CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

Wait a minute! Moonves complains about Dish not carrying their commercials and how that is how the network makes its nut, but at the same time he said that the network received 1 BILLION dollars from carriage fees!!!!!! Holy CRAP!
that amount is what he wants in the future from retransmission fees. They only make a quarter of that now. Who knows what the industry will be like 4 years from now and whether they'll be able to get that kind of money.

Plus, they make many billions more than that in advertising dollars from commercials which is why they are fighting so hard. Commercials are what pay for pretty much everything in the current system for OTA broadcasters.

One thought, are channel providers paid for advertisement based on presumed recorded program viewership? Obviously live television has commercials. So is advertising revenue presumed to be just live viewing or did recorded programming get included as well in assumptions?
networks will say ok, you wanna skip, heres your new cost to carry our stations
you know its gonna happen
Curious, how much more? Imagine, 2016, you live in a Battleground state and you don't have to watch a single political ad? That is worth something! What would we be talking about 10 to 50 cents a major network channel?

DISH is the 3rd largest cable operator in the United States. If CBS pulled their O&O stations it wouldn't really hurt DISH since most of their stations are affiliates and now O&O. If CBS forced affiliates not to do business with DISH it would hurt the affiliates really bad if not put them out of business.

I have said it before but will say it again, if the networks and affiliates would give the satellite companies 3 minutes of time an hour where they could insert their own ads then there would be no AutoHop. Why do you think there is no AutoHop on any of the cable networks?

I'm kinda surprised that Dish doesn't get some positive credit for PTAT. With that enabled this summer, I was introduced to at least a couple new series that I will continue to watch this fall. Yes, I'll be skipping through the commercials, but I was before AutoHop too....

I'm kinda surprised that Dish doesn't get some positive credit for PTAT. With that enabled this summer, I was introduced to at least a couple new series that I will continue to watch this fall. Yes, I'll be skipping through the commercials, but I was before AutoHop too....

Same here with PTAT the feature introduced me to some shows I had not watched before, I decided to give them a look

Same for the wife and I. I rarely watch network shows, but with PTAT they are already there and I've given a few a look for that reason alone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

When negotiations happen again with the networks and other companies, I can see issues arising from this. If CBS wins then you will see other networks follow suit. If they lose then the other networks will probably back off. Wouldn't it be a breach of contract for CBS under their current contract? Can you imagine the negotiations with the local affiliates and how some may be dropped as a result?

From what I'm reading, CBS owns the following:

CBS also owns two independent stations: KCAL-TV in Los Angeles and KTXA in Fort Worth, Texas. It also owns two MyNetworkTV affiliates, WSBK-TV in Boston and WBFS-TVin Miami.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Before someone asks no we would not lose WSBK asaa superstation since no consent is required. Having said that folks in the Boston market be cwet unhappy to lose WSBK and WBZ TV

And if Leslie Moonves pulls his CBS stations from DISH its 17 million eyeballs that are not seeing his ads. So not only will he be losing carriage fees but a huge chunk of ad revenue.

He would kill CBS long before there were enough Hoppers in the field to even make a dent.

Baltimore 1097310
Boston 2379690
Chicago 3493480
Detroit 1842650
Denver 1548570
Dallas 2571310
Los Angeles 5569780
Miami 1583800
Minneapolis 1721940
NYC 7387810
Philly 2993370
Pittsburgh 1171490
San Francisco 2506510
Sacramento 1388570

CBS O&O account for 37.2 million homes Essentially 1/3 of the US. Not having CBS in 1/3 of Dish homes would cause a major uproar with Dish customers. That plus who is to say the other networks would not follow suit?

How long would this site last without ad-revenue?
If I wanted to I could block people from using ad blockers here. But I don't because not everyone uses an ad blocker and we make enough money to pay the bills.

The same thing goes for AutoHop... how many people have Hoppers? Your going to yank your channels from 17 million customers because less then 1% has this technology in their home? (And honestly how many use it?)

The same thing goes for AutoHop... how many people have Hoppers? Your going to yank your channels from 17 million customers because less then 1% has this technology in their home? (And honestly how many use it?)

Yes they will yank the channels because they know if they do not put a stop to it other providers will follow Dish. As you mentioned DIRECTV appears poised to roll out the technology as soon as it looks like Dish will not be liable for the technology. This will force the cable companies to follow suit. CBS will have to make an example out of Dish.

From what I'm reading, CBS owns the following:

CBS also owns two independent stations: KCAL-TV in Los Angeles and KTXA in Fort Worth, Texas. It also owns two MyNetworkTV affiliates, WSBK-TV in Boston and WBFS-TVin Miami.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a lot of football markets to lose the CBS NFL broadcasts in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)