Channel change delay

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
When I recall a national channel (NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX) from a regular cable type channel I get a delay of sometimes as much as 15 seconds. Not a huge problem but I've never had this on any other Dish DVR till the Hopper. Is this a widely experienced thing?

When I recall a national channel (NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX) from a regular cable type channel I get a delay of sometimes as much as 15 seconds. Not a huge problem but I've never had this on any other Dish DVR till the Hopper. Is this a widely experienced thing?
I'm getting this too, although not quite 15 seconds. It's more like 5-10 seconds, definitely noticeable though. I've just seen this since the last couple hopper SW updates. Before that, it was fine....

mine has been doing the same thing...usually around 10 second delay. Also the sound on CBS (portland OR.) is a lot lower than other channels.. WHY??? no one seems to know. anybody else have sound problems?

Same here, since update. I've got the original hoppers and it happens on both of them.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

mine has been doing the same thing...usually around 10 second delay. Also the sound on CBS (portland OR.) is a lot lower than other channels.. WHY??? no one seems to know. anybody else have sound problems?

I get Portland OR locals as well, & my CBS (KOIN 6) is doing same thing, sound leveling didn't help either. Seems ABC 2 is louder than both 6 & 8, with 6 the lowest volume.

I noticed the slow to change channels started about a week ago. When using both the channel up or down arrows or punch in a channel number it takes about 3 to 4 seconds before the channel changes. Use to be about 1 to 2 seconds. It is happening on all my Hoppers with Sling, OTA and Satellite channels. it is still happening with the new S334 update.

I get this on my H2K also but try this. If available there are 2 active tuners. Try switching from a non-PTAT channel to a PTAT channel and check the time it takes. Then hit the swap key to switch tuners and repeat the test. I get different times when I do it.

BTW I got the latest sw update this AM and the problem is still there.

Last edited:
I've been experiencing the delay for well over a month. I see a new software version is being reported (S334) with at least some getting it today. I have not seen a reference to S334 fixing this delay problem. There is a thread now available for S334. So far I have not received it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This issue is currently being investigated and we need some additional details. If you are experiencing this issue can you please PM with the following information?

-receiver CAID
-steps to reproduce the issue (tuning from a satellite channel to a local network, using the guide, channel arrows, recall etc)
-duration of the black screen
-how long you have been experiencing the issue
-frequency this is seen
Thanks

I sent a PM as well.

Tonight we had an hour or so where we had all kinds of issues. Besides the channel switch delay which I've noticed over the past week or so, the Info/Browse/Recall/Guide buttons had very long delays...a solid 1-2 minutes in a couple of instances. On one of my Joeys the Info button sent me to a black screen that came back to a message that the link to the Hopper was not found. It eventually came back. Now, another hour later, all seems to be back to normal.