CHEAP TABLETS FOR TRAVEL???

I believe Staples had the nexus 7 new for $179 yesterday when I was in there

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I wouldnt doubt it, and its a great buy even at the full price for what the OP is wanting IMO.

You can get a Kindle Fire HD right now for $169. Hurry though it's for a limited time.

While it's a good tablet, I bought my wife one, the nexus is far more flexible out of the box.

Not to down the Kindle hd at all, my wife loves hers, and I've found it quite easy to use and a good tablet as well.

Same price though, I'd take the nexus personally

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

We're leaning Kindle for our Toddler, some good rugged cases and a nice kids service. 2nd is Nexus 7.

Specialized kids tablets that are nearly as expensive as those two are kinda silly by comparison.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

While I recognize Don's point at the beginning of this thread, you guys really don't seem to understand the word cheap. The OP is just looking to surf the net and check his email on the net.

I have seen a few deals on refurbished kindle fires for a little less than $100 including shipping recently. All those deals are currently expired but they are popping up regularly. Has anyone done business with cowboom? They have multiple tablets like the nook or fire starting at $60.

The refurbs are a good suggestion, I can just never suggest one of the cheap kmart tablets. You get what you pay for, not even google certified, etc. To me the lowest quality tablets that are acceptable for daily use are the Fire and Nexus 7. Even the earlier Tabs I wouldn't touch.

Some of the cheap tablets on the market are so slow/disfunctional that it makes surfing and email checking painful.

Drink the refreshing beverage- drink deep - smile, and just reach for that wallet! ;)

Guilty!

Guilty of starting a thread - then getting called away for over a week and not checking back :eek:. By "cheap" I was thinking +/- $100. All I need is light Wi-Fi headline browsing for say 1 hour every few days & Gmail access - all just a few weeks a year when we travel. I'm tired of lugging the laptop around. I do have a Wi-Fi capable Kindle with keyboard, but it is not a newer model and has the "experimental" web access - not true access, and it is pretty clunky. I may look into the fire as an up dated replacement for my old kindle (which has been all over the world and runs like a champ!). Thanks for the ideas!

You sure a smartphone isn't good enough for what you want?

Couldn't use it with my provider. I have an OLD grandfathered international cell plan that has no roaming or international charges for either the USA, Canada or Mexico. Since retiring, we spend most of our time at the beach house in Mexico, so the plan has become worth it's weight in platinum! Can't make any changes (i.e. adding data) without losing the core plan.

The Nook and the Fire sure don't have the battery life I've become accustomed to! Neither one of them has the "legs" to be used as a reader on an international trip. Looks like if I go that way, neither will replace my trusty old Kindle that goes for weeks without recharging. Are there other options that are not readers since neither of these would eliminate the kindle?

Couldn't use it with my provider. I have an OLD grandfathered international cell plan that has no roaming or international charges for either the USA, Canada or Mexico. Since retiring, we spend most of our time at the beach house in Mexico, so the plan has become worth it's weight in platinum! Can't make any changes (i.e. adding data) without losing the core plan.

Bingo! Hold onto that with velcro!

I think osu1991 has an excellent idea.

Check around to whatever area you are traveling to. There are prepaid plans in most countries just buy a sim in that country and put it in the phone. It usually has a pin to activate the sim when you get it. I have a sim I bought in Edinburgh that I put money on when I went to the UK and Germany 2 yrs ago and my Dad used it when they took vacations over there. It sent me a text when I crossed borders and it switched systems telling me if the local rate for use was different. I think the EU made some changes last year or this year that makes it the same rate across the EU now.

A smartphone is going to have wifi built in so, you can still connect to free wifi spots without even using it as a phone if you wanted.

A smartphone is going to have wifi built in so, you can still connect to free wifi spots without even using it as a phone if you wanted.
I need to find a light bulb icon to paste in here (or one of me smacking my forehead). You are 1,000% correct - a used smartphone would be rugged enough and the "phone" section doesn't need to be activated in order to use it as a WI-FI device for browsing and Gmail! Perfect solution!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts