Channel Line Up change 3/31/05

remmy

Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
This was taken from the Voom website at the bottom of the channel line up page. Although it does state, on the VaVa Voom page, that Stars and Showtime HD can be dropped at anytime. It's still sad to see an HD channel go :(

1 Regional programming not available in all areas.
*STARZ! Encore will be discontinuing Encore HD East and West feeds as of March 31, 2005.
http://www.voom.com/use_it/channel_lineup.jsp

The STARZ! and SHOWTIME PlusPacks are delivered on satellite capacity that is only temporarily available to Rainbow DBS. Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting over this capacity at any time. If you have any questions about this, please call us toll free at 1.866.931.VOOM.
http://www.voom.com/see_it/programming3.shtml

I just ran across this on the channel line up page. Altough it does state on the VaVa Voom package page that both Starz and Showtime can be dropped at anytime it's still sad to see an HD channel go. :(

*STARZ! Encore will be discontinuing Encore HD East and West feeds as of March 31, 2005.
http://www.voom.com/use_it/channel_lineup.jsp

The STARZ! and SHOWTIME PlusPacks are delivered on satellite capacity that is only temporarily available to Rainbow DBS. Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting over this capacity at any time. If you have any questions about this, please call us toll free at 1.866.931.VOOM.
http://www.voom.com/see_it/programming3.shtml

I watch EncoreHD.

I'm deeply disappointed.

Voom's so-called announced demise by the CVC board has to be responsible for this; corresponding date (March 31 - end of March) is too much of a damn coincidence. EncoreHD must have been hinged upon Voom. Some people are going to be absorbed BUT with most already doing production, scheduling, master control, etc., for Encore Networks someone is going to see pink; there just won't be enough work to justify complete retention.

Ain't it just amazing how much damage Jimmy and his ignorant cohorts can cause? What schmucks.

I watch EncoreHD.

I'm deeply disappointed.

Voom's so-called announced demise by the CVC board has to be responsible for this; corresponding date (March 31 - end of March) is too much of a damn coincidence. EncoreHD must have been hinged upon Voom. Some people are going to be absorbed BUT with most already doing production, scheduling, master control, etc., for Encore Networks someone is going to see pink; there just won't be enough work to justify complete retention.

Ain't it just amazing how much damage Jimmy and his ignorant cohorts can cause? What assh*les.

Amen Brother

Yeah what Jerks i don't have Encore but if i did i would be very upset at these moment. :D

remmy and Bradley, sad indeed! I hate to see this. :mad:

But...if I'm not mistaken, when VoOm first started, there was a disclaimer about certain offerings not being guaranteed, and I'm pretty sure that Starz was one of them. That, and the $750 price tag in the beginning, is what kept me from being a "charter member". When they went with the $0 install, I took the chance on offerings being discontinued, primarily because my cable company didn't offer HD until just recently, and I hadn't liked what I read about Dish and Direct.

Now that I'm about to be a re-subscriber, this hurts my heart, but I guess that's life in the big city...the way it's done nowadays. Pity. :( Vicki

Sorry but Voom has nothing to do with it. The people that run Encore are terminating Encore not Voom. All it means is that that content will be on StarzHD.

Sorry but Voom has nothing to do with it. The people that run Encore are terminating Encore not Voom. All it means is that that content will be on StarzHD.

bradley said:
Voom's so-called announced demise by the CVC board has to be responsible for this;

No has nothing to do with it. Read the original post. Starz is terminating encore not Voom.

The announcement for encore!

That announcement was at the bottom of the channel lineup when I signed up in January. It has been there for quite a while!

vurbano said:
That was my interpretation. Seems to me it'll just make StarzHD better. But I can see how it would bother someone who paid for the Starz pack.

I think we should about whether VOOM is even going to be here on 3/31/05, before worrying about what chanels will be on.

TheTimm said:
That was my interpretation. Seems to me it'll just make StarzHD better. But I can see how it would bother someone who paid for the Starz pack.

I pay for all of the packs. And I think combining the content with starz is a good idea.

1) This is a complete restructuring of Starz, more than just dumping a channel.
2) The message Voom has been giving about the Starz Encore channels was related to their placement on the satellite. Under the terms of the STA for TPs 23 and 24, Voom is required to notify their customers that the content on those transponders is subject to removal at any time.

JL

Starz! and Showtime are located on TPs 23 & 24 which Rainbow holds an STA for (Special Temporary Authority). That disclaimer is there as a mandate from the FCC. Anything on those TPs would only be available temporarily and Rainbow would have to cease transmitting on those frequencies if the FCC said so.

Encore-HD going away has nothing to do with the STAs or the disclaimer. Encore-HD is ceasing operation and you can't carry a channel no longer in operation.

I have just spoke with Eric Becker of Starz and he has confirmed that Starz is pulling the plug on the Encode HD Feeds as of March 31st.

The reason for this is the fact that the penetration of their Encore HD service is very low by cable and satellite companies.

Again VOOM is not pulling the plug on Encore HD East and West, Starz is the one who is pulling the plug on the service.

Starz hopes to relaunch Encore HD in the future when there is more bandwidth on cable and satellite systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)