate? Is it not possible Dish is being the stubborn one? Or they're both being stubborn.
It isn't about who is taking the hardline, it's about conglomerate ownership and holding hostage completely unrelated channels relative to the dispute. AFAIK, this is about O&O CBS locals, not Showtime which is supposedly an ala carte offering. Is Showtime negotiating for a higher ala carte fee? If not, then it shouldn't be part of the dispute.

Reactions: TheKrell
It isn't about who is taking the hardline, it's about conglomerate ownership and holding hostage completely unrelated channels relative to the dispute. AFAIK, this is about O&O CBS locals, not Showtime which is supposedly an ala carte offering. Is Showtime negotiating for a higher ala carte fee? If not, then it shouldn't be part of the dispute.
Showtime shouldn't be part of the deal at all for the reasons you propose, but it is leverage or at least CBS hopes so. It shouldn't be part of the negotiations at all as prices for it have raised independently over the years, or at least I think so.

I just got a 1/2 price deal for Showtime which I'll hate to lose. Assuming it does go dark, I wonder whether I'll get it back after it comes back on? If not, I'll do what I was doing when the offer was made and that is keep SHO dark. At most I only watch the live boxing and a rare movie as SHO's original programming isn't worth watching imo.

I got to thinking the other day, which is always a dangerous thing! There is some good that comes out of these events and that is they make us think a bit about how much we are paying and questioning the value of the choices of packages/premiums we watch.

Unfortunately for us consumers this won't be like when the Turner stuff went dark and no one cared. :(

Reactions: satjay
I agree with you on the thinking is the packages I am watching so I need it when they go dark. Hearing a CBS commercial this morning in regard to dish you would think the end is here for mankind If we lose CBS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)