Changes to the maps ????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stargaze

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Out there somewhere
This is out here for people to give feedback on.....

One of the pitfalls of the 4DTV receivers was the limit on the satellite name
that could be put into these receivers. (no that can not be changed)....
Coupled with the fact that if using the remote for direct access one is limited to only 2 letters if you wanted to use the remote only for direct access.

On the remotes
1=M
2=E
3=T
4=C
5=G
6=S
7=W
8=K
9=X
0=L

Since there was no i for Intelsat which is used out over the Atlantic and some asking for numbers instead for the degree of the satellite the newer maps may begin to have some numbers instead of letters for certain C-band sats over the Atlantic only.
For instance the old P9 which is now actually Intelsat 21 the new 4DTV maps would have that changed to a name now of 58 for the degree it is located at.
Other changes to a few sat names including 58 would include....
40 ..for..NSS 806
43..for . Intelsat 11
50..for. Intelsat 1R
53..for..Intelsat 707
55..for. Intelsat 805
61...for. Amazonas 1
Since this would not be too intrusive for most as these are all satellites beyond 72.0W
and they were not able to be directly accessed by the remote, (that is unless you had the guide bit turned on), this appeared to make sense to me, however before going through with it for others I wanted to throw it out here to see what some others thought.
This would only affect those c-band sat tiles listed above not the ku sat tiles.

So what do others think of this?
Does it make sense?

If others would like to have this then I will fix up the maps and first test it out here to make sure it will work properly.
Then put it up on the web and replace the old set of mappings.

Remember that ATS Electronics also receives these maps to place in other people's receivers who for one reason or another can not do it themselves.

There was at least one member here who had changed all their C-band sat tiles to numbers instead of letters and the last e-mail received they did not mention any adverse problems.

The other reason for this possible change was that there have been some massive changes in the mappings over the past month with several more channels located or that had changes made to them.

Then with the guide data on many more channels on several different satellites there were also some changes made to the channel lineup on a few satellites to try keeping some things in a better order.

The newer maps will include a new sat tile for M3 that is going to be launched next month but by my calculations that may only be visible for those in the lower 48.

The mappings will have to have M1 and Ai in the maps and those have been in there as UN-programmed sat tiles. this is due to those being active sats that are downloaded automatically when you visit certain channels ,and if they are not in there as they are , they would not be able to be used nor seen by people due to the nature of the way they are downloaded in the receivers but the TDT and channel count would reflect them anyway so those sat tiles can be used as spares for those who wanted to use something on any satellite which is not listed in the maps for those who use the receiver as a dish mover.

So what do you think?

I must not completely understand. If you did the sats as you suggest above, how would that give anyone direct access to them?

For example, let's say you designate Intelsat 11 as "43". When the user pressed Sat-4-3... wouldn't the IRD respond by selecting "C3"?? How would changing the designations, change the fact that the IRD wants to respond to the first number press with a letter?

I use Sat-5-5 all the time for "G5". But with the new method, how would the unit know if I meant "G5" or "55"?

I know you know what you're doing. So I clearly must have misunderstood something.

Cheers

No those sats that would be changed are out over the atlantic and do not presently have direct access anyway by the remote by pressing the letters/numbers...
You would go to them the same way currently by pressing sat and highlighting that sat not pressing the keypad.
So in essence nothing changed there in the way it would be acquired.
It just would look different on the sat list on the screen as it would show up something like this now....
When pressing the SAT key the top 2 rows would show....
H1 :: 40 :: 43 :: I4 :: 50 :: 53 :: 55

X1 :: 58 :: 61 :: L1 :: W6 :: K6 :: W9

The only changes would be in these top 2 rows.

Since H1, I4, X1, and L1 are ku those would not change to a number just to keep it consistent that only c-band sat tiles would change out there.
The changes actually would end at 58.0W and begin at 40.0W only.

Looking at it on the one test screen here it appears simple enough even for those who have not seen it before.

But since I need to make a change to the mappings with the additional channels I would just like to get it all done at one time if others wanted it.

Okay, gotcha.

That being the case, changing the designations on those birds shouldn't affect anyone (like me) that doesn't even have any birds farther east than 72°W programmed in. IOW... fine by me, lol.

Cheers

Back in October I quietly changed the SIT numbers on the #9 maps at the web site.
for instance this was an old SIT number
OLD >> SIT 005-58,058.0,3633,P6,C

NEW>> SIT 118-58,058.0,3633,P6,C

I have purposely left off the rest of the info from the sit lines here just to show you what needs to be changed if you want to keep your current sat position settings if you use your 4d as a dish mover.

You can copy and paste all the channel info under the current SIT line you have in your receiver and remember to change the SIT number on that SIT line though.
In the case above you would change the 005 to 118 and then under that line all the new channels from the #9 maps on the web site.

In the case here 3633 would be the dish position number, on the web site it is all listed at 5000 and un-programmed in.
So if you wanted to keep the dish position number you would in the case in red change the 5000 to 3633 or whatever your dish position number is.

Now, 2 new individual sets of maps have been posted on the website
9_zzz for a 922/905 receiver only!
and
9_xx for the 920/921 receiver.

The difference is in the low SR channels ,(that the 920/921 receivers can not pick up anyway), taken out of the 9_xx maps.
All the low SR channels are in the 9_zzz maps for the 922/905 receivers. but the 920 receivers will experience channel rollover problems due to the changes in the frequency on certain mux's if you use the 9_zzz in a 920/921 receiver.
The reason this will happen is so that the 920/921 receivers will not have any problems with channels locking up or what I call a roll-over problem. This is due to certain low SR channels that those receivers can not handle or lock anyway.
This will allow the maps to be more precise for the 922 receivers on certain channels on Galaxy 15 to come in very fast unlike what a couple of them do right now, and for future changes that can occur with these low SR channels.

Also there is was another channel lineup upheaval with the way some channels are currently numbered in the maps.

ALL of the low SR channels were placed in the 900 channel range.

The MC channels on Galaxy 14 were also placed in the 900 channel range with a different line up to try to keep the different types of music placed together in a better order.

Other channel changes included the W5 lineup so that the movie channels now begin at channel 62 and those were placed together differently then before.
Now, Encore is all together, as is Starz!, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc...

Added M3 sat tile to the maps since it is to be launched in December.

Anik F1 was reduced down from 24 channels to just 2 (a Horizontal and Vertical Channel only)
to prevent Shaw from downloading their signals into the receivers and corrupting the maps by overloading the TDT. This would occur on F1/05 with a new signal they were testing out and some who had gone there overloaded their TDT on that c-band sat.
(Thanks to those who reported this so we could fix the problem for others)

So if you loaded in maps before October 21, 2012, the new maps are very much different now.

If anyone did not understand what was said here post your questions below and I'll try to give an answer.

The only problems I can see for those who loaded in maps before October 21 are for those who use the receiver as a dish mover. If the 4d you have is slaved then you have no problem. If used as a dish mover then 20 minutes tops of work to rename the SIT number on each SIT line and saving the text file and creating it into a new bin is all you need to do.

You can always load in these new maps and just re-program in all your settings if you wish

One thing to remember is this.
Sat tile M1, A1 and Ai can be used at any location you wish but those sat tiles are active in the mappings and can change by you going to various places. They were never taken out or off certain satellite maps that are still being broadcast up there. If you delete them they will only return as a phantom sat tile you will not be able to access or program them in.
As they are currently they can be used for different sat place-holders you may want them for.

On a 920and a 921 receiver NEVER un-program any sat tile you had programmed in.
It can disappear on you permanently until you reload a new map set in the receiver.
This is due to the maps not being broadcast any longer via satellite.

If you have redone the maps earlier and want the newer ones I personally recommend that you dump the your nvram out on the X4 sat tile and resend the new maps back to the receiver at the X4 position.
If your 4d is just a slave then that does not matter but it makes a difference if it is a dish mover and you did not want to spend an hour re-programming in all the sat positions again.

Just to let others know...
On November 29 2 new sets of maps were put on the website for anyone wanting them.
These 2 new sets of maps
one called 9_xx is for a 920 or a 921 receiver (does not contain the low SR DC2 channels that the receiver can not pick up)
The other one is called 9_zzz which is for the 922 and 905 receivers only! This one will lock onto the INSP channel on Galaxy 15 in just 2 seconds since the freq was adjusted to match what was changed on that mux.
also one or two other mux's were changed slightly to pull in those low SR channels.
If anyone uses this on a 920 or a 921 receiver there will be a rollover problem where the channels will lock up and just stop when channeling up or down. Motorola used to have a special fix for this but that is lost to the ages now.
This was the only other alternative for those with a 922 receiver.

Those who use a 920 or a 921 receiver are not missing out on anything they could possibly receiver using the 9_xx maps. It is just a special set for 922 receivers so they lock onto the signals much quicker when a change occurs to these particular low SR mux's.

The regular #9 maps are not going to be updated any more and may be removed from the site in the near future.
That is unless there is feedback form others wanting it for a particular reason.

The new maps, (9_xx & 9_zzz), have been in use here for over a month now on 7 different 4d receivers with different firmware versions on 920/921 and 922 receivers without any problems.

almost forgot to add:
The new maps also rename the C-band sat tiles (out over the Atlantic only) by the degree number, instead of by a 2 digit letter. So that occurs from 72.0W to 30.0W.
The ku stat tiles still have a 2 letter id on them over the Atlantic so that should help people keep them in perspective.
From 83.0 to 139.0W the name of the sat tiles remained the same.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)