CHEAP TABLETS FOR TRAVEL???

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
Are the cheap tablets you see advertised "generally" worth it for light duty while traveling? By light duty I mean Wi-Fi connection with a little bit of general browsing and Gmail access - every few days. We cruise, and it's a pain to drag the laptop. Are there features that are must haves as well as things to avoid like the plague?

check slickdeals for daily deals on practically all you need including tablets.

Don't waste money on a cheap tablet. Get a good one that won't limit your experience. iPad remains my most fun travel computer but I did have to get a Surface Pro for those times the iPAD is limited. Get one with a broadband radio. I haven't dragged along a laptop for travel in 2 years.

I'm with Don if you can swing the freight. It'll be cheaper than buying cheap, learning you didn't buy enough, and paying again for a more capable tablet.

How cheap is cheap. I have a nook tablet that was pretty nice by itself then I downloaded the files to run android off a sd card. $80 for a used ebay nook tablet + the cost of a sd card.

Cheap, for example, the $50-100 tablets, JUNK! For the most part, you will need to spend north of $100 to get a decent tablet. Otherwise you are just throwing away your money. The cheap ones are so bad you can't really do anything on them, they are so dern slow.

Nook, kindle, Nexus 7 are good tablets. Those are in the $150-200 range. There might be something slightly cheaper out there that would do the trick.

I have to agree, the el-cheapo's aren't worth having.

I just got a Nook HD and since they've opened it up to the Google Play Store, it is a lot of excellent tablet for not a lot of money. $129 for the 7" version, $149 for the 9".

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The nooks are being discontinued, so that's either an opportunity to get an even cheaper tablet or bad because you won't get updates.

In my opinion, the best tablet for the money is the Google Nexus 7. $199 for a pure google experience and access to the play store can't be beat. You could find one used cheaper I'm sure.

The latest word on the Nook tablet line is that they won't be making them but will be partnering with someone. Of course that could fall flat as they, like all but Samsung haven't figured out how to make a profit with Android devices.

Wow. And I thought the Nook was a profit center for them, so much so they were considering selling it off. Wow.

I think the wink readers are doing fine for them, and they aren't looking discontinue them.

Android based hardware manufacturers other than Samsung are basically fighting over 1% of the overall market. Not a good position to be in.

My view is the Nook is excellent and I will most likely get a 9" one tomorrow just because. I'm not worried about follow on support as they are so cheap it isn't worth worrying about,IMO.

I just ordered the nook hd 7".

Are they shipping with updated software to access google play store?
If not how do you change the software?

I recommend the Nexus 7 over any of the tablets. I believe it has the best bang for the buck with the quad core tegra 3 processor. 16 GB version is 199 and 32 GB version is 229 at Gamestop (free games there included as well).

So they moved up the funeral from 2014 to now?

I just don't understand it. And wonder how much say MS had in it. Hmmm- Do I see Slates reading Nook books in the future?

I'll second (or third) the Nexus 7 as your best bang for the buck. There is a new model coming out soon, so the current should get a price cut. Hard to beat for the price (and even stacks up nicely against higher priced tablets).

I got mine used on ebay for $160-175 ish.

I'll second (or third) the Nexus 7 as your best bang for the buck. There is a new model coming out soon, so the current should get a price cut. Hard to beat for the price (and even stacks up nicely against higher priced tablets).

I got mine used on ebay for $160-175 ish.

I believe Staples had the nexus 7 new for $179 yesterday when I was in there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)